“Can't beat this property”
Review of The Restoration

The Restoration
Ranked #8 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Morgantown, West Virginia
“Can't beat this property”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

It's expensive but worth it. You receive much more space for your money than you would in one of the more traditional nearby hotels. Howard, the property manager, is a phenomenally nice man who will bend over backward to make your time memorable. One evening, we called Peninsula Grill to make a reservation but were told no tables would be available. When we mentioned this to Howard, he picked up the phone and - voila - we had our table for the evening. That's the type of service you can't buy.

The location is also unbeatable - right on King, the main shopping boulevard running through the middle of Charleston. The daily made-to-order breakfast basket is a wonderful perk (albeit somewhat common among the upscale hotels in Charleston), as is the evening wine reception and rooftop sitting area. Our unit had 15-20 foot ceilings and beautiful amenities. The only thing to be aware of upon arrival is the lack of a valet bay for arriving cars - if you can't snag one of the two parking spots in front of the lobby, you'll either have to keep driving around the block or simply double park your car in the street while you run inside and find a conceirge from ROK to take your car to their dedicated lot. I had to do this once, and it didn't please the drivers behind me who had to drive into the incoming lane to get around my car.

All in all, a truly wonderful stay, attributable in equal parts to the property and to Howard. We'll definitely be returning.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This hotel is absolutely fabulous. From Mr. Letts to his wonderful staff, everyone made sure we were taken care of from the moment of arrival. The rooms are wonderful. Be aware that this hotel is right off busy King Street so yes there is noise. Each bedroom has a white noise machine though to help drown out the street noise. The only complaint I have is that the shower in my room had mold at the bottom and that after returning to my room in the afternoon there was a lot of dust and debris on the floor that I had not noticed before (I am a clean freak so I notice these things). Not sure if one of the vacuum cleaners malfunctioned or what happened.
All in all, it's a great experience to stay at this hotel. Everything is within walking distance.

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floor are likely quietest, second floor rooms are sometimes above retail stores.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank JLB_ATL
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 April 2014

wonderful place to stay. Rooms are really small apartments with one and two bedroom units. There is a full kitchen and our room had a private porch. Service was very friendly and there were very nice bicycles available to explore the town. Convenient location to museums, restaurants and shopping. Will go back soon.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank GoDuke_78
Florence, South Carolina
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the two bedroom unit (when we traveled with our children). This property is beautiful and well appointed. The two bedroom with balcony was plenty of room for my husband and I with our four children (ages 5-12). Much less expensive and much more comfortable than two hotel rooms. The hotel is walking distance to shops and restaurants. We enjoyed our stay so much we returned in January and stayed in the one bedroom without the children. Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Just spent two nights this week in Charleston with some friends and had the good fortune to choose this hotel. It was perfect, just what we were looking for! We are old friends and rarely get to spend time together and so having some room to hang out and enjoy some girl time was great. Set up like an upscale condo, it was fully furnished and supplied with everything we needed. Breakfast (included) was delivered each morning in a smart picnic basket, perfect for our no-rush schedule. Bed was comfy, temperature was perfect. (Pillows were a tad high for my taste,however)
The location is excellent! Pretty much right on the corner of Wentworth and King, smack dab in the centre of town. Easy walking access to shops, restaurants and the beautiful residential area of "below Broad" street.
Staff were all friendly and accommodating especially Nathaniel our Valet Guy who retrieved our car for us promptly and helped with our bags and all sorts!
Can't say enough good things about our stay here. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Our room faced King Street and it was not noisy at all! The building across the street was (seemed...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank FoodiesAnonymous
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 10 April 2014

A small renovated condo project, this hidden away hotel has hometown amenities with a tech flavor. There is a limited number of "suites" so plan ahead if you are visiting Charleston and appreciate a modern kitchen along with a large roomy landing pad. A cozy registration area with ipads and daily wine and cheese make for a jovial atmosphere. We particularly liked the complementary breakfast in a basket. The location is right in the shopping district but the hotel is very quiet at night. This hotel is expensive but in better shape than some higher priced competitors.

Room Tip: Review the options and plan way ahead.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I've been a regular guest at the Restoration on King since it first converted to a boutique hotel. Prior to ROK, I would consistently book a Club suite at Charleston Place across the street for 3+ times the cost and much less room. Business brings me to Charleston at least 3-5 days a month and I've weighed the option of just buying a home downtown. I would have purchased a home, but the accommodations and staff at ROK have taken such great care of me over the years. My only complaint is that I’ve recommended the hotel to friends and colleagues so much that I have to book my travel schedule a year in advance.

I book the same two bedroom unit each time and truly feel like it is my own condo where I am able to entertain, hold meetings, and, when time permits, just relax. Howard, Giovanna, Nathan, Nicole, and the staff there could not be more professional and service-oriented. It is always nice to see a friendly face that knows on my preferences me upon entering the lobby. ROK is simply the best of traditional Charleston hospitality with all the luxuries and conveniences of a modern condo in the heart of historic downtown.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great and have a unique sense of personality. No two are exactly alike.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business