“Local art history showcased”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Charleston Art Tours
Ranked #123 of 231 Tours in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: In one of the country's finest art destinations, this tour provides a behind-the-scenes tour of Charleston’s flourishing visual arts community. Working artists guide intimate groups of up to eight guests through some of Charleston’s best galleries and shows at the time period of a guest’s tour. The artist guides share the background information on the artists, including their influences, connections within the community and other details a casual observer probably would miss.
Jacksonville, Florida
“Local art history showcased”
Reviewed 18 August 2010

Martha Sharp is knowledgeable, professional and gracious. The Charleston art scene is so active and vibrant an individual, on their own, would have a hard time choosing what to see. Martha's art tour highlighted area artists from different time periods, working in various mediums but all linked by a common thread - excellence. You can expect to learn about local art history and fall in love with the subject matter that is Charleston.

Wilmington, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great insight into local and nationally recognized artists and their connection to Charleston.”
Reviewed 16 August 2010

I was a little less than enthusiastic when we planned an art tour, but I have to say that Martha customized the experience to my wife's and my tastes. I really am not well schooled in art and my wife is an artist. we bDespite that, we botth really enjoyed the tour and Martha is great. We met a few artists and saw some great galleries and artwork. Martha showed us the "sense" of the Charleston art community that we could not have gotten from just looking through galleries. We also saw a nice contrast of styles and subjects, from New York urban landscapes to still lifes to low country life. Again, I don't think we cold have seen that on our own in one afternoon. It is a nice way to spend the afternoon...and score points with the wife!

Saint Pauls, North Carolina
“THIS TOUR WAS ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL!!!”
Reviewed 21 July 2010

Martha Sharp presented The Charleston Art Tour, like a really good dining out. She gave us NOTHING BUT THE BEST!!! She shared the history of each artist, so muchso that we felt as if we knew them personally. Once you've walked the historic streets of Charleston, where that in itself is like walking in a painting! Then to enter into another world that is simply put, AMAZING, where all of the different artist have put their hearts into bringing to life the visions that were once inside of them to now where there works are being displayed to share with the world. We will definitely be back to BUY!!!

Thank you Martha for helping to make our 11 year Anniversary Special! God Bless You!

Always,
Stephen and Loretta Vinson

Saint Pauls, North Carolina
“Overwhelmingly Great”
Reviewed 20 July 2010

My Wife and I scheduled one of the tours as part of our Wedding Anniversary Celebration. Martha was excellent even though it was only two of us participating we were treated to an overwhelming tour of Charleston's finist art. I was very impressed with Martha's knowledge and zest towards the craft of art. She has inspired my wife and I to learn more about art and possibly try our hand in creating art.

I would highly recommend this tour to anyone and as for Martha if she is available. Thank you again Martha for such a good experience!

Stephen

Massachusetts
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“What a Delightful Experience”
Reviewed 14 June 2010

Part of my travel must include visiting art galleries in the cities I am visiting so what a great experience this was to be accompanied by a knowledgeable guide to not one but four galleries. In each gallery our small group was introduced to the artists exhibiting and also had an opportunity to chat with the people there about the artists and the exhibits. The galleries we visited were all within a few blocks of each other but even the small distance between allowed us to stroll through Charleston's historic district and to marvel at the charm.

Martha is a gracious leader as well as host. We were fortified with cold water at the beginning of our tour and given sparkling water as well as "goody bags" at the conclusion.

The nice thing about this concept is that irrespective of how many times one visits Charleston, there are always new gallery exhibits and new works to view. Do not miss the Charleston Art Tour. It will be the best 2 hours you will spend in the city.