“An A+ tour with Al”

Charleston Old Walled City Scenic Sunday Walkabout
Ranked #58 of 235 Tours in Charleston
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Tour Charleston's Historic Sites with Al Ray, seventh generation Charleston native and licensed guide for 35 years. Enjoy the Old Walled City Walking Tour at 10 AM Mon -Sat and at 1:30 on Sunday. Walking Tours depart from 108 Meeting Street at the Historic Charleston Foundation Gift Shop. The Home and Garden Walking Tour, The Slavery and Freedom Tour and the Charleston Ghost Tour are offered by appointment. Call for rates to tour Charleston privately with Al on foot or by car any day of the week at a time convenient for your schedule. Tours offered Monday through Sunday, Reservations Please!
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We did the Charleston Old Walled City Walking Tour and felt our time spent with Al enhanced our experience in Charleston tremendously. He was knowledgeable and enthusiastic about sharing his passion for history, architecture, and culture and even flora of his city. Loved walking through the little parkets and cemeteries as well as the quiet streets with him pointing out interesting details and sharing stories. As it happened we were the only 2 in the group so Al tailored his presentation to our interests. Our only problem surrounded the booking. We booked the tour at 9 a.m. and paid for the tour on line but when I tried to print off the receipt it said it hadn't been confirmed yet! and the tour was to start at 10 !! we didn't even know where to meet it as that information was not on the website ( 151 Meeting street as it turns out) We put in a call and were then informed the tour wouldn't begin until 10:30 - and then when we went to the meeting place we only found people waiting for the restaurant! I would strongly advise taking the tour but would recommend booking it the day before!!

AGRinSC, Owner at Charleston Old Walled City Walking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

I am so glad that you enjoyed your time with me! We now have the kinks irined out with the on-line reservation agent and the process is quick and smooth. Come see me again and send your friends!

Reviewed 23 March 2014

My wife and I are very interested in the old wrought iron decorative fences and gates in Charleston, We asked around about a tour of this and someone recommended Al. He was wonderful, we never knew there was so much to learn about the intricate iron works around town. Al was extremely knowledgeable about all of the different kind and who produced them. They are all hand made and beautiful. Al knew everything about them and who made them, and best of all, Al is a very wonderful person and a joy to have has our tour guide. Thanks Al, we will be back for another one of your tours.

Thank You for the opportunity to show you the great ironwork of Charleston. I have been doing a concerted study on the ironwork of Charleston and I was thrilled to share that knowledge with you! But remember , it wasn't All that old. Phillip Simmons produced so much ironwork here in the late twentieth century and there is an abundance of handsome machine wrought pieces as well. Remember how to tell the difference between machine and a hand wrought pieces?
Thanks for the great review and remember to send your friends!

Reviewed 18 March 2014

Al was a fantastic guide. My wife and I were both teachers and he had us enthralled. It is so obvious he loves what he is doing and the city he is showing. The houses and the information were fantastic. Not many presenters can so easily demonstrate how strongly they feel about their topic and build such a visual scenario when simply talking about an area. Al gets an A++++ in our books.Please do not forget youe cameras!

AGRinSC, Owner at Charleston Old Walled City Walking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Thank You for the great review! I am absolutely flattered to get such a good grade from two teachers! Although I have never taught in the classroom, I did health care outreach for a number of years. I attended numerous seminars on conveying information to groups that you will meet only once, and I employ those strategies in my presentation. My goal is that when we part ways that you will be both entertained and edified!
Glad I accomplished that!

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Did the walking tour with Al- he was very passionate and knowledgeable . Tour included 2 houses- both guides were very good. Tour is well priced- ours ran long by almost 1.5 hours which made it a bit too long and somewhat repetitive! The tour will give you a good frame of reference for enjoying Charleston.

I am so glad that you enjoyed your tour. Sorry that we ran over so long ----that can happen when I have an enthusiastic engaged group! Come back and see me and I promise to keep it shorter next time!

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Al, our tour guide, was prolific in his knowledge of Charleston - history, architecture, plants etc.
He made it fun and interesting. Whenever we have guests in town, he will be the person we contact for a wonderful walking tour.