“Awful, old and dirty!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #31 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Buffalo, New York
“Awful, old and dirty!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

This hotel was such a let down! The lobby furniture was so dirty! Our room on the 3rd floor was old, worn and the rug and sofa bed dirty and stained....bathroom gross..stubble in the tub.....dirty baseboards and floor! We left a few bucks for the maid, she left us a note that she couldn't make the beds because we had pj's on the bed....okay I can understand her not wanting to move our belongings, but she still took the cash! The gross bedspread we put on the floor she threw on our sheets! I will say the pool and hot tub were clean and warm. The breakfast set up was very nice. I agree the location was difficult to find.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Shar Z
Katie R, Manager at SpringHill Suites Charleston Downtown/Riverview, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Shar Z,

It is with my sincerest apologies that we did not meet all of your expectations and it is with regret that my team was not able to sense your discontent and offer their personal service resolution. Furthermore, I do greatly appreciate your honesty and opinioned review.

In regards to the hotel, we stay 100% committed to continually enhancing our facilities; in fact, I trust that you would be highly pleased with the hotel’s multimillion dollar renovations that began this month. We recognize that there are great properties in Charleston and we are completely dedicated to frequent improvements of our facilities and amenities so that we may strive to meet and exceed every guest’s expectations.

I hope you are able to visit us again as it would be a pleasure to welcome you back and to demonstrate our commitment to service excellence. Please contact me directly if you are planning a visit to the area again, and do not hesitate to contact me if I can ever be of any assistance to you.

Yours in hospitality,

Katie Register
Sales Manager
Katie.Register@marriott.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Korean first
Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

This hotel comes across as a big and a bit of an impersonal property at first. You walk in on the ground floor and you are met by an empty space, not an employee in sight. Check in is on the second floor. This fact does not make the hotel appear very welcoming at first. I found its location a bit difficult to find, when you are new to town. You really have to know how to get there, in order not to get lost. Having said all that, the rooms are really spacious and well equipped. Two things struck me with this hotel: the breakfast is really good and the attention/service is very personal. Every morning the manager would make her rounds through the breakfast area and stop to chat a bit with guests and ask if everything was all right. I found that very refreshing. All in all, I think this is a good option for the Charleston area. The hotel is located just outside of downtown/historic Charleston, but it is easy to cross the bridge by car (a 5 - 8 minutes drive) and then find a parking spot in the historic downtown. I would definitely contemplate to stay at this hotel again. The price is also reasonable compared to the very inflated prices in the historic part of town.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bonairetraveller
Snyder, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

This SpringHill Suites is not located in the historic district of Charleston. It is just a short drive away. We did not find this to be a problem for us. The historic district does have several public parking areas. This property had an interesting entrance that I actually enjoyed. The check-in is up stairs - seems like they caught the spirit of the lovely homes downtown. Breakfast was certainly fine with lots of variation. The bed was quite comfortable. It is likely time for a few updates to include new drapes and sheets. Our bottom sheet was torn and failed to stay attached to the mattress all night. Other than these things (neither of which are real biggies), our stay was perfectly fine. I would stay here again were I in the area.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Baxter, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

This was a great place to stay. They offer a shuttle to take you into the Downtown area that starts service at 5 pm nightly and is offered every 30 minutes. My daughter and I really enjoyed having the service. I wish the shuttle was offered during the day, but a taxi was only $10. One morning we drove to the Marina and did a morning walk/run along side the water. Breakfast is served daily and the oatmeal was awesome. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The second floor we stayed on toward the end of the hallway offered water views with a balcony.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ladydianne70
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

My experience after two visits is excellent. The location is great across from downtown, on a marina, and easy parking and access in/out. The full breakfast is nice. I have visited with my family and a large group with no complaints for the value.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
RI
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

The decor is dated, the room was depressing and the bed uncomfortable, plus it smelled bad. The lighting was all of the fake variety so the room felt cold and antiseptic. However, the staff were terrific at the front desk. Also, the cookies (tray there as one arrives) and the complimentary breakfast were both very good. I also felt that the price was high compared to what I'd seen elsewhere. If they would give the place a facelift it could be quite pleasant.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Watkinsville
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Good location with shuttle service provided in the evening to downtown Charleston. Front desk friendly and helpful. However, a lot of rooms with poor views and the smell of mold in ours got to me. Breakfast was good. In the future I would rather stay downtown than across the river.

• Stayed October 2013