“Great stay - good location, affordable, short drive to historic Charleston”

Comfort Suites West of the Ashley
Ranked #32 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We were very happy with this hotel. It's right off I-526, so it's convenient to get here. While it's not in downtown Charleston, it's just about a 15 minute drive to get to the historic district. The rooms are nicely decorated, clean, and have one of the most comfortable beds we've slept in. The suite designation means that the front half of the room has a sofa, easy chair and coffee table. A partition separates this area from the bed. The desk has a box with extra outlets and the lamps have additional outlets in the base, so recharging electronics is not a problem. Wi-fi was good - password is given when you check in. All the amenities are there - MW, fridge, flat screen TV, nice toiletries, even a safe in the closet. Breakfast includes scrambled eggs, plain or with bacon or sausage mixed in, waffles, cereals, pastries, yogurt,fresh fruit, juice and coffee. Copies of USA Today are available at the front desk. There are several fast food places in the area, but you'll need a car to get around.

Room Tip: Rooms facing highway 17 may be noisy, but you can turn the AC unit to fan only to mask any traffic n...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank snapngo

Reviewed 19 May 2013

We travel to Charleston for long weekends several times a year and decided this year to stay in a different area and do some exploring. We decided on this hotel because of the indoor pool so I could get in my daily laps. We were very impressed with the hotel, our room and the staff. Check-in and check-out were both quick and painless. Our room was very clean, very comfortable, and quiet. The hotel was very easy to find and there's plenty of restaurants close by. The pool area was very clean; it was a very small pool, but I was still able to get in my laps. I highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sewgoode
Reviewed 16 May 2013

We found the location to be centralized to the places we visited--very close to Charleston and to major highways. Shopping centers, gas stations and restaurants all close by. All staff was friendly, especially Charlene. Glad we stayed there.

Room Tip: Room on 5th floor with more windows
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 430Diane
ComfortSuitesWA, General Manager at Comfort Suites West of the Ashley, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2013

Thank you for your great review and your fine compliment about Charlene our front desk representative. She is a great asset to our company and am so happy she was to you also.. I will make sure your compliment gets passed on to her. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 14 May 2013

Recently, while meeting a friend for a impromptu weekend in the beautiful city of Charleston , I was delighted to stay in this hotel. I originally wanted a hotel close to the city, but because of the prices and availability of hotels, I was not able to get a room. Originally when booking the room, I thought for the location, it seemed a bit expensive also, but I booked anyway. This was the best decision I have made in quite a while. My original dates were 05/10 - 05/13 but because my traveling companion flight was cancelled because of bad weather, we were delayed in checking in by a day. Even though I called the 1 800 number to advised them of the delay and was advised there was not going to be a problem, when I arrived at the hotel to check in, there was no reservation listed for my party. I was truly disappointed because when I booked the room, I was told there was no cancellation available and the charge was already taken from my account. I was more disappointed because it was late and I didn't have a room for the night. I immediately showed the desk agent Charlene my reservation information and she said we will find you a room. That automatically made everything right. We also told her our flight dilemma. She suggested we speak with the General Manager in the morning to see if we could get a adjustment on the bill. I can truly say her customer service was truly exceptional. She went above and beyond to make sure all our needs were met . She is truly an asset to your hotel. In a day and time when the customer service is so important, she stands out and would make your hotel win in any race that you are in. I also want to compliment your general manager. She understood our problem, and helped us with the bill adjustment. My friend and I have decided to spend next Mother's Day in Charleston also. You can believe we will be staying at this hotel every time we visit the city.

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank Caston4
ComfortSuitesWA, General Manager at Comfort Suites West of the Ashley, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2013

Thank you for such a wonderful review about Charlene our front desk service representative, She is truly an asset to our company and am so happy you feel the same way. I will forward your compliment on to her. We look forward to your next visit with us when you are in Charleston.

Reviewed 14 May 2013

The accommodations were what we expected and the price was reasonable.
The location is easy to reach from the Highway or Interstate.
The parking lot is too small when the hotel is sold out.
Charlene at the front desk was outstanding. She really saved the day for us. We arrived and relaized we forgot our garmet bag at home with clothing for a wedding taking place shortly after our arrival. She quickly directed us to a shopping mall. Her suggestion saved the day for us and we arrived at the wedding properly dressed.
Also, Charlene always had a wonderful smile on her face and was friendly to everyone. This included a few guests that lacked manners at the Breakfast Bar.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank WCutler
Reviewed 4 May 2013

This is the best place to stay because of the staff, especially Charlene who works front desk and breakfast. She treats all the guests like family by her friendliness and helpfullness. She was great!!!! The hotel was very clean and had all the services one could need or want. The breakfast was wonderful.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TwoSisters_13
ComfortSuitesWA, General Manager at Comfort Suites West of the Ashley, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Thank you so much for the wonderful review on our front desk representative Charlene. She is a wonderful person and is quite an asset to our company. Thank you again for such a wonderful review.

Reviewed 20 April 2013

We recently spent two nights at this location. The front desk check-in was quick and courteous.
The breakfast served was good with scrambled eggs and waffles. The room was clean and
the beds were comfortable. There was a tour bus checking in when we did and we had to wait
quite a while for a cart for our luggage. I had asked for a quiet location on an upper floor and we
didn't hear any noise. We didn't use the pool or exercise room.

The only draw back was that the hotel only has one exit/entrance driveway. You can only turn right when leaving the hotel so are required to go around the block to go to town. However, it was very nice to have an easy exit from town when going to Savannah. The drive to downtown is
about 10 minutes.