“A Masterful Tour Guide”

Small-Group Tour: Charleston Old Walled City Historical Walking Tour
Ranked #57 of 223 Tours in Charleston
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Tour Charleston's Historic Sites with Al Ray, Charleston native and licensed guide for 35 years. Enjoy the Old Walled City Walking Tour at 10AM or the Home and Garden Walking Tour at 1:30 PM Wed-Sun. The Slavery and Freedom Tour and the Charleston Ghost Tour are offered by appointment. Call for rates to tour Charleston privately with Al on foot or with a driver any day of the week at a time convenient for your schedule. Walking Tours depart in front of 151 Meeting Street at the BB&T Bank Building. We meet on the sidewalk. Open Wednesday-Sunday, Reservations Please!
Alexandria, Virginia
“A Masterful Tour Guide”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Our walking tour was an ideal combination of sights and information. Al is personable and tells stories just as you'd like to hear them. The best way to see the city is on foot.

Visited May 2014
AGRinSC, Owner at Charleston Old Walled City Walking Tours, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
It was a pleasure talking Civil War with you, and I'm so glad that I could arrange the private gardens for Becky. Thanks for choosing Old Walled City Tours and don't forget, send your friends!

Summerville, South Carolina
“The Best Guide in town!”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Al never ceases to amaze me and my guest with his vast knowledge of Charleston's history and culture. My out of town guests and I have had the pleasure of Al's tours upon three separate occasions.Each of his tours have been delightful and unique. Al goes above and beyond to bring our city's story to life. I am looking forward to introducing our next guests to Al, a true Southern Gentleman.

Visited May 2014
North Carolina
“Great way to see downtown Charleston!”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Al was informative,entertaining and very accommodating! Great tour! The knowledge of Charleston's history from this native was amazing!

Visited April 2014
AGRinSC, Owner at Charleston Old Walled City Walking Tours, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
I am so glad you enjoyed yourself. Charleston is such a walkable city, and I am a firm believer that walking is the ideal way to see things up close and personal. Thanks for coming and send your friends!
Mill Valley, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“City Walking tour”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Had a superb experience with Al Ray on this tour. He made special accommodations for The Slavery and Freedom Tour for our Book Club of 8 women on our trip from San Francisco. He was so engaging and fun and knowledgeable---wove in city/architectural history as well as the slave experience and history---we all learned so much, and had read quite a bit before we got there! Whatever you want, he will accommodate you. Fun and interesting guy with a 7 generation history in Charleston!

1 Thank ellen p
Hi Ellen,
It was a privilege to share the History of Slavery in Charleston with your group. I relish the opportunity to engage with private groups on specific topics such as Slavery or Gardens and Architecture. You ladies sure had me on my toes! Thanks for the opportunity and remember to send your friends!
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Fantastic! Would do it all over again! (Please Read)”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

My wife and I visited Charelston this past weekend (April 17-21, 2014). After a great first day, we were disappointed as it rained a ton Friday and the day and afternoon/evening was a total wash out. Not how we plainer to spend our Charelston getaway. We were determined to make the most of our trip so we decided to check out some of the walking tour opportunities.
We contacted Al last minute to request a tour for Sunday afternoon (Easter Sunday) which we knew would be a stretch. Al let us know that Sunday (understandably due to the Holiday would be difficult) but if we had time that day (Saturday) he would be more than happy to meet us ASAP to give us a private tour!!!
Within minutes of our call we were standing at the intersection of King St and Queen St with a real walking-talking Charelston fountain of knowledge! We couldn't have been more pleased. From the outset Al's unique personality, demeanor, and attention to fine Charleston detail was amazing! (That's NO JOKE). If you have the opportunity, please jump at the chance to hang out with Al and get to know Charelston from someone who's lived there and exudes a real passion for his home city and it's vast history! Al, THANK YOUfor help turning our weekend into one we'll cherish forever. We look forward to visiting again soon...hopefully in June/July this year!
Thanks a bunch from your new North Carolina friends.
- Kelly & Allison Edwards :-)

Visited April 2014
Thank You so much for the great review! I love to engage with interested, intelligent people one on one and create a "custom" experience. It was as much fun for me as it was for you! :)
Hope to see you this summer!