“Awesome Place to Say and Relax”

Phoebe Pember House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charleston
Phoebe Pember House
Ranked #33 of 40 Charleston B&B and Inns
Savannah, Georgia
“Awesome Place to Say and Relax”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2012

This place is a hidden gem in Charleston! I happened to hear about it from a friend who had stayed there. We stayed in a carriage house that was clean and well kept. The location is great! It is in the historic district, but it is isolated enough so as to be quiet and not as loud as the hotels near the market. Carolyn and Henk are what makes the place special. They are truly hospitable and exude southern charm and graciousness! You can also take Yoga and meditation classes which are a nice amenity. Hands down THE BEST PLACE TO STAY IN CHARLESTON!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

I would like to start by saying that to stay in Charleston, SC is expensive compare to other cities in the U.S., especially in the small area of the downtown historic district that we wanted to stay in. With that being said the PPH was the most affordable place with the perfect location and free parking. I booked the room over the phone with Beth. There was a minor issue with confirmation because at the time of our travel Beth was no longer there and they were in the process of replacing her. After a few tries we were able to contact someone over the phone (which happened to be the owner). It was a good thing we did because the booking was off for one day. At the end it was resolved to everybody’s satisfaction and we do believe this was just a one-time occurrence. Also, the new innkeeper (at least we thought she was), Charlotte was really friendly.

The B&B itself is a quaint and quite place, which made it an adequate place to stay. Again, it is situated in a perfect location with a 24-hours supermarket right across the street. Also, we only had to walk a few blocks down East Bay to get to the area with all the restaurants and bars and the historical exchange building.

As mentioned in the previous reviews, it is an old house with paper thin walls and we could hear everything going on around us. But, as mentioned before, it is an old historical home and we sort of expected to have some of the ‘issues’ that come with it. Also, our neighbors kept similar schedule to ours so the noise factor was not too bad. But we could definitely image a worst case scenario such as loud neighbors. We did not find the place dirty at all, in the contrary, we think the room was well maintained. Breakfast was served every morning in the little courtyard, which felt refreshing. It consisted of granola, yogurt, coffee, muffins, and juices.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank TeamRoJo2004
Albuquerque, New Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

Staff was terrific, very down to earth and helpful. The setting is fairly serene, considering the location is right off of a very busy street. It's conveniently located, within walking distance to everything and very close to local supermarket...that's the good news. The staff doesn't have far to go to pick up the supermarket made muffins for breakfast. So if one of the things you look for in a B & B is a lovely homemade breakfast (even a continental one)...PP House will disappoint. Even the fruit seemed pre-cut.
The other very bad news is that the place is a wreck and a kind of dirty. The paint was peeling off the rotting wood of the windows and the bathroom needed a good "toothpick" cleaning. Oh, one more thing, my toe kept getting stuck in a hole in the sheet.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank lv2trvl714
PhoebePemberInn, Manager at Phoebe Pember House, responded to this review, 25 May 2012
We're not sure who this anonymous February guest is and do not understand these complaints. We have no complaints from guests brought to our attention during that time. It is important to us that our guests have good experiences here and we take great measures to provide that. We have many favorable reviews in our guest books from guests who tell us how much they enjoy our stay with us--the kindness and professionalism of our staff, the beauty of our 200 year old property, the amenities such as yoga, massage, and personal retreats that we offer. We are constantly doing upkeep on our historic property and it has been lovingly renovated. Our linens are top quality and replaced frequently. Our property is on Charleston's Historic Preservation list of Category One properties, which is the highest category it gives. I hope such a negative review will not give others the wrong impression of Phoebe Pember House. We have many, many happy guests.

Travellers are raving about these Charleston hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at the Phoebe Pember House from Feb. 20th-23rd, 2012 after finding the establishment through Tripadvisor. I researched several B&B's in the historical "Peninsula" area of Charleston, and most were far more expensive than the P.P. House. I paid $125 per night ($135 - $10 AAA discount) which included breakfast served in my room each morning. I've read some negative comments about the breakfast, but it was perfect for me. I enjoyed the fresh fruit salad, yogurt, and muffins and wouldn't have chosen to eat anything heavier as I wanted to be light on my feet for exploring, and wanted to save room for the delicious southern fare I had for lunch and dinner. Sipping my coffee each morning, sitting on my sunny doorstep, while planning my day, was just right for me. I loved the convenience of the P.P. House, as I was able to walk to all of the cultural and historical sites, and felt safe at all times. My car stayed parked in the courtyard throughout my stay. The surrounding environs are gorgeous, with incredible architecture, gardens, fountains, and churches at every turn - a feast for the senses - reminded me of a smaller, more refined New Orleans...sigh...I even saw dolphins leaping in the harbor literally almost across the street....
I stayed in the "kitchen room" that I've seen another guest ("Coach67") describe negatively. Once again, for me, it was nearly perfect! The room was large, so I kept the Murphy bed (which I found totally comfortable) folded out at all times. There was also a sitting area, a table for breakfast, several wing chairs and a (non-working) fireplace. The first night was a bit chilly, but there was a space heater which I utilized. The room had some original artwork and interesting lamps. There were several quirky aspects to the room: only 2-3 hangers in the closet (but ample shelves); no tissues or water glass in the bathroom; no wastebasket in the main room, just the bathroom; I couldn't figure out how to put the Roman curtains on the doors and windows up and down etc. BUT I'm quite sure that if these issues had been important enough for me to bring up to Beth, that she would have taken care of them ASAP. It was a bit odd to be right next to the office - there were times I could vaguely hear the fax machine, or faint voices, but this never disturbed my sleep, or my stay. If you're seeking a full amenities/service hotel, with eggs benedict for breakfast, then the Phoebe Pember house may not be the right fit for you, but for this 50+ year old woman traveling solo, it was nearly perfect! I recommend that you give it a chance, with an open mind...

