“Just Wonderful”

Ranked #2 of 40 Charleston B&B and Inns
UK/USA
“Just Wonderful”
Reviewed 6 August 2007

My husband and I stayed here as a second honeymoon/romantic long weekend and I can honestly say it was amazing! The staff were superbly kind, friendly, welcoming, helpful - and genuinely so. We had booked into St Micheals room as it was a bit less expensive, the AC wasn't quite perfect so we were offered to be moved immediately to the Laurens Room - a very generous upgrade. The St. Micheals room was beautifully decorated/furnished and I would have loved staying in it too. The St. Laurens was larger and more fancily decorated but the best thing about it was the very large piazza/balcony which was also beautifully decorated - it looked like the cover of a Homes and Gardens Magaine. We enjoyed breakfast there each morning. Proper pots of tea were served which is always nice for a Brit abroad, yet we also got a taste of true Southern home cooking with the complimentary Afternoon Tea each day.
Having free onsite parking was a bonus but once we had arrived we barely needed the car as the Governors House is a great location to explore Charelston town from - a short walk to most attractions and resaurants. Or a quick rickshaw ride.
The staff could not have been kinder.
The food was great.
The house itself was beautiful - it felt like somewhere you would normally pay to walk around and gaze admiringly at for 30mins - to syat there for a long weekend, and have it really feel like home, was a real treat.
I have never been compelled to write a report before and I canot recommend this place any higher! Splurge on staying here if you can - it is well worth it.

• Liked — Amazing combination of sophistication/style with home comforts and friendliness
  • Disliked — Lack of choice for breakfast,althought the food itself was really lovely and fresh
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sylviebee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
San Francisco
Reviewed 9 May 2007

That has always been my Southern dream and it came true at my stay in the Governor's House.

From the moment we walked in we were swept away but Southern charm and hospitality. One of the innkeepers immediately sat us down, took our luggage and made us feel right at home. She gave us a fantastic overview of the city, made great suggestions on what to see, eat and experience.

The Inn is amazing, historic and so Southern. It is located in the perfect area to walk to shops, restaurants and to admire the amazing homes of Charleston. The entire city is dripping with Jasmine and the incredible smell overtakes you when you stroll down the streets.

Our room was cozy but decorated beautifully from a lace canopy bed to charming wooden shutters. The main areas of the inn were just as beautiful. The house was full of antiques and the porch came complete with couches and rocking chairs.

Every night they have an afternoon tea with cakes, cookies, crackers and spreads and your choice of iced or hot tea. They also invite you to sip sherry in their parlor whenever you might feel inclined.

If you stay in Charleston, stay here.

7 Thank djr76
Westchester County, New York
Reviewed 30 April 2007

We stayed in this lovely B&B in Mid-April. The Inn is incredibly decorated and very comfortable. The staff was very kind and made sure we felt at home immediately.

The tea can sometimes be more interesting than the breakfasts! We expecially liked the large, secluded porch and the off-street parking is a nice amenity to have in this area of Town.

You can walk to everything from here. We highly recommend the Governor's House Inn.

• Liked — The people at the inn - the service.
  • Disliked — The price. But you get what you pay for.
3 Thank Happy_TravelersNY
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed 15 April 2007

Once you forget the price (over five hundred dollars for the Laurens Room #3), you will have a memorable stay. The location is about as good as a tourist could hope for: the inn is on the street that separates the historic residential area (the reason one comes here) from the shops and restaurants. The inn is thus at the hub of everything a tourist is looking for.
The service at the inn is round-the-clock and is faultless. From making suggestions for tours to recommeding restaurants (with copies of their menus), from showing the property to serving afternoon tea (actually you can have tea anytime) with wonderful cakes and confections, from printing boarding passes to recommending day trips, the staff do everything, and do it well.
The Laurens Room is wonderful. It is spacious with high ceilings and a four-poster bed and gas fireplace, which we used every night during an unusual cold spell for April. But what is most "Charleston" is the adjoining porch area, called a piazza by the locals, with rockers and chairs and all sorts of potted plants--a wonderful place to plan the next foray. The only fault with the Laurens Room is that the bathroom is relatively small-- no tub, just a shower. I believe the Middleton Room next door costs a little more but has a larger bathroom and is thus relatively a better value. That would be my pick on my next visit.
One of the staff recommendations was to take a walking tour conducted by Tommy Dew. By all means, anyone interested in getting a true feel for the history of Charleston should take this tour. It was the highlight of our stay. He charges $20 a person for the 90 minute tour. We have traveled all over the U.S. and Europe, and he's the best.
Breakfast is served from 8:00 to 9:30 in the dining room. I think the staff will bring breakfast to your room, but all the guests seem to prefer the elegant dining room. So it was no surprise that on one of our three mornings there were too many guests wanting to be served at 9:20. Breakfast is usually a bowl of fruit with some type of quiche, not as much of a choice as some may wish. But this is not a hotel.
All in all, the inn has a great location and a great staff. And even though the furnishings and decor may be anachronistic to Edward Rutledge's day, the inn manages to convey the essence of Charleston.

