“Historical Juke Box!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Charleston Sole Walking Tours

Charleston Sole Walking Tours
Ranked #15 of 219 Tours in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: Hi, my name is Brian Simms and I am a 10th generation Charlestonian. Our All About Charleston tour features the history, culture and architecture of the area. We will stroll the streets and alleyways of the "Holy City" while sharing stories along the way, covering overall Charleston history, the people who built this city and its trials and tribulations. There is a rich history and culture I would like to share and look forward to showing you the sights of our area, creating an experience you will remember for years to come!
Deerfield, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Historical Juke Box!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Our first trip to the amazing city of Charleston, so rich with history! Brian from Charleston Sole gave us an amazing historical tour of the city, which gave us a better understanding and feel of this unique city. His energy, passion and humor is unmatched! We got an amazing value, as our 2 hour tour stretched into 3, as Brian's love for his city would not end! His historical knowledge is amazing-the facts and tidbits he knows-is like a "historical human Juke box!" if we visit this lovely city again, Brian will for sure be part of it!

1 Thank Telaviv399

Bend, Oregon
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“A good tour”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Brian is a wealth of historical knowledge! We enjoyed the tour and learning about Charleston, but ultimately left feeling overwhelmed. He told us a little about everything and everything was presented in a random order. We learned about the family in one house during a specific time period and then we would hear about an entirely new individual/building from another time period. The information was disjointed and didn't provide for a clear picture/timeline of Charleston's history. My husband and I would have both preferred learning more about 1 or 2 historical families from the area and how those families/individuals have influenced Charleston over its entire history. That type of approach would still allow for opportunities to reference other famous individuals that have connections with the city and those families, but you would get a more cohesive and concise picture of Charleston and how it evolved. I would recommend Charleston Sole Walking Tours, but I think with a few changes Brian's presentation it could go from good to really great!

Visited June 2014
CharlestonSole, Owner at Charleston Sole Walking Tours, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
I am so sorry for the flow of information that day. I have not been feeling well in the last two weeks and it has noticeably affected my tours as seen in a few of the last reviews. Some have been great tours and some have been just OK. I want to assure anyone who is reading this, I am feeling much better and just finishing up some much needed vacation! Please contact me through email at brian@charlestonsole.com or smith8839@att.net for any information.
“Best tour of the visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

We picked this tour through Trip Advisor and at first were concerned because Brian wasn't available and we had Fin Smith as our guide. But it was an absolutely awesome tour. Just 3 of us and Fin had a wealth of knowledge but what made the tour even more enjoyable was his obvious love of Charleston and of sharing that love with his visitors. I'm sure Brian does an equally wonderful job but we are also very grateful that he does such a good job of hiring superb stand-ins! So thank you both Fin and Brian!

Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great way to see and learn about the city”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

My girlfriend and I had an awesome time on the Charleston Sole Walking Tour. We are from Boston and the guide did an amazing job connecting the events that were happening around the city in Charleston to parallels up North. The day we walked around the city it was brutally hot and humid and the guide made a point to stop in points that offered shade (necessary given the humidity) and also had us take a break midway to grab some water.

I would highly recommend this tour to anyone visiting the Charleston area. While the city is beautiful on its own my girlfriend enjoyed being able to walk around the city after this tour and point out to each other Historical Preservation Seals, Fire Company seals, and also banter back and forth about the architecture of a particular house or building. Also, the points of interest that were pointed out on the tour became vital places to stop the next day when thunderstorms made us have a change of plans.

The biggest stamp of approval I can give is that my girlfriend typically hates historical tours and she found this her favorite part of our time in Charleston.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Will C
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Too much of a good thing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Brian was friendly and knowledgeable, but shared way too much information. The tour lasted 2 hours and 40 minutes, and I thought about dropping out of the tour long before it was over. Brian has the potential to be a great guide if he would limit his wordiness.

Visited June 2014
CharlestonSole, Owner at Charleston Sole Walking Tours, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you for your review. I understand there are times I get a little more wordy due to group interaction. I hope you saw some sites you might have come back to during your stay. I always want to give a great overview of the area and sometimes that introduces different stories than told on previous tours. I need to reel it back in every once in a while. Thank you for letting me know. I hope you had a great time in Charleston!!