“Sping Hill Suites at the harbor”

SpringHill Suites Charleston Downtown/Riverview
Ranked #29 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Maryland
“Sping Hill Suites at the harbor”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Very convenient nice clean place just across the river from historic Charleston.. good breakfast included. the lobby is up one flight from ground level. ample parking with some covered. small pool and hot tub

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank grizzski321

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Korean first
Summerville, South Carolina
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We arrived without reservations and were given a wonderful room overlooking the marina on the fourth floor. We had a wonderful view and were able to open the window to receive a nice breeze coming in from the water. The room was very comfortable and enjoyed the fact that the living area had a nice sized ceiling fan. The front desk receptionist was very friendly and always had a smile on her face. This hotel offers complimentary breakfast. It was good, it had your typical varieties of sausage, eggs, oatmeal, cereals, fruit and danishes to choose from along with juices, coffee and tea. The breakfast area has a balcony overlooking the marina if you choose to go out and have a cup of coffee outside. My husband and I accessed the workout room. It was very clean and had enough equipment and treadmills for us to get a good workout in. The hotel also has a pool but we only stayed overnight so we did not have an opportunity to get in the pool. My only complaint was that I had a hard time finding the reception desk. Please note that you need to take the elevator or stairs to the 2nd floor to register. Also note that the elevator is behind a wall past the staircase, a little confusing. Also, if you enjoy a scented fragrance hotel then you will enjoy this hotel. If you have allergies to fragrances and scents this might not be your best option.

Room Tip: If you stay at this hotel, I would ask for a room overlooking the marina and preferably the 4th floo...

1 Thank sandkanderson
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Wonderful place to stay! Highly recommend it! Great for families, singles, couples - everyone!! Buffet at breakfast was terrific! Who else has a waffle maker where one side is the shape of the State of SC?

1 Thank BKNCOLA
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I checked in and was told that there was only an accessible room available. I accepted it, without realizing that the closet would have low hanging racks. So unfortunately my hung clothes would drag on the floor, which wouldn't have been a problem if the walk-in closet floor wasn't so dirty. There were crumbs from the last guest all over the floor and I just wondered how any housekeeper could've missed it.

I was sure that the next day housekeeping would clean the floor well, but I returned to my room after a long morning and afternoon away to find that my room had not been cleaned. I called guest services, but was told, "we have in our system that you checked in this morning." I wanted to say, well if that's the case, refund my money from last night, but instead politely said I checked in last night, and specifically asked for my floor to be vacuumed, including in the walk-in closet. I even left a tip and a polite note asking the housekeeper to vacuum the crumbs. The following day, the room was cleaned better, but still noticed the last guest's hair on the A/C adjustment knobs and on the kitchen mantle.

The room also smelled dingy from day one, and so I left the window open (which is not a good thing to do due to the mosquitoes), fan on, and sprayed Lysol to get rid of the smell. Didn't really work.

In short, I would not stay here again, but I guess for some who want a mini kitchen and are not accustomed to spotless 4 star+ hotels, then this might work for them

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Chris S
Erin T, Manager at SpringHill Suites Charleston Downtown/Riverview, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Chris S,

Thank you for sharing your recent travel experience with us and other travelers on TripAdvisor. Your feedback is important to us, and we appreciate you taking the time to let us know how your stay was.

I sincerely apologize for the circumstances surrounding your stay. I can assure you that when it comes to cleanliness, we hold ourselves and our staff to a much higher standard than what you received, and this will be rectified immediately. Our goal is to acheive 100% guest satisfaction, and I can see that we did not reach this goal when it came to your stay.

We would love the chance to have you back and show you our commitment to guest service excellence. If you ever find yourself in our area again, please feel free to reach out to me directly and I would be happy to personally coordinate your reservation. Thank you for choosing the SpringHill Suites by Marriott Charleston Downtown/Riverview.

Yours In Hospitality,

Erin Thomson
Sales Manager
erin.thomson@marriott.com
Millers Creek, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My family and I stayed at this hotel for four nights earlier this month. We were very impressed with everything about this hotel. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The room was clean and very pretty. The cleaning staff was wonderful. And one of our most favorite amenities was the free shuttle to downtown Charleston each evening beginning at 5pm. If we return to Charleston, I feel sure we would stay here again.

Room Tip: I had requested a room on a "higher" floor, hoping for a wonderful view. We were given a r...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

2 Thank MomDadandSon
Cleveland, Tennessee
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Went to Charleston for a long weekend. Booked the Hotel partially because of the reviews on tripadvisor, The Hotel was clean and well maintained and the king size pillow top bed was great. The staff was courteous and friendly. We really enjoyed the hot breakfast and the view looking out over the marina and river. Free shuttle was also nice.

1 Thank Greg H
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 27 July 2014

The only ironing board available was about 3 feet long and only rose up about 3 feet so I had to bend over and hunch my back to iron, This was very uncomfortable. and my shirts hung to the floor while ironing. The bed was right up against the A/C unit which blew air directly against the side of the bed. So the rest of the room remained warm and musty while the bed was cold on the side near the A/C unit/wall. The air also seemed to shut off during the night so I woke drenched in sweat during the night. It was horrible.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Katie R, Manager at SpringHill Suites Charleston Downtown/Riverview, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Brian W,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We value your honest opinion as we constantly strive for our guests to have 100% satisfaction and a memorable stay. I have passed on your comments to our Accommodations manager regarding the ironing board for future reference. Also, just to update you, we have ordered guards for all of our air units to push the air up away from the bed. I believe that this will rectify the situation you experienced. Afterall, sleep is our business!

Please know that we take your comments very seriously and really do appreciate your feedback. We would love to welcome you back soon so you can see for yourself our dedication to service excellence. Please feel free to contact me and I will be happy to personally coordinate your reservations. Until then, take care.

Yours in hospitality,