“Great House, Great Location, Great Staff”

The Governor's House Inn
Ranked #2 of 39 Charleston B&B and Inns
Hilo, Hawaii
“Great House, Great Location, Great Staff”
Reviewed 9 April 2007

We recently visited Charleston and stayed at the Governor's House. The visit was remarkable for so many reasons!! The house and grounds are beautiful and the location could not be better - just a short walk to many restaurants and the market area. What made our stay particularly memorable was the attention to detail and the service given by the staff.

I received a call before our arrival offering to help us with dinner reservations so we wouldn't "have to scramble" when we got there. They alerted us to the fact that the Home and Garden tours were taking place during our visit and offered to get us tickets for that if we were interested as well. Once we arrived we were met by several of the employees who had been "awaiting our arrival." We were just in time for afternoon tea and talked with the ladies about the local restaurants (they had a selection of menus available to help with decisions), we decided to take the tour the next day, and we talked about their breakfast arrange-
ments for the next morning.

My husband and I are innkeepers at a small b&b in Hilo, Hawaii, and the staff at the Governor's House welcomed us and shared recipes and local lore like we were longtime friends. We will always remember the grace and charm of this lovely inn and the warmth and professionalism of the staff. Thank you for the hospitality, and come see us in Hawaii!!

Gay and Bill

• Liked — The location and staff were outstanding
  • Disliked — Everything was exceptional
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank hilohonu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
los angeles
Reviewed 22 March 2007

This is a great place to stay! Its location is within walking distance of just about any spot in downtown Charleston. My room was well-furnished, yet uncluttered, with a four-poster canopied bed, individual climate controls, and both a TV and divan for reading. And I doubt if I have ever stayed at a place with a more above-and-beyond helpful staff. Ten innkeepers--part concierge, part breakfast chef--rotate assignments through the week.

Along with the House's modern comforts, I also gained a sense of its historic past. From wandering through the parlors, amid fireplaces and chandeliers, possibly by the grand piano, or maybe from thumbing through one of the histories of the American Revolution on the Inn's shelf, I found it easy to imagine an evening conversation with the House's former owner, Edward Rutledge, a signer of the Declaration of Independence and governor of the state of South Carolina in 1798.

I would have gladly joined the Governor for afternoon tea. I rarely hang around for "tea," but on a drizzly February day, why not? Apricot white chocolate fudge was the highlight of my afternoon tasting, and the innkeepers talked me into trying their excellent Peach iced tea. I never did make it to the Aquarium, my rainy day destination.

I did have a small problem with my top floor room (Magnolia). In the eighteenth century, the top floor of a steeply gabled house was reserved for children, as a gabled roof cut off ceiling space. I had several occasions to duck my head, particularly at the toilet, which strangely was situated under one of the gables. Thomas Jefferson probably would have sought a different room, and next time, so would I.
(if you are not tall, the low ceilings might not bother you)

• Liked — quick p.s.: with all the fine dining places in Charleston, it is easy to forget the terrific little French cafe (Gaulart & Maliciet) just a block down Broad Street. Perfect for a light dinner after the rich afternoon tea!
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled solo
7 Thank wheninroam
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 March 2007

Because Charleston is such a wonderful city, my wife and I are excited to make the drive from Charlotte ever 6 months or so. Our usual hotel has become slightly stale, and friends highly recommended the Governors House inn, an opinion supported by favorable comments here, and one that we now enthusiastically share. Without question this inn is extraordinarily beautiful and well done. The inn’s staff and service are exemplary, comparable to any high end hotel. We were welcomed pleasantly by a charming innkeeper, given a tour of the property, and introduced to our room, the Middleton suite. We could not have been more pleased. The room's high poster bed, generous sitting area, fireplace (three cool evenings) and large southern porch made for an amazing experience. The jet bath was a nice touch. The breakfast was ample but not overdone, and afternoon tea was an assortment of enticing delights. If I had one suggestion it would be to reserve the timing of each guest's breakfast for planning purposes, not a major issue for us. We were delighted with our stay, and will probably make it a point to return sooner than we might have otherwise.

Stayed March 2007
5 Thank hsmitty
richmond virginia
Reviewed 8 February 2007

After three wonderful days in Charleston at the Governors House inn, my husband and I concluded this was one of the most splendid places we have ever experienced. We have been to Charleston previously, but this was our first stay at this particular inn, which we chose in part because of it’s excellent location and in part based on reviews.

