“Would stay again.”

Ranked #33 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Greenville, North Carolina
“Would stay again.”
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Very nice hotel.I have no complaints at all.My wife did keep the hotel room very COLD,but that's not the hotels problem.The location is good,close to down town.The staff was very friendly and helpfull,sometimes that's hard to find.GREAT STAY!!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eric T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
port st lucie, fl
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Great location on Hyw 17 room was great , beds were very comfortable and the free morning breakfast was very good for this type of venue. The one negative was the early A.M.traffic noise as our room faced the hyway, but we were up shortly after 7:00 so it was not a drawback for us. Staff was very friendly.

2 Thank gator11
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed in April 2014 and overall the hotel is a good value hotel. Downtown hotels are ridiculous prices and parking is challenging so this is good choice.

I like the cleanliness, the breakfast was good and the rooms were a comfortable size. Value for your dollar is excellent.

The location is good. Close to shopping (Citadel Mall, Best Buy etc), plantation area and short drive to downtown.

Minor issues keep this from being a 5, a) the location was shoe horned into a small triangle of land between two major roads. This makes it a bit noisy at night and very difficult to find. Garmin GPS sends you to the Hampton as it can't find the entrance. And going downtown you have to do a loop around the property. b) elevators are brutal slow and c) the pool is only there to get them a check box in a search. It is so small and there is no hot tub.

Good value.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank T2Y
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Because of the reviews on Trip Advisor as well as the rates, we decided to stay at this hotel. We generally are pretty easy to please when we travel but since we were staying here for 4 nights we wanted to make sure we had good rest. There was only one clerk at check-in and she was BUSY so there was a long wait with 3 people ahead of us. On our turn, she was friendly, and I asked if possible for a room furthest from the highway as I was concerned with traffic noise. She indicated she only had one that faced the parking lot so we took it. Immediately upon entering the room you could hear a VERY LOUD annoying noise coming from the AC unit. We turned around and went back downstairs and asked for another room as this would not allow us a quiet night sleep. She checked and told us all she had left was two floors down so we took it. We got into our room and although it didn't look as nice as the first one it was good but the AC was not on in this room so kinda warm. i immediately went over to turn it on and OH MY~~~There was black mildew/mold all over the AC vents. I am allergic to mildew/mold and such so before turning it on and blowing that into the air, I immediately got the first thing I could find, a nice white washcloth. I proceeded to clean it and the cloth was filthy (photo posted). If I hadn't just been down and changed rooms, I would have asked to change rooms again, although she made it out that they didn't have many left. I quickly took the washcloth down to the clerk, who was still busy, and waited for her to acknowledge me. Finally, I brought to her attention the problem and handed her the folded up cloth. At first she tried to tell me it was probably dust and I explained I knew the difference. I further told her I would rather have had cleaning solution to clean it with but hoped this would do. She did not offer to have anyone go up and clean it further but said she would look at cloth in back later and that housekeeping is suppose to clean everything and then apologized. She didn't offer to find me another room again either. I further told her I hoped that the mildew wasn't in the unit. I felt that because the unit was off and the room warm that this might have caused the dampness to create mildew. Luckily, once we settled in there were no others issues. But we were never contacted by staff regarding this or offered any type of compensation for the inconvenience. The rest of the stay was pleasant. The hotel was otherwise clean and well kept. In the daylight you can see that this hotel is situated on a small triangular lot and is bordered on all sides by busy traffic. We did not have any disturbance though from the noise. Maybe on lower floors noise more from street and higher floors from expressway. The breakfast area was packed every morning but they had the conference room across the way open for extra seating. Kinda congested small area to serve yourself but lots of choices. Food standard but plentiful (ie. pastries, juice, coffee, milk, cereals, scrambled eggs etc.) There was only one breakfast staff and she was busy keeping up with replenishing items, but courteous. So to sum it up our four day stay was fine and worth the price we paid. This location is about 15 min. easy drive to downtown. But coming back it is a little tricky finding the right road and getting to it:) Convenient location though to Folly Beach, Charleston and the plantations and such. Lots of eating places in vicinity.

Room Tip: All rooms pretty much have street/highway view.
1 Thank LAH28
ComfortSuitesWA, General Manager at Comfort Suites West of the Ashley, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Thank you for letting me know about your wait at the desk and your rooms A/C unit. I am sorry that you had these problems occur. I hope that you will forgive us and come back and see us again.
Byron Center, Michigan
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Stayed here two nights and its location is great. Situated at the corner of I-526 and route 17, it's a mere 15-minute drive to downtown Charleston and all its splendor. Sure, it might have been nice to stay downtown but it's three times the price, and all-day parking is just $16 plus the trolleys run for free during the day. Room was spacious and the breakfast was great. Our check-in person Ebony was superb, however I question the strategy of management as she was working by herself on a night the hotel was sold out. She probably had to field ten phone calls during our 5-minute process, handled professionally and with courtesy, but would've been unnecessary had another body been on board.

The bumps? Our room didn't get cleaned after the first night (we were gone by 10 a.m. and do-no-disturb was not hung on the door). Mentioned this to the desk but they seemed more intent on grilling me on how we might have been at fault rather than accepting responsibility. The hotel also advertised a free daily newspaper, which was true. But they were all gone by 6:30 a.m., snapped up by a blue-hair convention tour bus. Not the hotel's fault per se yet it would seem more logical to mete them out just a few at a time. Also, the misses made the mistake of leaving her coat in the closet. She called the next day, was told to call the following day to talk to housekeeping. They found the coat, said they would ship it for $18. FedEx, instead, nicked us $27. Not having this occur before, maybe that is the standard. However, #1 son (a former JW Marriott employee) stated that, at their hotel, if the same situation were to occur it would be handled at no charge. Guess that's part of what separates a 5-star from a 3-star.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank pepp7091
I am very sorry that we did not have any new papers when you were checking out and that they did not clean your room while you were out. I appreciate your brining this to my attention so that we can handle it accordingly. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Just left from a 4 day stay. .... highly recommend this hotel. Clean rooms. . Friendly staff. ....good breakfast. .. short drive to historic Charleston with a great price. Food service ladies Sharon and Cynthia were friendly and efficient.....front desk clerk Charlene was so sweet and helpful. THANKS FOR A GREAT STAY!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank LorraineCasto
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this property. Charlene was always pleasant and had a smile on her face. Our room was spacious, comfy and clean. The breakfast was included and offered a good selection of items. Also, if the breakfast area was crowded, they would open up a nearby conference room so all the guests could sit comfortably. That shows concern for their guests' comfort. The counter around the sink offered ample room to place all of your toiletries. The location was very good with an easy 10 drive to the historic area of Charleston. It was a little confusing trying to find your way into the parking lot of the hotel, but that is a minor issue. We will definitely stay here again when we return to Charleston.

2 Thank ldean17