“Definitely a must see and do”
Review of The Brass Pirate - CLOSED

The Brass Pirate
More attraction details
Owner description: A retail shop and adventure store for pirates, historical enthusiasts, junior swashbucklers, and the curious. We offer kids' toys, shirts, hoodies, pirate hats, baseball caps, flags, and much more. Our best seller is the Treasure Hunt; a historical scavenger hunt for information around Charleston that that whole family will love! Treasure Hunt pricing: 1-4 people = $28 + tax 5-6 people = $35 + tax 7 people = $40 + tax 8+ persons = Two kits + tax Additional Treasure Hunt information: Hunts take an estimated 1.5-2.5 hours depending on the group and if the treasure hunters stop for a break, or have smaller children. Treasure Hunt kits are available everyday, all day. We ask that large groups call to make a reservation. Please call for further details.
Reviewed 26 May 2014

The Brass Pirate is one of the most unique shops in all of Charleston and it’s the only pirate shop. The treasure hunt was one of my favorite things to do. It really dashes into the history of pirates and gives a different take that the average tourist will miss. The tour is very informative and lots of fun especially for kids and adults who like adventures…just don’t do it on a hot afternoon. The shop itself is amazing. It feels like you walk into the past itself. Just exploring the shop is a quest. The merchandise includes everything from the typical hats, hoodies, and small trinkets to a divers helmet, beautifully hand crafted nautical pieces and real working compasses. Every age will find something at all prices they will want to take home. I certainly did! There is even a website larger more expensive merchandise can be bought on if you see something you like and don’t want to put it in a suitcase for traveling home.

1  Thank JoRdAn1420

Reviewed 18 April 2014

We have three elementary age very athletic kids. We read about The Brass Pirates treasure hunt before our trip and planned it into our trip. It is in the back of a small indoor shopping center so you will need directions for sure. It's a tiny little pirate themed shop. We paid the $30 and were given the choice of a Pirate themed "hunt" or a Historic "hunt". With kids we chose the Pirate one. We were given a bag which included a clue sheet, compass, pencil, and sheet to put your answers. Unfortunately the clerk warned us that a few of the answers had already been written in because of construction around town and inability to see clues. We were also told that at a normal pace it should take about two hours but that we could do it over several days if we wanted too. What we weren't told is how much walking we were in for. We knew this is a walking treasure hunt but wow! We got half way through and were EXHAUSTED and hungry. Please note you are not going to be near any trolly stops or any food stops at all so if you get tired you have to trudge ahead or hoof it back to your car. The clues were interesting especially the grave yards dating back to the 1600's and the history of Black beard. However our kids were bored by 3/4 of the way through, tired, hungry, and grouchy by the end. When we finished the clerk was really sweet to dress them in pirate hat, sword, and hook hand while she "knighted" them as Captains using a real sword. It was cute. Now for the "treasure" we were given a small jolly roger flag, really?? Also please note that the compass in your bag provided is novelty, ours didn't work you will NEED the map given. If you have time to do this over a few days its worth it, if you want to attempt it all in one day eat first or pack snacks and water you will need them!

2  Thank Becky F
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Our family-parents and 10 year old twins did a great walking tour with Brian at Charleston Soles on our first day in Charleston. Despite this, I had read great reviews about The Brass Pirate Scavenger hunt so we decided to check it out. It was $30 for a scavenger hunt list of over 30 different questions, a compass, an answer sheet and a pencil. We took our time and did it over 2 days working it around some of the other things we did while in Charleston. We saw many things we had not seen on our tour, or saw them in a different light. The kids had to really investigate and read the different plaques around the city, and pay attention to details in the architecture in order to answer the questions and they learned things in a way that I feel they really will retain. The writing of the scavenger hunt was cute and creative, the kids loved using the compass and reading the clues. When we finished the hunt and went back to the store, the woman there dressed them up as pirates and did a "ceremony" proclaiming them Captain and gave them their treasure. It was one of the more memorable parts of our trip and I thought worth $30.

Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

I really can't rate this store or the treasure hunt. We were in the store for only 5 minutes before high tailing it out of there, scared of by the $30 treasure hunt. The price tag is not openly advertised. I guess I should have called and asked, but I just didn't think that a kid's treasure hunt would cost that much. Beware indulgent parents.

Reviewed 2 December 2012

My husband and I were looking for something to do on a Saturday afternoon in Charleston. I had read reviews about a treasure hunt in Charleston that are done through a Pirate Specialty Store..the Brass Pirate. The store is located in a group of shops called Rainbow Shops across the way from the City Market. The store offers 2 types of treasure hunts. 1. A Historical Charleston Treasure Hunt. 2. A more pirate themed hunt along the coast. We opted for the historical hunt. The hunt takes you all over Charleston so be prepared to do some walking. We saw areas we probably would not have stopped at. Also with the historical tour you get to see all the historical places in Charleston. We enjoyed seeing Charleston this way as I got the opportunity to stop and takes photos and explore shops along the way that are not advertised on the main roads. My husband and I are in our mid-20's and had a blast. I would recommend doing the treasure hunt for any age. The cost for the tour is $30, have up to four people, and takes about 2hrs. At the end of the hunt you do get some treasure!

7  Thank dreamtravelz