• Liked — location, comfort, service
  • Disliked — the cost (for Charleston)
5 Thank Beaune
Hilo, Hawaii
Reviewed 9 April 2007

We recently visited Charleston and stayed at the Governor's House. The visit was remarkable for so many reasons!! The house and grounds are beautiful and the location could not be better - just a short walk to many restaurants and the market area. What made our stay particularly memorable was the attention to detail and the service given by the staff.

I received a call before our arrival offering to help us with dinner reservations so we wouldn't "have to scramble" when we got there. They alerted us to the fact that the Home and Garden tours were taking place during our visit and offered to get us tickets for that if we were interested as well. Once we arrived we were met by several of the employees who had been "awaiting our arrival." We were just in time for afternoon tea and talked with the ladies about the local restaurants (they had a selection of menus available to help with decisions), we decided to take the tour the next day, and we talked about their breakfast arrange-
ments for the next morning.

My husband and I are innkeepers at a small b&b in Hilo, Hawaii, and the staff at the Governor's House welcomed us and shared recipes and local lore like we were longtime friends. We will always remember the grace and charm of this lovely inn and the warmth and professionalism of the staff. Thank you for the hospitality, and come see us in Hawaii!!

Gay and Bill

• Liked — The location and staff were outstanding
  • Disliked — Everything was exceptional
4 Thank hilohonu
los angeles
Reviewed 22 March 2007

This is a great place to stay! Its location is within walking distance of just about any spot in downtown Charleston. My room was well-furnished, yet uncluttered, with a four-poster canopied bed, individual climate controls, and both a TV and divan for reading. And I doubt if I have ever stayed at a place with a more above-and-beyond helpful staff. Ten innkeepers--part concierge, part breakfast chef--rotate assignments through the week.

Along with the House's modern comforts, I also gained a sense of its historic past. From wandering through the parlors, amid fireplaces and chandeliers, possibly by the grand piano, or maybe from thumbing through one of the histories of the American Revolution on the Inn's shelf, I found it easy to imagine an evening conversation with the House's former owner, Edward Rutledge, a signer of the Declaration of Independence and governor of the state of South Carolina in 1798.

I would have gladly joined the Governor for afternoon tea. I rarely hang around for "tea," but on a drizzly February day, why not? Apricot white chocolate fudge was the highlight of my afternoon tasting, and the innkeepers talked me into trying their excellent Peach iced tea. I never did make it to the Aquarium, my rainy day destination.

I did have a small problem with my top floor room (Magnolia). In the eighteenth century, the top floor of a steeply gabled house was reserved for children, as a gabled roof cut off ceiling space. I had several occasions to duck my head, particularly at the toilet, which strangely was situated under one of the gables. Thomas Jefferson probably would have sought a different room, and next time, so would I.
(if you are not tall, the low ceilings might not bother you)

• Liked — quick p.s.: with all the fine dining places in Charleston, it is easy to forget the terrific little French cafe (Gaulart & Maliciet) just a block down Broad Street. Perfect for a light dinner after the rich afternoon tea!
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled solo
7 Thank wheninroam
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 March 2007

Because Charleston is such a wonderful city, my wife and I are excited to make the drive from Charlotte ever 6 months or so. Our usual hotel has become slightly stale, and friends highly recommended the Governors House inn, an opinion supported by favorable comments here, and one that we now enthusiastically share. Without question this inn is extraordinarily beautiful and well done. The inn’s staff and service are exemplary, comparable to any high end hotel. We were welcomed pleasantly by a charming innkeeper, given a tour of the property, and introduced to our room, the Middleton suite. We could not have been more pleased. The room's high poster bed, generous sitting area, fireplace (three cool evenings) and large southern porch made for an amazing experience. The jet bath was a nice touch. The breakfast was ample but not overdone, and afternoon tea was an assortment of enticing delights. If I had one suggestion it would be to reserve the timing of each guest's breakfast for planning purposes, not a major issue for us. We were delighted with our stay, and will probably make it a point to return sooner than we might have otherwise.

Stayed March 2007