“Iron Works Al”

Small-Group Tour: Charleston Old Walled City Historical Walking Tour
Ranked #58 of 223 Tours in Charleston
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Tour Charleston's Historic Sites with Al Ray, Charleston native and licensed guide for 35 years. Enjoy the Old Walled City Walking Tour at 10AM or the Home and Garden Walking Tour at 1:30 PM Wed-Sun. The Slavery and Freedom Tour and the Charleston Ghost Tour are offered by appointment. Call for rates to tour Charleston privately with Al on foot or with a driver any day of the week at a time convenient for your schedule. Walking Tours depart in front of 151 Meeting Street at the BB&T Bank Building. We meet on the sidewalk. Open Wednesday-Sunday, Reservations Please!
River Forest
“Iron Works Al”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

My wife and I are very interested in the old wrought iron decorative fences and gates in Charleston, We asked around about a tour of this and someone recommended Al. He was wonderful, we never knew there was so much to learn about the intricate iron works around town. Al was extremely knowledgeable about all of the different kind and who produced them. They are all hand made and beautiful. Al knew everything about them and who made them, and best of all, Al is a very wonderful person and a joy to have has our tour guide. Thanks Al, we will be back for another one of your tours.

Visited October 2013
AGRinSC, Owner at Charleston Old Walled City Walking Tours, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank You for the opportunity to show you the great ironwork of Charleston. I have been doing a concerted study on the ironwork of Charleston and I was thrilled to share that knowledge with you! But remember , it wasn't All that old. Phillip Simmons produced so much ironwork here in the late twentieth century and there is an abundance of handsome machine wrought pieces as well. Remember how to tell the difference between machine and a hand wrought pieces?
Thanks for the great review and remember to send your friends!

Virgil, Canada
“A Walk with Al”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Al was a fantastic guide. My wife and I were both teachers and he had us enthralled. It is so obvious he loves what he is doing and the city he is showing. The houses and the information were fantastic. Not many presenters can so easily demonstrate how strongly they feel about their topic and build such a visual scenario when simply talking about an area. Al gets an A++++ in our books.Please do not forget youe cameras!

Visited March 2014
AGRinSC, Owner at Charleston Old Walled City Walking Tours, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Thank You for the great review! I am absolutely flattered to get such a good grade from two teachers! Although I have never taught in the classroom, I did health care outreach for a number of years. I attended numerous seminars on conveying information to groups that you will meet only once, and I employ those strategies in my presentation. My goal is that when we part ways that you will be both entertained and edified!
Glad I accomplished that!
Central NJ
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Very Knowledgeable Guide”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Did the walking tour with Al- he was very passionate and knowledgeable . Tour included 2 houses- both guides were very good. Tour is well priced- ours ran long by almost 1.5 hours which made it a bit too long and somewhat repetitive! The tour will give you a good frame of reference for enjoying Charleston.

Visited November 2013
I am so glad that you enjoyed your tour. Sorry that we ran over so long ----that can happen when I have an enthusiastic engaged group! Come back and see me and I promise to keep it shorter next time!
Charleston, SC
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful Walking Tour”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Al, our tour guide, was prolific in his knowledge of Charleston - history, architecture, plants etc.
He made it fun and interesting. Whenever we have guests in town, he will be the person we contact for a wonderful walking tour.

Dunnellon, Florida
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Ghosting Adventure”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Mike Brown was an excellent tour guide with Old Charleston Walking Tours by sharing his expertise in the super natural experiences in Charleston. My daughter and I have been on ghosts tours throughout the US but found this one to be unique in that he told of occurrences that are supported by pictures and written accounts, not just on folklore carried on through the years. The night was gray and misty as we walked the streets....................Go and be safe.