“Great 2nd stay”

Comfort Suites West of the Ashley
Ranked #32 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 16 March 2012

This was our second stay at this hotel and will probably not be our last. Our daughter lives in Charleston and her apartment is too small for guests. While a 15 minute drive from her downtown apt., it is still pretty convenient. For the price difference in this area and the downtown area, I would chose the 15 minute drive anytime. The staff, both check in and breakfast attendant were very helpful and friendly. The whole hotel is very clean and kept up nicely. The rooms are large and quiet. The rooms have the type of AC unit that operates with an individual wall thermostat and had a constant fan noise that helps keep out any other noise. Even with the hotel completely booked and with a group of 76 middle school students, we did not hear a peep from our room. The breakfast bar was well stocked, even after all those students went through.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank travlingal51

Reviewed 11 March 2012

The last time i was in Charleston S.C. I was getting on a military plane headed to Germany. That was over 30 years ago. This time I was in town to spend a lovly weekend with my new bride. I made my reservations and asked that a bottle of champaine and strawberries were put in my room. I got my wish, they were waiting in our room. It made my wife very happy and that made me happy. Anything that I needed they did their best to get it for me. This being my first pleasure trip to Charleston they made it great. I was most inpressed by the room that my wife and I had, the room was seperated so we could do different in the same room and not disterb each other. The staff was the best. The thing that really got to me was my wife and I wanted to go out dancing to a place for someone our age being over 30 and the front desk sent us to a good place. I am looking forward to returning again real soon

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Broderick M
Reviewed 10 March 2012

There may be others in the USA as nice as this one but we doubt it. En route to Charleston we called properties to obtain rates and locations. Hilton and Marriott- wanted $160.00 a night does not make us feel the love---so we called Comfort. The rate was much less and so we booked the room for 3 nights. Kim at the front desk is an absolute great representative of this facility. She is efficient knowledgeable about the area and very professional. ASK FOR HER!! The rooms are extremely clean as are the grounds,lobby- pool and such Hotel was loaded with guests and yet our room was overall quiet. Location is really really ideal-on hwy. 17 and not far from all the downtown area. We drove out to Kiawah and Johns Islands in about 30 minutes with traffic. My personal favorite GREATTTTTT towels!! Just the right size microwaves and fridge. As road warriors we will **** this property and be back.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Ashegal
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Property was recommended by the towns Travel Info Office. Many chain hotel/motels in the area to choose from. Our room/suite exceeded expectations. Floor to ceiling windows on two sides. Both sheer and black-out window treatments. Nicely furnished. Beds were great. Clean, modern facility. Hot breakfast was very good. Cost was a few dollars more then we expected to pay, but well worth it.. We highly recommend the property. Our experience bodes well for the Comfort Suites chain.

Room Tip: First floor corner suite was very nice.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Terry R
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We booked well in advance and got a great deal at $80 per night. The rooms are large and well equipped. The staff keeps the place immaculate. It is a 15 minute ride to downtown, but the drive is easy. This place is a fantastic bargain.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank Homebody44
Reviewed 20 February 2012

My husband and I just stayed two nights at this hotel, Feb 17-19, and had no complaints at all with our room. It was a very basic but comfortable stay and the staff were very helpful. If you are looking for something very reasonably priced for a short stay this is your place. Two caveats however, bring your own pillows since their's are unusually short though plentiful, and do not plan on walking to anything historic. This place isn't a long drive from the historic section but it is definitely a drive. Puts a damper on cocktail hour downtown if you know what I mean.

Room Tip: Try higher floors to cut down on traffic noise.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sukiduke
ComfortSuitesWA, General Manager at Comfort Suites West of the Ashley, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and your room at the Comfort Suites. We offer five pillows on our King beds and another in the closet and most guests love them, but we realize that pillow comfort is a personal opinion. I hope you will visit us again, and if you do, we will gladly provide you as many pillows as you desire.

Reviewed 19 February 2012

The location of this hotel is a little odd, sitting on basically a little traffic island surrounded by three roads. For our stay, the parking lot was fine, but I can see how it could fill up if the hotel was full, as there clearly aren't as many spaces as there are rooms.

As for the hotel itself, great updated rooms with flat screen TVs, sofas, and good workspace. The exercise room left a bit to be desired (but don't they all?), as the treadmill didn't work and the weight machine was downright scary. We thought about swimming, but the pool was a bit cloudy for our liking.

Breakfast was about what I've come to expect from a Comfort hotel, with waffles, sausage, and eggs. However, there was no fruit or yogurt at this one. Staff was very friendly, and the hotel really isn't that far away from downtown, not more than about 15 minutes, I wouldn't think, and there is a decent mall across the highway. Took us about 20 minutes to get to the beach.

Room Tip: If traveling in the high season, show up early in the afternoon to make sure you get a parking spot.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your review and your nice comments about our rooms and our friendly staff. We are proud of our hotel quality and our employees and we are so glad you approved. I am so sorry about your experience with the fitness room. The treadmill worked but there is a safety key which must be in place for the unit to turn on. While it explains this on the treadmill, your review suggested we needed to make that clearer so we have added an additional instruction on the face of the treadmill. Thank you for helping us to communicate better with our guests.