I was amazed how perfectly the inn complements the romantic spirit of Charleston, and visa versa. Some hotels have distinctive personalities, and this one is brimming with graciousness and charisma. For one thing, the inn is a marvelously restored historic southern mansion, not a converted warehouse or commercial building like some others. All the first floor public living rooms are elegantly furnished with antiques and fine reproductions. We were especially taken with a huge grand piano from the 1800's. The ambiance is so peaceful that more than once we had to talk ourselves out of staying “home” and doing nothing on the incredible porch for an entire day. We stayed in the third floor Magnolia room, which has a four poster bed, small sitting area and nice sized bath with a large stand up marble shower. This room is on the lower end of the inn’s price range but was more than adequate, in fact larger than we expected. Keep in mind the inn does not have an elevator so if you stay in one of the two third floor rooms be sure you can climb a flight of stairs.

The inn serves a set breakfast that was fulfilling though not huge. There is also afternoon tea that is much more than we expected, not just the typical cookies and snacks. I could not end this review without mentioning the excellent staff, all of whom are impressive, service oriented ambassadors for Governor’s House and Charleston, and at the same time some of the friendliest people we have every encountered. There really something to the notion of genuine Charleston hospitality. All in all, I was extremely impressed by the Governor’s House inn.

• Liked — Sitting on the porch in January, helpful staff, history
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
8 Thank vaspecial
Woodbridge
Reviewed 22 January 2007

Looking for the best B&B in Charleston? Look no further than The Governor's House Inn. I have no idea where to begin....The staff is well beyond reproach. The rooms are simply stunning and are the well appointed havens all travelers yearn for. Breakfast is fabulous and the location is perfect. Aside from all the other little luxuries, the inn offers free parking which is almost unheard of in the city. My husband and I became fans of the inn about 2 years ago. Since then, we have returned to our "Charleston home" many times and will continue to in the years to come!

6 Thank mpaterson
New Jersey
Reviewed 23 December 2006

This B&B was wonderful. We stayed there the week before Christmas. The staff was great and they met our every need. Our room was called the Barbados Room. It was perfect. It had a small outside seating area outside, which led to the backyard so it was completely private. Everything was very clean and breakfast was terrific. Another plus was the town-great restaurants and shops! I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Liked — friendly staff-beautiful inn
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Jersey-TRIP
New York
Reviewed 2 November 2006

I believe The Governor’s House Inn is far and away Charleston’s finest inn from many standpoints - location, architectural distinctiveness and most importantly service. The hotels in this city are above average, and during previous trips we have tried three other high profile establishments. None had the all around appeal and advantages we found during our stay.

Highlights were:
Staff - Superior…attentive, knowledgeable and great at multitasking. We stayed four days and from the moment we walked in we felt a real affinity for the historic governor’s residence, in large part due to the people who made our lives so pleasant. They helped make our experience special.

Location – Governor’s House inn is in the south Broad area, an exclusive and primarily residential area located near, but not in, the busy market and Bay Street area shops and restaurants. The result is a quieter and much prettier experience than many other inns and hotels. Walking from the inn is the way to travel. During the day we walked to some fabulous galleries and boutiques and in the evening we walked to our dinners and other events. We loved our morning stroll along Meeting Street to the Battery. The surrounding neighborhood is simply gorgeous.

Accommodations – The grounds and interior of the mansion are spacious and immaculately maintained, really quite glorious. There are several options for kicking back with wine or some of the inn's tasty iced tea (peach, as I recall). Our room's private porch was my personal favorite, but we also enjoyed the inn’s beautiful southern piazza. Breakfast was delicious. Our room, the Jefferson suite in the kitchen house, was quiet, private and entirely comfortable. We had a living room with couch and wetbar, plus a beautiful working fireplace which we did not need in October but would certainly have been romantic if the weather had been cool. The canopy bed was delightful, and the bathroom was spacious, with a whirlpool tub. Our room was equipped with wireless internet connection, no charge. The rate wan't cheap (over $400) but we were not disappointed.

I have no hesitation giving this Inn the highest recommendation possible.

• Liked — The inn's staff, sense of style, and location
  • Disliked — Our limited time to enjoy
  • Tips/Secrets — You don't need a car if you are not taking a day trip outside Charleston
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple