“Highly Recommended!”

Phoebe Pember House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charleston
Phoebe Pember House
Ranked #32 of 39 Charleston B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 August 2009

Our family visited Phoebe Pember house in May during the Spoletto Festival in Charleston. We had a great experience there. We received top notch service and special attention from the B&B staff and owner. They were able to give us great recommendations for what events to attend and where to dine. The location is ideal; we were able to walk to every event that we attended over the weekend (never moved the car once). The calm atmosphere was a perfect escape from the crowded streets the city had during Spoletto. The rooms were very clean and the bedding was so comfortable, we had to crawl back in every day for a nap. Essentially, we were very at home there and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Travel_Bug_rbb

Reviewed 14 August 2009

I have stayed at the Phoebe Pember House a number of times over the past year and am always delighted by my rooms, the pleasant staff, the morning breakfast, and the unique amenities this bed and breakfast offers. The Phoebe Pember House is a one-of-a-kind lodging because it offers yoga, meditation, and even private counseling on-site in a calming, centered atmosphere. The bed and breakfast is attached to a nonprofit institute called the Sophia Institute and through this organization guests at the Phoebe Pember House have access to some of the most forward thinking spiritual speakers and leaders not only in this country but from around the world.

After reading some of the reviews posted on this sight I wonder if perhaps some of the dissatisfied guest comments were made by those who would be better suited to staying in a more 'happening' hotel. This is not a place particularly well suited to those interested in partying and going out all hours of the night. It is, however, perfect for guests looking for a place to relax and recenter while still being close to all the cultural offerings of Charleston. It seems to be the perfect place in Charleston for easy access to the downtown sights (all just a couple of blocks away it seems!) while still having a quiet 'oasis' to come back to at night.

I have always had nothing but the most exceptional experiences with both the staff and the owners of this bed and breakfast. They were warm, courteous, obliging, and genuinely helpful. The staff seemed genuinely interested in making sure my visit was as pleasant as possible and they went to great lengths to help my design a great deal of my trip. I have also had some great conversations with the two owners and they always stop by at breakfast to see if everything is to my liking.
I have stayed in a number of different rooms at this inn over this past year and have found them all to be quite satisfactory. The images on the website seem to me to accurately represent the rooms available as I have stayed in at least two of the rooms pictured. All of the beds have been heavenly soft, the bathrooms modern, and the furnishings beautiful and well chosen. The rooms have obviously been restored to their original splendor. Also, the outdoor piazzas are stunning and the perfect way to relax under an arbor or with the tinkling of a fountain in the background.
Lastly, I should also say that the breakfast has always been a quality one. Fresh pastries and juice and hot coffee. I have had it served both outside on the piazza when the weather was nice as well as on a silver tray one morning when it was raining. It has always been a great start to my day.

This has turned into quiet a long review but I was frankly a little shocked at some of the less than generous reviews that came before it. Maybe things have changed a great deal since the last review was in October of 2008! I hope this review can set things to rights a little. I have always loved staying at the Phoebe Pember House and I would hate if folks were dissuaded by what I think is an inaccurate portrayal of the inn displayed on this website.
Cheers!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 October 2008

I know Charleston, I know Charleston bed and breakfasts, and believe me, you can do LOTS better than the Phoebe Pember House! I booked the carriage house for a couple of days' stay in September---we'd brought friends from France who'd never been to Charleston and thought having that extra space would be ideal for two couples. Besides, the photos of the carriage house looked so adorable! Imagine our disappointment to find a dark and bedraggled living room, a terrace whose table and chairs were absolutely loaded with bird droppings, and two bedrooms, one of which was plain and tattered to the point of ugliness. Since we gave our guests the better of the two rooms, of course, I can't report in detail on their room. At a distance, it looked attractive enough, though.
Overall, the accommodations were dingy and careworn and very disappointing. If this were your aunt's house and you were staying for free, you'd be gracious and grateful to be there, I guess. But at the rates the Phoebe Pember House charges (on the high end for Charleston), it's an insult to provide rooms that are so little cared for.
The location is not good, what with the East Bay Harris Teeter and associated traffic noise right across the street.
I have no problems, of course, with this b and b being also the site of yoga retreats and suchlike, but this fact may account for some of the positive reviews here on Trip Advisor. I assume the programs offered by the Sophia Institute are enjoyed by the people who attend them, but for the discriminating tourist, the rooms and services are decidedly below par. In our rooms in the carriage house, there were new age magazines and brochures everywhere, which probably attests to the fact that this is the main purpose of the Phoebe Pember House, that of providing rooms for workshop attendees.
The breakfasts were lamentable, featuring dried cereal, cheap yogurt, large and lumpish-looking pastries that no doubt came from Harris Teeter, and bad coffee. There was nothing to redeem this meal.
Charleston is one of the world's most beautiful cities, so it was especially distressing to have this bed and breakfast as an introduction to it for our visiting friends from abroad. Two much better places to stay are: 15 Church Street B and B and the Cabell House Bed and Breakfast, also on Church Street, both of which are immaculate and very attractive.
I'm sorry to give such a negative review, but I feel obligated to point out the fact that the Phoebe Pember House is not what it should be and is not what it appears to be on its website.

Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank Vivianite
Reviewed 24 September 2008

This had to be the most horrific B&B experience I have ever had! Very overpriced tacky closet of a bedroom. Antiques Not! Beuatiful art Not! Website is very misleading - have no idea who Ms Pember was or what the house looked liked. If you want breakfast go into town. rock hard Muffins and croissant....Yum. smelly room...noise from the street all night...And I loved the feeling of the hard burlap rug when I got up in the morning! Yoga studio!!! with one class on Saturday! Oasis -
we thought about going to a different hotel..but were too tired and dissapointed....

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank squirel01
Reviewed 10 August 2008

I found Phoebe Pember house to be just the peaceful retreat I needed to get away and quiet my thoughts. The bedding in the Kitchen House room was just too luxurious to stay out of, so nap time was on the agenda - and blissful.

The Yoga right there on the property was unlike any I'd experienced in 10 years of practicing all over the country - and overseas. It enriched my practice even more.

The personal touches offered by the Henk and Carolyn, the lovely breakfast, and tips for visiting Charleston (my first time) added to the experience. Not to mention the restaurant recommendations - spot on.

The location is ideal, shame I can't keep it a secret so when I go back, "my room" is still available.. :) Thank you again, Carolyn and Henk, for a blissful week!

Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank VLC-CO
Reviewed 18 July 2008

I couldn’t have envisioned a better place to spend our wedding anniversary! The carriage house was the perfect choice, very quiet and with its own private entrance. We found the breakfast to be exceptional. We especially loved all the organic offerings. You just don't find that too many places. Your custom-made granola is the best we've ever been served. The staff and the personal care is top-line, enhancing an already lovely setting. Charleston was already one of my favorite cities and Phoebe Pember House has instantly become my top-choice for a bed and breakfast in town. We hope to return to this charming place many times. Thanks for making this a memorable weekend!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank GBE_in_NC
Reviewed 3 July 2008

Inkeeper met us, showed us our room with gorgeous antiques in it . Comfortable bed and atmosphere. Every request was responded to. Breakfast bountiful, beautiful, nutritious, engaging conversation. Group microwave and refrigerator helpful. Meditative, quiet surroundings for personal retreat. Forward looking offerings - I attended four extremely helpful programs.

Stayed: July 2007