“Wonderful stay”

The Restoration
Ranked #9 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 June 2013

I could go on and on but suffice it to say ROK was pure perfection. Our room was amazing and so spacious, and the additional amenities were amazing. The breakfast basket, wine and cheese and beer happy hour, and cookies and milk and port at bedtime just added to the experience. All the staff were helpful, friendly and went above and beyond. We were able to easily walk everywhere. I am trying to figure out how I can get some time off again to go back!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 June 2013 via mobile

Loved this hotel. Beautifully appointed and spacious suites. Fully equipped handsome kitchen, with a living room area and a long hall leading to a luxurious bedroom and bathroom. Well worth the price. Pleasant and quiet rooftop terrace and low-key gracious service with no attitude. We also stayed at Market Pavillion and Restoration on King far surpassed Market Pavillion in every category -- location, service, room quality and value.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank rhawnjen
Reviewed 18 June 2013

This is one of the best hotel experiences I have ever had and I have stayed at the best. The staff is wonderful, the amenities are excellent and the hotel is more of a warehouse type condo in the heart of the shopping district of Charleston. The staff went out of their way with help and recommendations. The concierge was the best I have ever come across. There are only 16 suites; each night there was wine and cheese, then later there was cookies and milk or a glass of port. Breakfast was delivered in baskets to our door. The hotel is walking distance to great restaurants and all the great sights there are to see.

Room Tip: All the rooms are like condos, there are one and two bedrooms and some with patios and some without.
1  Thank Susan W
Reviewed 16 June 2013

If there is a better stay in Charleston I may have to try it. I've seen people mention the "value" here and that word means what you get compared to what you pay for usually... and I guess on that basis this is a value. However, it is a value that you definitely pay for. There were cheaper places to stay... but this place is over the top great. From the relaxed staff and easy check-in to the helpful in a friendly (not in a "it's our job") way of everyone you come into contact with. Top that off with rooms that you'd be proud to call your home (if you were ok with a condo).

The rooms are well appointed... and not well appointed for a hotel (or even a boutique hotel) but well appointed for a house. These were designed to be condos and it shows. Washer/Dryer... ???... we didn't use them. Stove? looked nice - but didn't use. Giant fridge? Water was cold, so met the mark for our needs. Dual vanities. Dual shower heads. Nice living room. Great high ceilings. Decor fitting of the area and the style (large stretched-canvas photos). A rooftop deck. Plus everything you'd expect from a boutique hotel (great toiletries, a robe to traipse around in, wine hour, etc).

If I ever win the lottery, this will be my condo in Charleston. I'll just rent the place by the year. Probably one with a balcony, though.

If you can get a deal, stay here. If you can't get a deal, stay here. Stay as long as you can.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

If you are going to Charleston, The Restoration on King is an exceptional place to stay, with large and comfortable condo-style suites including full kitchen facilities. Centrally located, it is within walking distance of the waterfront and Charleston's many historical venues. The concierge staff was extremely helpful with restaurant recommendations and reservations and with other information. We spent five nights at ROK. The modern and spacious accommodations, combined with the warm and welcoming staff, made it a delightful experience. We have traveled extensively throughout the U.S., Europe and the South Pacific, and this hotel is a gem. Our thanks to the manager, Howard, concierges Giovanna and Sally, and the other support staff.

Reviewed 14 June 2013

I booked the Restoration on King based on it's rave Trip Advisor reviews, as I was looking for a place to stay in the heart of Charleston, but had that Charleston character to it. I really wanted to rent a condo, but many were booked, and few met our trip demands. But then I found the Restoration on King, and man did this place not disappoint!
First the hotel is in the heart of the fashion district of Charleston, so it's within walking distance to lots of great shops, the market, the residential district, lots of great places to eat, as well as being close to many of the great parks in Charleston. The location simply can not be beat.
I'm a very normal guy, who doesn't care much for overly luxurious or gaudy accommodations, and while the Restoration may appear fancy and of the finer things (which it is), it certainly doesn't make you feel out of place in the least. The staff was probably one of the best parts of our stay. From the bellhops to the General Manager, they were all extremely friendly and helpful. They often gave us advice on where to eat, and were legitimately concerned that our stay was going great.
In general, I'm not a fan of Valet parking, but being in the heart of Charleston, you have no other option...there's simply no place to park. While the valet service does cost $18 per day, you're not going to find any better options in Charleston, and frankly all of the inclusions of the Restoration completely outweigh the charge for parking.
Some of the amenities included a free continental breakfast each morning, where you hang a door tag on your room door at night and indicate which items you'd like for breakfast. They include criossants, scones, bagels, cereal, danishes, fruit and yogurt. In the morning, Pat brought us a basket every morning with a lovely breakfast...perfect way to start the day in Charleston.
The hotel also offered towels upon arriving out of the afternoon heat, a cheese/wine/beer service from 5-6 in the lobby, as well as a cookie/port wine service from 8-9. Those little touches definitely went a long way.
The hotel has plenty of little things available for your use like bicycles, apple tv's, highchairs, beach chairs, beach towels, etc... all of which were free of charge.
The room we stayed in was a 1 bedroom room, that was very spacious and included a full kitchen in which they had stocked with some water, and soft drinks. The room was more than we had expected and they include a turndown service in the evening.
The hotel also has a large roof patio where you can enjoy some great views of Charleston.
I really can't praise this hotel enough. Our entire experience was superb and I will certainly return in the future. If I had to be nit picky, our bed was a tad firm for our taste, and the shower was a bit confusing how to operate at first, but those 2 things are literally the only things I can even dream to want to change.
Overall I give the Restoration on King full marks, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for a great place to stay in Charleston.

Room Tip: 201 is the biggest room (2 bedrooms with a private balcony), we stayed in 202 which was a great room...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank jrobba
Reviewed 10 June 2013

This hotel had the most amazing, friendly, and helpful staff. I stayed the night before my wedding so the bridal party would have a place big enough to get ready in. The room was plenty big, and it was a beautiful spot for pictures. The staff was amazingly accommodating..extension cords, scissors, champagne glasses and other items were brought up as needed and they seemed happy to do it. We also had catering so the full kitchen was perfect for coffee, mimosas and snacks.
They even helped my sister with decorating the room the night of the wedding. They lit candles and put out champagne for the groom and I.
They also have complimentary breakfast that is delivered in a picnic basket each morning. The wine and cheese hours were also an added bonus. The price of the room is comparable to suites in other hotels downtown, but you get way more for your money at this hotel. I had an amazing stay and would recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2013