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank fantasticfifty
slc
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

We booked this b and b because it was sponsored by the retreat that we were attending. It was a charming property but it smelled horrible. It had the worst moth ball smell. When I asked the attendant the next day about the smell she said that it was not moth balls but just old. I know a moth ball when I smell it, so the next day I talked to the wonderful woman at the desk and she said she would have the people remove them.

Finally we called and said that we had to leave early, that we could not breath. She apologized for not removing the moth balls and agreed to let us check out. It was not a good experience.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank megaverett
Rocky Top, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

We stayed at the Phoebe Pember House Oct. 20-23. I will admit that after reading some of the reviews I was beginning to worry that I had made a bad choice. Well, let me set the record straight. We had an amazing experience! Before even arriving I spoke with Beth and asked if she could assist me with scheduling a couples massage, and with arranging for a bottle of wine to be placed in our room upon arrival. Both were taken care of without any issue. When we arrived, Beth met us and briefly took us on a tour of the property before showing us to our room.

The room itself was PERFECT. Many people have posted negative comments about the property saying the rooms didn't look like the pics or that they were "old" looking. HELLO, its a 200 year old property! Our room was even more perfect than the pictures portrayed. Vaulted ceiling with exposed beams, walk-in closet, 4 poster bed, light & airy color scheme. Every day that we returned to our room it felt like coming home. And, just as requested, upon arrival we had a bottle of wine chilling on a silver tray in our room. The only negative was that the walls were quite thin and you could hear every move or conversation of those around you. But we had to take into account the age of the building. It was hardly enough to discourage us.

There were also some negative comments made about breakfast which I found to be completely uncalled for. Each morning we had incredible homemade granola with fresh fruit, yogart, muffins, juice and coffee/tea. It was just enough and the granola was wonderful! The only suggestion I could possibly make in this area would be that they offer something a little different each day just to break it up a little. But overall, it was great.

I have to say that Beth was wonderful and I regret that we didn't get to say good-bye to her before leaving on Sunday. She really helped to make our weekend special. She was so helpful and sweet. Thank you Beth for helping us to create a wonderful memory. We will definitely be staying with you again!!

Room Tip: I highly recommend the room we had! Kitchen house, upper level. Beautiful!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Crystalpalmetto
indianapolis
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2011

As most would agree...finding a B&B in Charleston S.C. on short notice is difficult. I was able to make arrangement at this facility. I needed to stay 2 nights, and was told I would have to switch rooms after the first evening...minor inconvenience.

When we arrived, we were shown to a room that was....well, less than exemplary. This room was not mentioned, nor pictured on their website...for obvious reasons. Right next to the office, and stairwell, let alone the front door curtains didn't cover the whole dooor, and right outside was the main sidewalk...The murphy bed was cozy, but quite inconvenient, when we had to move living room furniture out of the way.

The 2nd nights room was a room pictured on the website, but very misleading to the pictures. Bathroom was very small. 6X8 at best. The bed was quite beautiful, but of minimal quality. When we arrived at this room after an evenings activities, it was found the A/C was not functioning. A quick phone call resulted in an answer of "there is a fan in the room somewhere, we just found out the a/c isn't working? Really, I believe there are a/c services working 24 hrs. in any city. None of the windows would open, so we had to leave a small balcony door open to cool off, as best we could.

Breakfast each morning was served in a courtyard. Cold cereal consisiting of yogurt, and granola, as well as cold muffins made from a local bakery. A small cup of fruit. The same thing each day, no variety, and nothing HOT but the coffee. It was also a continental style breakfast.

I was offered a small discount upon our departure. Im sure it was the least that could be done. I would not recommend this establishment to anyone looking for a cozy, friendly bed and breakfast atmosphere.

I am sure the response from Pember House, will be the typical form letter as previously seen. Upmost standards, Historical Value......etc.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Coach67
PhoebePemberInn, Manager at Phoebe Pember House, responded to this review, 17 February 2012
The Phoebe Pember House is pleased to have guests who leave comments in our guest books saying how lovely their time with us was, how they enjoyed the setting and delicious breakfast, how helpful the staff was and how they look forward to returning for another stay with us. Our guest books are full of comments such as these from the great numbers of our guests who thoroughly enjoyed their stay with us here in an historic bed and breakfast in the heart of Charleston’s beautiful Historic District. We often welcome returning guests as well as those who have come on the recommendation of friends who have stayed with us previously.

To all our prospective guests, please be assured that we always want you to leave us happy and looking forward to returning in the future. It is disappointing to us as well that these guests were unhappy. Air conditioning units do sometimes fail without warning. However, repairs had been completed shortly prior to these guests returning to their room that evening and the rooms were a comfortable temperature not long thereafter.

In our continuing efforts to provide a place where you can rest, relax and restore, we do make every effort to serve a healthy and wholesome breakfast, which most of our guests are very happy to have. Therefore, our breakfast consists of fresh fruit, organic yogurt, whole grain cereals, muffins and/or breads and coffee, tea and juice. We are always happy to make every effort to accommodate any dietary restrictions you may have as well. Most of our guests also enjoy having breakfast served under the wisteria arbor in one of our beautiful walled gardens, our traditional location for breakfast service. Should any guest prefer not to have breakfast in our garden setting, we are always happy to accommodate them indoors, as we do when the weather is inclement.

It is confusing to our prospective guests when they read a review such as this one. We hope you will be largely influenced by the much greater number of happy guests and give us the opportunity to share our oasis in the heart of Charleston with you. We look forward to meeting you.