“Pleasantly surprised”

The Restoration
Ranked #9 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This was a last minute trip and we knew little about the property, but it exceeded our expectations, and I am very picky about hotels having been lucky enough to stay in 5 star hotels most of my life.

Do not be fooled by the low key/small lobby... We had a lovely, large one bedroom suite on the third floor, overlooking King Street. The large living room/dining/kitchen area was on the first floor, and then up two steps into the loft for the bedroom, walk in closet, washer/dryer and bathroom (large walk in shower, no tub). Everything was new, very clean, and thoughtfully prepared-- from the diet cokes/waters in the fridge to the make-up wipes in the toiletry set.

Everyone who works at the hotel was very nice and helpful in arranging car service to the beach and making recommendations on restaurants.

We didn't try room service, so I can't speak to that. But the location was great for walking to nearby restaurants such as Fig and Hall's Chophouse. You can easily walk anywhere in Charleston from the hotel.

I would definitely stay there again and recommend it to friends... the only caveat is if you are looking for a full service hotel with a pool and spa, you might look elsewhere until they expand. This felt more like a home away from home, which is what we were looking for on our quick weekend of relaxation in Charleston.

Room Tip: 306 was a great room overlooking King Street. No balcony, but we would never use it and it was very...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 July 2013

The room itself was really nice, breakfast was ok,, quiet third floor room. Tiles in shower needed to have the grout cleaned, this is a pet peeve when I'm at a place that isn't mine. The morning we were leaving, I was up eating the breakfast they brought us promptly at 8 and my bf was still asleep. The DO NOT DISTURB sign was clearly on the door so he could sleep in. At 8:30 there was a knock at the door. I answered it and there was no one there, but the room cleaning cart was in front of the maintenance room next door. I went back to eating. At 9 there was another knock on the door. I answered it to the maid telling me "they told me ya'll aren't in there, that you're gone. I told them you had the sign on the door. They messed up, I am so sorry, they should do better than that." I accepted her apology and went back in. Then, 5mins later, we got a phone call to the room! By this point my bf was understandably awake and irritated. He answered the phone and the guy at the front desk stammered for a sec before saying he was just calling to see if we're there and that he was immediately notifying the general manager about it. When we went to checkout at noon, my bf asked what the deal was that morn. The guy quietly apologized and tried to brush it off. Then another guy that was behind the computer looked up and asked us what happened. After we told him, he said he was the general manager and that that was the first he had heard about it. He apologized and offered to discount our stay. Then he saw we had booked with Expedia and was not able to. So he confirmed our name and address and promised to mail a voucher that we should receive by the end of the week. We left feeling as if he had made up for the situation. Now though, it's 2 1/2 weeks later and we haven't heard a word. Now we'll never go back and I won't recommend them to any of my clients.

Room Tip: If you do decide to stay here, only do so if you're on the third floor. We were in 306 and liked...
3  Thank ChrisCckham
Reviewed 26 June 2013

I could go on and on but suffice it to say ROK was pure perfection. Our room was amazing and so spacious, and the additional amenities were amazing. The breakfast basket, wine and cheese and beer happy hour, and cookies and milk and port at bedtime just added to the experience. All the staff were helpful, friendly and went above and beyond. We were able to easily walk everywhere. I am trying to figure out how I can get some time off again to go back!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2013 via mobile

Loved this hotel. Beautifully appointed and spacious suites. Fully equipped handsome kitchen, with a living room area and a long hall leading to a luxurious bedroom and bathroom. Well worth the price. Pleasant and quiet rooftop terrace and low-key gracious service with no attitude. We also stayed at Market Pavillion and Restoration on King far surpassed Market Pavillion in every category -- location, service, room quality and value.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank rhawnjen
Reviewed 18 June 2013

This is one of the best hotel experiences I have ever had and I have stayed at the best. The staff is wonderful, the amenities are excellent and the hotel is more of a warehouse type condo in the heart of the shopping district of Charleston. The staff went out of their way with help and recommendations. The concierge was the best I have ever come across. There are only 16 suites; each night there was wine and cheese, then later there was cookies and milk or a glass of port. Breakfast was delivered in baskets to our door. The hotel is walking distance to great restaurants and all the great sights there are to see.

Room Tip: All the rooms are like condos, there are one and two bedrooms and some with patios and some without.
1  Thank Susan W
Reviewed 16 June 2013

If there is a better stay in Charleston I may have to try it. I've seen people mention the "value" here and that word means what you get compared to what you pay for usually... and I guess on that basis this is a value. However, it is a value that you definitely pay for. There were cheaper places to stay... but this place is over the top great. From the relaxed staff and easy check-in to the helpful in a friendly (not in a "it's our job") way of everyone you come into contact with. Top that off with rooms that you'd be proud to call your home (if you were ok with a condo).

The rooms are well appointed... and not well appointed for a hotel (or even a boutique hotel) but well appointed for a house. These were designed to be condos and it shows. Washer/Dryer... ???... we didn't use them. Stove? looked nice - but didn't use. Giant fridge? Water was cold, so met the mark for our needs. Dual vanities. Dual shower heads. Nice living room. Great high ceilings. Decor fitting of the area and the style (large stretched-canvas photos). A rooftop deck. Plus everything you'd expect from a boutique hotel (great toiletries, a robe to traipse around in, wine hour, etc).

If I ever win the lottery, this will be my condo in Charleston. I'll just rent the place by the year. Probably one with a balcony, though.

If you can get a deal, stay here. If you can't get a deal, stay here. Stay as long as you can.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

If you are going to Charleston, The Restoration on King is an exceptional place to stay, with large and comfortable condo-style suites including full kitchen facilities. Centrally located, it is within walking distance of the waterfront and Charleston's many historical venues. The concierge staff was extremely helpful with restaurant recommendations and reservations and with other information. We spent five nights at ROK. The modern and spacious accommodations, combined with the warm and welcoming staff, made it a delightful experience. We have traveled extensively throughout the U.S., Europe and the South Pacific, and this hotel is a gem. Our thanks to the manager, Howard, concierges Giovanna and Sally, and the other support staff.