“Best Guided Tour Ever”

Charleston Old Walled City Scenic Sunday Walkabout
Ranked #56 of 229 Tours in Charleston
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Tour Charleston's Historic Sites with Al Ray, seventh generation Charleston native and licensed guide for 35 years. Enjoy the Old Walled City Walking Tour at 10 AM Mon -Sat and at 1:30 on Sunday. The Home and Garden Walking Tour, The Slavery and Freedom Tour and the Charleston Ghost Tour are offered by appointment. Call for rates to tour Charleston privately with Al on foot or by coach any day of the week at a time convenient for your schedule. Walking Tours depart from 108 Meeting Street at the Historic Charleston Foundation Gift Shop. Tours offered Monday through Sunday, Reservations Please!
Chicago, IL
“Best Guided Tour Ever”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My wife and I booked Al for a private tour of Charleston and asked that he accommodate both her love of gardens and architecture with my love of history. We were not disappointed. He is extremely informative and has a great sense of humor to keep it fun. He really draws you into the era and makes history come alive. I could have talked with him for hours and could not believe it when our three hours was over. VERY highly recommend Al.

Alexandria, Virginia
“A Masterful Tour Guide”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Our walking tour was an ideal combination of sights and information. Al is personable and tells stories just as you'd like to hear them. The best way to see the city is on foot.

Visited May 2014
AGRinSC, Owner at Charleston Old Walled City Walking Tours, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
It was a pleasure talking Civil War with you, and I'm so glad that I could arrange the private gardens for Becky. Thanks for choosing Old Walled City Tours and don't forget, send your friends!
Summerville, South Carolina
“The Best Guide in town!”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Al never ceases to amaze me and my guest with his vast knowledge of Charleston's history and culture. My out of town guests and I have had the pleasure of Al's tours upon three separate occasions.Each of his tours have been delightful and unique. Al goes above and beyond to bring our city's story to life. I am looking forward to introducing our next guests to Al, a true Southern Gentleman.

North Carolina
“Great way to see downtown Charleston!”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Al was informative,entertaining and very accommodating! Great tour! The knowledge of Charleston's history from this native was amazing!

Visited April 2014
AGRinSC, Owner at Charleston Old Walled City Walking Tours, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
I am so glad you enjoyed yourself. Charleston is such a walkable city, and I am a firm believer that walking is the ideal way to see things up close and personal. Thanks for coming and send your friends!
Mill Valley, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“City Walking tour”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Had a superb experience with Al Ray on this tour. He made special accommodations for The Slavery and Freedom Tour for our Book Club of 8 women on our trip from San Francisco. He was so engaging and fun and knowledgeable---wove in city/architectural history as well as the slave experience and history---we all learned so much, and had read quite a bit before we got there! Whatever you want, he will accommodate you. Fun and interesting guy with a 7 generation history in Charleston!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank ellen p
Hi Ellen,
It was a privilege to share the History of Slavery in Charleston with your group. I relish the opportunity to engage with private groups on specific topics such as Slavery or Gardens and Architecture. You ladies sure had me on my toes! Thanks for the opportunity and remember to send your friends!