“Worth finding”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Boy! This place is not easy to find, don't worry, it really is down the street that looks like its derelict. The ambience is superb, despite being close to the crosstown overpass. The courtyard is shady, and the art and sculptures are a delight.
The menu is mainly tacos (it wouldn't be Taco Boy otherwise), but the food is fine and affordable. They have a good range of local and Mexican beers.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

This is not a place you want to get food to go. It's great if you are eating in, especially the patio dining when the weather is good. I made the mistake of recommending it to my co-workers when we were trying to find a place to get take out for the office. Bad idea! When you eat in you get the chips and great salsa while you wait, and that really adds to the value. They really shouldn't offer take out service (lunch time). We called and placed a moderately large order with a variety of tacos, they said it would be about 20 minutes. We arrived to pick up in approximately that time, and sat at the bar waiting for another 30 minutes. The bartender was not friendly during that wait. He didn't ask if we wanted a drink while we waited. He didn't apologize for the long wait, and frankly seemed annoyed to have to deal with the order. When we got the food back to the office it was a real disappointment. No chips, no salsa, just tacos, small ones, several of which were not what we had ordered. One person got nothing to eat because her tacos weren't made correctly. The value wasn't there. Needless to say I felt bad for recommending the place. I have always liked this place for happy hour or with a group to dine in. I will continue to go for that sort of dining but never again for the take out option. Live and learn.

3  Thank DM67Chas
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I would give Taco Boy a higher rating because the food is so good. In fact I enjoyed the 1st time so much I tried it again 3 days later. However Taco Boy (downtown Charleston) has problems with flies both inside and outside dining.

So the good at Taco Boy, is clearly the food. Over the course of 2 meals we tried 6 different tacos. All of them were good to outstanding with the Kemchi beef tacos making the outstanding category. Service was also fast and attentive.

The bad at Taco Boy (downtown Charleston) are the flies. The 1st time we ate outside and flies were really bothersome, flying around and on our food. We tried eating inside the next time and they were just as bad. I guess this is because there is a huge opening between the indoor and outdoor seating at the bar. Maybe it is me, but It really takes away from my experience when I have flies lading on my food and in my glass of tea.

If flies don't bother you I recommend highly. If they do, then be forewarned

3  Thank Mountaineer_Steve
Reviewed 8 August 2013 via mobile

Pulling up to the place you think you might have made a wrong turn. When you head in you see the gem of the place. The food was out of this world. Great mixed drinks also. They are pricey for a taco place but it is worth the price. So menu choices to make. This is on my list of places to stop when in Charleston again.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

2 couples with 4 kids visited in late July. This place is off the beaten path for sure and the area around it is a little sketchy. The restaurant itself, though, has a great vibe to it, with crazy chandeliers hanging from ceiling, cool colored glass on the windows and a nice patio, albeit looking at the road. Staff was friendly and very responsive. We had several types of tacos, with our favorites being the shrimp, mahi mahi and Kim-chi beef. The brisket taco was lacking flavor, but the Kim-chi was our favorite taco by far. The ala cart coleslaw was nothing special but the Mexican Street Corn was amazing! It's corn on the cob, rolled in bbq sauce and thenm topped with Parmesan cheese. It was excellente!!!

The kids menu has all Mexican foods and would have been nice to at least have some chicken fingers or even pizza for the picky eaters in the group. We tried the fried chicken taco, but it wasn't good. Its not really fried but tempura and none of us liked it. The 2 things this place is missing though is 1) none of the tacos come with sides. It would have been nice to have a combo selection or something of the like. 2) Chips and salsa are not included with meals. That is unheard of at a Mexican Restaurant! Then when we did order salsa, it came in a tiny bowl that was gone in a flash.

All in all, it was a cool place, but we would take a more down home, local Mexican place in the future.

4  Thank DrBiagio1784