“Great time!”

The Charles Towne Pub Stroll
Ranked #90 of 237 things to do in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: Tap into over 300 years of Charleston's History! Stroll through the historic streets of Charleston while we regale you with unusual-but true-stories of the city's past. Be entertained by your period-dressed guide while learning stories of early prohibition criminals and historical oddities of which even locals seldom speak. Includes three to five unique pubs and the option to enjoy food and libations. By private request. Groups can range 4 to 90 guests per tour.
Goodland, Kansas, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great time!”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

My husband and I enjoyed this on our first night in Charleston. It was a great experience and the timing was perfect for us because we had just arrived so this gave us a great overview of what downtown Charleston is all about.

Loved the unique places he took us and really enjoyed our tour guide. Highly recommend this!

Visited August 2013
PubStroll, Manager at The Charles Towne Pub Stroll, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
We're so glad that you enjoyed the tour. It is a great introduction to the city! Hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Charleston.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review!

Soperton, Georgia, United States
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“History and Beverages”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Our tour guide was excellent. He talked of the old city, but also made everyone laugh. he was very relaxed and laid back. I wish I could remember his name...! We had lots of fun and the appetizer served at the bars with our drinks were an added benefit. It was nice to walk a little and then take a break and enjoy a drink and then walk more! My husband and myself both enjoyed this walking tour.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Rebekah R
Greenville, South Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Pubs, Pirates, Prohibition OH MY!”
Reviewed 17 July 2013

EXCELLENT TOUR! Our guide was great, he was dressed in colonial period attire and did the pub tours for fun on the side of his full time museum guide job. He was an absolute wealth of knowledge and regaled us with stories of pirates and blind tigers and even a priest who was sent back to Ireland for baptizing a bear cub! It was cool getting drinks at the historic watering holes of Charleston and getting to be part of a group even though my husband and I were just in town by ourselves. It made for a really fun night out and we continued to bar hop even after the tour was over at 8pm, we saw other members from the group out and about on the town, it was great! Highly recommend!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Megan K
PubStroll, General Manager at The Charles Towne Pub Stroll, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words and for taking the time to write a review! We are very fortunate to have such knowledgeable guides, who also happen to be very entertaining! All of our guides are full-time historians, and three have written books on Charleston history.

We're glad that you enjoyed the tour and that we were able to get your evening off to a great start!

Again, thank you...
Ocean Isle Beach, North Carolina
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Great Tour......EXCEPT....”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Myself, along with seven other women in my family did this tour this past weekend and had a great time. Alan, our guide was informative, fun and a great leader of our group. I couldn't say one negative thing about this tour EXCEPT our visit into the liquor (ABC) store on the corner of Exchange St and East Bay. Alan was filling us with historical information on that area of the city and telling us the history of the liquor store and said to go inside and take a look if we would like. My husband and I have been in it a few times and think it's really neat, so I brought the ladies in for them to see for themselves. Well so much for a warm, southern welcome, the owner was extremely RUDE, told us this was not part of the tour and didn't appreciate it that we were "browsing" and he was closing, it was 6:40 pm, the sign said closes at 7pm. So much for the bottle of wine my cousin was going to buy, we turned around and walked out, but not without him slamming the door on the back of my foot. I frequent Charleston often, but I will make sure I bring what I am going to drink, this is what I recommend to anyone. Don't waste your time giving this rude business owner your business, that's right, he is the owner not an employee. My group felt so bad for Alan, we could see that he was embarrassed. I'm sure the Charles Towne Pub Stroll guides will never tell their groups to go check out the liquor store anymore......Way to go rude store owner!!!

Visited June 2013
PubStroll, General Manager at The Charles Towne Pub Stroll, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Thank you for posting the review. We're glad that you enjoyed the tour. I'm sure that the issue at the liquor store was a misunderstanding, as the folks there are always very gracious. Please understand that in SC, liquors MUST have everyone out of the store and the door locked by 7pm per state law or face major fines and loss of license.

Again, thank you for posting the review.
Alameda, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delightful duo of drinking and details of dastardly deeds”
Reviewed 4 June 2013

A friend and I made a visit to Charleston at the end of April. Last year we were also in Charleston and took the Pirate Tour with Eric which was phenomenal. That is how we found out about the Pub Stroll with Mike. In the course of approximately three hours we visited 4 pubs with various histories. Our group was small with only 4 people but it made the tour much more intimate which I liked. Not only was Mike extremely informative about the history of pub going in the Charleston area but he was also extremely informative about the kinds of refreshments available at each establishment. His tale of Anne Bonnie and Mary Reed put us (quiet literally) in the middle of the story. At the end of the evening Mike was gracious enough to allow us a few photo opportunities which were much appreciated. I recommend this tour to all those of appropriate age.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Kristina T
PubStroll, General Manager at The Charles Towne Pub Stroll, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Thank you for posting the review! We're so glad that you enjoyed the tour with Mike.

Thanks, also, for posting the awesome photos. I'd love copies to post on our Facebook page and website. If you're ok with that, just email me the pics at info@charlestonpiratetour.com.

Thank you for touring with us again... and for the recommendation.