“Updated, historic, perfect location”
Review of The Restoration

The Restoration
Ranked #7 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Florence, South Carolina
“Updated, historic, perfect location”
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the two bedroom unit (when we traveled with our children). This property is beautiful and well appointed. The two bedroom with balcony was plenty of room for my husband and I with our four children (ages 5-12). Much less expensive and much more comfortable than two hotel rooms. The hotel is walking distance to shops and restaurants. We enjoyed our stay so much we returned in January and stayed in the one bedroom without the children. Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Just spent two nights this week in Charleston with some friends and had the good fortune to choose this hotel. It was perfect, just what we were looking for! We are old friends and rarely get to spend time together and so having some room to hang out and enjoy some girl time was great. Set up like an upscale condo, it was fully furnished and supplied with everything we needed. Breakfast (included) was delivered each morning in a smart picnic basket, perfect for our no-rush schedule. Bed was comfy, temperature was perfect. (Pillows were a tad high for my taste,however)
The location is excellent! Pretty much right on the corner of Wentworth and King, smack dab in the centre of town. Easy walking access to shops, restaurants and the beautiful residential area of "below Broad" street.
Staff were all friendly and accommodating especially Nathaniel our Valet Guy who retrieved our car for us promptly and helped with our bags and all sorts!
Can't say enough good things about our stay here. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Our room faced King Street and it was not noisy at all! The building across the street was (seemed...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank FoodiesAnonymous
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 10 April 2014

A small renovated condo project, this hidden away hotel has hometown amenities with a tech flavor. There is a limited number of "suites" so plan ahead if you are visiting Charleston and appreciate a modern kitchen along with a large roomy landing pad. A cozy registration area with ipads and daily wine and cheese make for a jovial atmosphere. We particularly liked the complementary breakfast in a basket. The location is right in the shopping district but the hotel is very quiet at night. This hotel is expensive but in better shape than some higher priced competitors.

Room Tip: Review the options and plan way ahead.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I've been a regular guest at the Restoration on King since it first converted to a boutique hotel. Prior to ROK, I would consistently book a Club suite at Charleston Place across the street for 3+ times the cost and much less room. Business brings me to Charleston at least 3-5 days a month and I've weighed the option of just buying a home downtown. I would have purchased a home, but the accommodations and staff at ROK have taken such great care of me over the years. My only complaint is that I’ve recommended the hotel to friends and colleagues so much that I have to book my travel schedule a year in advance.

I book the same two bedroom unit each time and truly feel like it is my own condo where I am able to entertain, hold meetings, and, when time permits, just relax. Howard, Giovanna, Nathan, Nicole, and the staff there could not be more professional and service-oriented. It is always nice to see a friendly face that knows on my preferences me upon entering the lobby. ROK is simply the best of traditional Charleston hospitality with all the luxuries and conveniences of a modern condo in the heart of historic downtown.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great and have a unique sense of personality. No two are exactly alike.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank j-redfearn-m
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I hesitate to pigeonhole this lovely little boutique hotel (filled with spacious condominiums?!) with my review because my experience included infant children. And so, dear reader I will say at the offset: I am confident that the accommodations and service are ideal for any kind of traveler with discerning taste.

The fact that ROK was such a great experience for myself (lawyer attending professional conference), my husband (foodie/physician/daytime nanny while wife attends conference), and my children (18 month old identical twins with penchant for flirting with pretty receptionists and climbing bannisters) should not deter anyone who wasn’t expecting Sesame Street on her luxury Charleston excursion. Because ROK is indeed luxury and I can’t think of anything that should deter the reader.

ROK is beautifully and comfortably furnished, meticulously clean, thoughtfully appointed and, in sum, just a truly awesome place to stay. The completely stocked kitchen and washer/dryer/dishwasher are so convenient. The location is ideal— 10 minute walk from everything cool especially that SWEET little salon/beauty supply (Blue Mercury?), great shopping, most conference hotels and the best restaurants. Daily breakfast was delicious and the staff was consistently friendly, helpful and kind.

In sum, I highly recommend. It was not only perfect for our needs, but a memorable and enjoyable stay in every way.

Room Tip: Ashley is incredibly helpful. Don't miss the wine/cheese receptions. The lofted suite with the p...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Illinois
Reviewed 1 April 2014

My husband, 3 kids, mother and stepdad just got back from a stay at Restoration on King and would love to stay here again! First off, the location can't be beat. You are close to great shopping on King and pretty much everything on the main drag is a quick walk. My family and I stayed in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath suite on the 3rd floor and my parents stayed in a 1 bedroom suite. We could not have been more comfortable. The beds were amazingly comfortable as were the pillows. These condo type suites have an incredible amount of living space especially for the downtown location. The rooms are gorgeous with exposed brick walls. I really loved the local photography on all the walls. Even the light fixtures are lovely and the furniture was pretty and comfortable. We got a suite with a deck and is was great to sit outside and enjoy the sunshine. The picnic basket breakfast in the morning is a really nice touch! Although the accommodations are lovely, the best thing about ROK is the staff. I believe the general manager has a real knack for hiring staff who are long on personality and go the extra mile. Every staff member we encountered was so helpful and courteous. The general manager himself was truly attentive and interested in hearing comments from the guests. ROK has some exciting plans for expansion in the next year and I look forward to staying here again whenever I'm back in Charleston.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 21 March 2014

My husband, 7 and 9 year old daughters and I stayed here for four nights last week. While the weather in Charleston wasn't the best, the hotel was amazing. We had a spacious one bedroom which had more than enough room for two rollaways for the girls. The location can't be beat. You're pretty much a 10-20 min. walk from anything you would want to do--the market, great restaurants and bakeries and shopping. The breakfast baskets were charming and the full kitchen was very convenient for storing snacks for the kids. That being said, we also appreciated the complimentary nightly wine and cheese reception and milk and cookies. The staff was super friendly and had lots of suggestions for dining and other activities. (A suggestion on a rainy day to visit the Childrens Museum saved us a lot of anguish.) The iPads and Apple tvs available for borrowing were also a nice touch.

Room Tip: We were in room 202 which overlooks Wentworth St. Despite the old single-paned windows, we heard ver...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family