“Excellent venue for Charleston Jazz Orchestra.”

Charleston Music Hall
Ranked #52 of 232 things to do in Charleston
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
192 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 169 helpful votes
“Excellent venue for Charleston Jazz Orchestra.”
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

This is my second time at the Charleston Music Hall for Piccolo Spoleto. The first time was several years ago to see Jeff Daniels and now to see the Charleston Jazz Orchestra. I liked the option of getting general admission or for an additional $10 being able to have a reserved seat in either of the front 2 sections. I opted for the latter and had excellent seats right on the center isle. Although this is an old theatre, it is well maintained with more than adequate bathroom facilities for its size. The acoustics were excellent and the performance of the Charleston Jazz Orchestra excellent. Since this is their permanent home, I plan to attend some of their future performances at this theatre.

2 Thank Stucolco

Whittlesea, South Africa
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“BETWEEN FEASTS!”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Our first experience at the Charleston Music Hall came back in October (13) when we enjoyed a great comedy performance as a surprise from our son. Now we are looking forward to our next event on December 29 when the Blue Dogs host their 25th Anniversary concert. This time we're VIP back stage and meet the artists! Cool. The Music Hall is clearly set up for public performances of all shapes and sizes. From a one man reading to a stage filled with musicians the Music Hall hosts them all. The second floor lobby area is sufficient for small crowds and special offers with a genuine buzz from a few people. If your favorite artist comes to town you can feel confident that Charleston Music Hall will give them a fine venue to perform.

Visited December 2013
Charleston, South Carolina
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Good lineup!”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Charleston Music Hall offers a good lineup of different artists and attractions. From comedians to dance groups - the variety is really attractive. The sound (for music) isn't always the greatest (mostly just the design of the hall) but it's never impacted my experiences there. I've had a great time - and there really is no bad seat in the house.

Visited November 2013
Charleston, SC
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Small venue, great show”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I've lived in Charleston almost a decade now and I had never been to the Charleston Music Hall until recently. I was there for a Tony Lucca & Brendan James show that unfortunately wasn't well advertised (not a lot of people at the show).

I really enjoyed the show there. It is a definitely a small venue, which I love, and lent itself to a great show because of it. There really isn't a bad seat in the house and I thought the sound was excellent. It would be a really excellent place to see a play due to good visibility of the stage from many angles.

The lobby is really small, so I can imagine it can get crowded for a large show.

You can also reserve the hall for private functions. It's next door to a host of restaurants on John and King Streets so its easy to grab a bite before or after a show.

Visited November 2013
Upstate New York
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Welcoming and Fun Venue”
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We saw a "Grass in the Hall" show a couple weeks back and we were pretty happy with the concert. As the previous reviewer mentioned, the opening act (Black Iron Gathering) could be classified as a progressive or hybrid bluegrass band...In my opinion, they were similar to a Flogging Molly of the south. You could tell that they are a young band, especially when compared to the subsequent act, The Bushels - they were incredible, by far the best of the three. The mandolin player reminded me of the Allman Brothers sound. The Nu-Blu were okay...some of the religious talk from this band was unwarranted.

My spouse and I are not huge bluegrass enthusiasts but thought it might be fun to check it out. We were definitely some of the youngest people in attendance. I could see where other patrons were put-off by the first act since it certainly didn't echo traditional bluegrass music, whereas the following two acts did.

The venue is great. The seats are comfortable, staff are nice, the acoustics are crisp and there is bar if you would like to grab a drink. The concert coordinator (I think his name was Eric) personally introduced himself to us before the show and welcomed us. The hospitality here is consistent with most other places in Charleston.

It was definitely a fun night here! Check it out if you can!

Visited June 2013