“Great Tour......EXCEPT....”

The Charles Towne Pub Stroll
Ranked #90 of 244 things to do in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: Tap into over 300 years of Charleston's History! Stroll through the historic streets of Charleston while we regale you with unusual-but true-stories of the city's past. Be entertained by your period-dressed guide while learning stories of early prohibition criminals and historical oddities of which even locals seldom speak. Includes three to five unique pubs and the option to enjoy food and libations. By private request. Groups can range 4 to 90 guests per tour.
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Myself, along with seven other women in my family did this tour this past weekend and had a great time. Alan, our guide was informative, fun and a great leader of our group. I couldn't say one negative thing about this tour EXCEPT our visit into the liquor (ABC) store on the corner of Exchange St and East Bay. Alan was filling us with historical information on that area of the city and telling us the history of the liquor store and said to go inside and take a look if we would like. My husband and I have been in it a few times and think it's really neat, so I brought the ladies in for them to see for themselves. Well so much for a warm, southern welcome, the owner was extremely RUDE, told us this was not part of the tour and didn't appreciate it that we were "browsing" and he was closing, it was 6:40 pm, the sign said closes at 7pm. So much for the bottle of wine my cousin was going to buy, we turned around and walked out, but not without him slamming the door on the back of my foot. I frequent Charleston often, but I will make sure I bring what I am going to drink, this is what I recommend to anyone. Don't waste your time giving this rude business owner your business, that's right, he is the owner not an employee. My group felt so bad for Alan, we could see that he was embarrassed. I'm sure the Charles Towne Pub Stroll guides will never tell their groups to go check out the liquor store anymore......Way to go rude store owner!!!

PubStroll, General Manager at The Charles Towne Pub Stroll, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

Thank you for posting the review. We're glad that you enjoyed the tour. I'm sure that the issue at the liquor store was a misunderstanding, as the folks there are always very gracious. Please understand that in SC, liquors MUST have everyone out of the store and the door locked by 7pm per state law or face major fines and loss of license.

Again, thank you for posting the review.

Reviewed 4 June 2013

A friend and I made a visit to Charleston at the end of April. Last year we were also in Charleston and took the Pirate Tour with Eric which was phenomenal. That is how we found out about the Pub Stroll with Mike. In the course of approximately three hours we visited 4 pubs with various histories. Our group was small with only 4 people but it made the tour much more intimate which I liked. Not only was Mike extremely informative about the history of pub going in the Charleston area but he was also extremely informative about the kinds of refreshments available at each establishment. His tale of Anne Bonnie and Mary Reed put us (quiet literally) in the middle of the story. At the end of the evening Mike was gracious enough to allow us a few photo opportunities which were much appreciated. I recommend this tour to all those of appropriate age.

1  Thank Kristina T
PubStroll, General Manager at The Charles Towne Pub Stroll, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2013

Thank you for posting the review! We're so glad that you enjoyed the tour with Mike.

Thanks, also, for posting the awesome photos. I'd love copies to post on our Facebook page and website. If you're ok with that, just email me the pics at info@charlestonpiratetour.com.

Thank you for touring with us again... and for the recommendation.

Reviewed 3 June 2013

A friend of mine came to visit and I booked this tour as a different thing to do. It was very informative and funny. It was just the two of us in our party, but it was a total of six people all together. We quickly became friends with the other guests, and had a great time. The guide was nice, knowledgeable, and witty. We went to four or five pubs, and heard stories about several other businesses along the way. My favorite was about the blind tiger. We had so much fun on our tour that we all decided to have an after party at Wet Willies.

1  Thank Kathrine W
PubStroll, General Manager at The Charles Towne Pub Stroll, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2013

Thank you for posting review! We're glad that you enjoyed the tour. That "blind tiger" in very very elusive cat! LOL.

Reviewed 15 April 2013

Great experience on the tour, would definitely recommend to anyone visiting Charleston that enjoys a brew!!!

PubStroll, General Manager at The Charles Towne Pub Stroll, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2013

We're so glad that you and your friends enjoyed the tour! Thank you for posting the review.

Reviewed 13 February 2013

Great tour and tour guide! He was knowledgeable and fun. We went to 4 bars and he told stories and history the whole time. We had fun learning and walking the streets. Its a great night for date night or just a fun night with friends. Wear comfortable shoes.

1  Thank Stacey A