“Great option”

Comfort Suites West of the Ashley
Ranked #32 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 12 April 2014

This was a great hotel and option for visiting Charleston. A 10-15 minute drive to downtown, as well as easy access to other areas of metropolitan Charleston. The staff was welcoming, a wonderful continental breakfast, and always clean rooms. We were very pleased with our stay.

3  Thank JVS3344

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Pros:
- Nice clean mini-suite room
- Breakfast buffet with continental items plus a hot egg entree
- Reasonable price relative to others in the area

Cons:
- Insufficient parking with difficult access, esp. when leaving and heading into downtown Charleston
- Very loud highway noise, especially on south side facing Savannah Highway
- Failed to clean our room one day
- Requires driving to reach historic Charleston downtown area

Room Tip: The hotel is surrounded on all sides by busy highways, so highway noise can be a problem. Highway no...
1  Thank ColoradoJ
ComfortSuitesWA, General Manager at Comfort Suites West of the Ashley, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

Thank you for the fine review. I am sorry about the noise and parking that you had while here at the Comfort Suites. I am glad that you did enjoy the rest of your stay. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

We enjoyed several nights here, and excellent breakfasts to begin our days. Handy access, helpful staff and a direct run downtown to visit historic sites are all great assets.

The Nissan dealer just down the road discovered a dangerous tire issue on my car that would likely have left us stranded on the highway had their service staff not been diligent. I would recommend them highly whatever your make of car. They were a real blessing to us.

2  Thank Ron M
ComfortSuitesWA, General Manager at Comfort Suites West of the Ashley, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Thank you for the kind review. We look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Beware! The coupon for $99/night listed here as a current coupon is not being accepted by the hotel! I'm glad I didn't wait till check-in to mention it (as per the coupon) because when I called to book our rooms just now at the hotel, they said they aren't accepting any coupons. We meet all of the criteria for the coupon. If a hotel is going to post a deal that is valid from March - May but limit acceptance, then that limitation should be listed or the coupon shouldn't be offered. I'm very disappointed, very sad, to have thought we had the perfect deal only to be rather shortly told that they aren't accepting coupons and then dumped into manager's voicemail. I never expected that and I'm sitting here a little stunned and thoroughly disappointed.
TripAdvisor, is there a way to correct this? Remove the coupon so others aren't lured falsely as well?

2  Thank Amy D

I am very sorry when you called that you were not honored your coupon. I will speak with our staff to make sure that this does not happen again. Please call us so that we can make the situation right. We hope that you will consider us in the future.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Overall, I was happy with this choice. I was looking for a budget friendly hotel that included breakfast, free parking and free wifi. This one hit all the spots and was within a 20 minute drive to everything we wanted to see. The Good: The hotel was clean, rooms spacious and clean and the fitness center equipment was well maintained. Yes, I worked out all three mornings. Breakfast was standard continental fare, but did the job. The Bad: Wifi was spotty at best. I seemed to lose my connection frequently. Also, the biggest annoyance for us was that the black out drapes are stationary, meaning you can't close them. Thankfully I was on a girls trip with my mom, who was working on a sewing project and had some straight pins we used to almost close the drapes at night. My advise, pack some large safety pins if you like a dark room when you sleep. Also, I like background noise and the desk didn't have any small fans we could borrow. The hotel is located on a "island" on a busy road so you do need to be careful about finding it. Overall, I would stay there again!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor it was nice to be on the top floor.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Sherry S
ComfortSuitesWA, General Manager at Comfort Suites West of the Ashley, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Thank you for the wonderful review. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Great hotel for a family! Clean rooms, great breakfast and friendly staff. No problem driving to downtown, we parked the car for free at Aquarium and took the free trolley. Super easy! A little hard to get in the parking lot, need to go around the block... But nice hotel!

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Phliz
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I stayed here with my wife and 1 and a half year old son for a week-long stay near Charleston. The hotel room were spacious, comfortable, and very clean, with all the modern amenities. A full breakfast was served each morning, hot and cold, though it would have been nice to have more than just eggs mixed with sausage or bacon - and real eggs at that. The only other minor complaint is the staff, while very friendly at times and most of the time, occasionally seemed to lapse into a state where they seemed annoyed by our presence. This wasn't often - it happened when I first checked in, and a couple time when we were getting a high chair for my son - but enough that I noticed. All in all though, this is definitely a great place to stay if you are looking for an inexpensive, high-value place to stay only 10 minutes from downtown Charleston.

Room Tip: Pick a room on the 3rd floor or higher - it will mute the noise from the nearby expressways.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family