“Exactly What I Was Looking For”

Charleston History Tours
Ranked #42 of 224 Tours in Charleston
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Experience Charleston’s incomparable beauty, unique history and flourishing preservation with your acclaimed guide, Joyce Weir, whose knowledge of Charleston heritage, culture, and architecture is unmatched. Your 2 hour tour can be customized to what interests you most, which may include magnificent mansions, mysterious graveyards, graceful gardens, Revolutionary and Civil War sites, secret passageways, cobblestone streets,slave history. Got a camera? Photo tips provided! Tours depart 7 days a week at 96 Meeting Street in Washington Park. 9am in July and August. 10am the rest of the year. Reservations required.
Fort Myers
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 165 helpful votes
“Exactly What I Was Looking For”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I have taken Photo tours before and ended up getting pics of me taken by photographer and then another that spent more time with photography 101 than any history. Joyce offered what I was looking for- a history tour that took me to photogenic spots. I read a history book and toured before but learned even more on this excursion. Cannot say enough about Joyce and this tour. I will sign up for her again to see and hear about more cool stuff in this remarkable city.

Visited July 2014

48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Knowledgable and Funny Tour Guide”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Number one thing to know about this trip is get there early to make sure you find the park, it is hard to find if you've never been there before. Its not a 96 Meeting Street!

Besides the issue of finding the park, I was able to contact the tour guide and find it immediately.
Joyce was a bucket of laughs and amazingly knowledgable throughout the town of Charleston. I learned a lot and had some knowledge I thought was right corrected!

I would highly recommend this tour.

millstadt
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Learned a lot in 2 hour walking tour”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Joyce is a wonderful tour guide and she was very knowledgable about the neighborhoods and the history of the buildings. Even though there were only 3 of us, we didn't feel rushed or hurried through the walk. Her photo tips were very helpful and I will use them in the future. I recommend this tour to anyone who wants to learn about Charleston with a pleasant guide.

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great way to capture unique shots”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Joyce was a wonderful tour guide. As an avid photographer, she had tips on how to frame some beautiful shots, and manipulate the scene a bit to make it seem as though you were back in time. One of the best qualities was her personal passion for Charleston and it's people. We stopped to talk to a basket weaver, workmen, shopkeepers, and it was delightful. Put on your walking shoes and be prepared to cover a lot of ground.It was delightful.

Visited June 2014
PicturePerfectWalks, Owner at Charleston History Tours, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you for your 5 Star review! So glad you enjoyed touring Charleston with me. I hope to see you on your next visit to Charleston! Thank you, Joyce Weir
Coventry
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Excellent Personal Tour”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Our tour guide, Joyce Weir, was excellent. We were surprised by the fact that we were the only two people on this tour, but as a result had wonderful personal attention. Joyce is so knowledgeable on the history of Charleston and was such fun. The tour lasted two hours in the blazing sun, but Joyce did not rush us one bit. She took us to some lovely places and showed us how to position ourselves and the camera to get a better picture. I was a bit concerned by the fact that I only use a compact camera with fixed lens, but this was sufficient. Joyce told us that some people come along with iPhones to take pictures. It's definitely a history tour and not a photographic instruction guide. Was great, would recommend it to anyone.

Visited June 2014
HistoryTour, Owner at Charleston History Tours, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you for your 5 star review! So glad to know you really enjoyed two hours of magnificent Charleston. I hope you'll join us on your next visit too! Thank you, Joyce