“staff was great from beginning to end”

Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview
Ranked #38 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Many reviews have already stated that the hotel is not downtown and that there is an evening shuttle. This is not the nicest Residence Inn I've ever stayed in, but the staff could not be better. From a phone call before I arrived to the moment I checked out, each person at the front desk and breakfast bar was wonderfully helpful and friendly. The place is also very clean. It is a 14 yr-old Residence Inn that sees a whole lot of use so it is a big ragged around some edges. My only true criticisms however, are that: 1) the bed was very very very soft and my back did not appreciate it, and 2) there was no parking in the evening. At all. Except for in the grass some distance from entrance. Change the mattresses, add some parking, and its a winner!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank PenrynC

Reviewed 27 May 2013

I booked this location as it was close to where I needed to be in Charleston area. Overall, a very good stay. Check in was problem free. Young lady at desk, an "intern", was very attentive and should have a great future with Marriott. Reception was going on and we were invited to participate. We got drinks but we didn't see anything we liked (soup night). Room was on fourth floor (top) and overlooked woods and side parking. Room had separate bedroom. Very comfortable bed. Fast internet. Good choices for TV. Lots of lighting in room. Plenty of electrical outlets. We slept with windows open for the cool air but there were no screens in any window so beware during bug season. Water pressure in shower was good. Towels absorbant. Breakfast was fine. Nice selection of foods. Outside tables by pool were a nice touch. Hotel is seeing its age. Some stains on carpets. Parking can be a problem if you arrive late on a busy night. Many had to park in "non" parking spaces. Bottom line, a nice place BUT if I had the choice, as there are two Marriott properties next to each other at this location, I might stay at the other. Next door is a Spring Hill Suites and having stayed there in the past, I liked it better.

Room Tip: Inner court over pool seemed nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Katie R, Manager at Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay! I apologize to hear that you had issues with parking, but am happy to hear this did not take away from your overall stay. Our parking lot can get busy at times when we have large groups in with multiple cars per room. We do have a vacant lot next to the hotel that provides plenty of additional parking and is near a hotel entrance. Thank you for choosing to stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott Charleston Downtown/Riverview. We hope to see you again next time you are in the area!

Reviewed 19 May 2013

We selected this hotel as it was pet friendly and we had our dog with us. I have to say I saw a lot of dogs there! They have breakfast as well as an evening reception. The only thing that I disliked was they had a shuttle but it did not start until after 5pm. Also, even though the hotel is pet friendly, the shuttle is not, not even for mini or small dogs. It is a quick 5 minutes drive into the downtown area. Note that the parking is not terrible by any means in the city. There is also a place to eat within walking distance of the hotel, however we did not try it. I would say this is a good one, however do not be enticed by the name, it is not actually IN the downtown, you have to drive.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for the kind review! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott Charleston Downtown/Riverview! We love pets here at the Residence Inn and welcome them with open arms as part of the family! Just a side note-- we cannot allow pets (even small ones) in the shuttle to downtown. We take the health of our guests very seriously and cannot allow this due to pet allergies. Thank you in advance for your understanding! We hope to see you and your four-legged best friend next time you are in the Charleston area. Thanks for choosing the Residence Inn by Marriott Charleston Downtown/Riverview!

Reviewed 9 May 2013

We stayed with a week with our pets. The hotel was convenient to downtown if you have a car or want to take their shuttle in the evening. If you go during the day, you'll need to get a cab for about $12. The room was small and fairly clean, though we had trouble with some things not working. The housekeeping staff was very good responding to requests. The breakfast buffet provides a large variety of good food, with healthy choices. Overall, we felt we got a good value for our money since we were only in our room to sleep. The hotel needs updating and a good spring cleaning, but it was fine. There is nothing wrong with the hotel, I just only give outstanding ratings if everything is truly outstanding. Bottom line: clean, comfortable and fair price.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Donna F,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We appreciate your kind comments and are pleased to hear you enjoyed your overall stay.

In regards to the hotel, we stay 100% committed to continually enhancing our facilities; in fact, I trust that you would be highly pleased with some of the hotel’s upcoming renovations. We recognize that there are great properties in Charleston and we are completely dedicated to frequent improvements of our facilities and amenities so that we may strive to meet and exceed every guest’s expectations.

I hope you are able to visit us again as it would be a pleasure to welcome y’all back and to demonstrate our commitment to service excellence. Please contact me directly if you are planning a visit to the area again, and do not hesitate to contact me if I can ever be of any assistance to you and your family.

Reviewed 8 May 2013

Just finished-up another business trip in Charleston SC. The staff from Katie the Sales Mgr all the way across the board are top notch. They are always very friendly and make you feel welcome. This Residence Inn is in a great location in Charleston. I have been staying for years at this Residence Inn business and pleasure with my family.

I highly recommend this Residence Inn as it is my favorite Marriott in my business travels in NC/SC.

Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We stayed with our two dogs for nine nights. The hotel is pet friendly and comfortable, but a bit worn out. Our suite was a bit too small for the furniture, and the carpet was really dirty. You couldn't tell by looking at it, but when I tried to dry up some water I spilled... geesh! That kind of grossed me out the rest of the time.

The location is great if you have a car. It will only take about 5-10 minutes to get downtown. They have a shuttle, but it is only available in the evening. I asked the front desk to call for a cab for me one morning. There was a mix up and what was supposed to be a ten minute wait turned into a 45 minute wait.

We didn't ever go to the evening happy hour, but the breakfast service was great. The selection is large -- from healthy choices to sausage and biscuits -- and they make sure they don't run out of anything The dining room is well lit, clean, comfortable and has plenty of room. We enjoyed relaxing with a cup of coffee and reading the complimentary papers without feeling rushed.

The staff was very friendly and helpful and greeted us warmly every time we came down to breakfast, in from dog walking or back in the evening.

The hotel needs updating and a good spring cleaning, but it was fine.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2013

This hotel was the perfect location - just minutes to the downtown historic area for shops, and dining and arts- I mean minutes. A free shuttle is offered during evening hours which is super convenient. We took a cab into town ( a five dollar p/p cost) and took the free shuttle back to the hotel - worked out perfectly.
Lovely accommodations - suites offer everything a traveler could need from kitchenette amenities to a beautiful crystal clean pool and a good variety of food on the continental breakfast offering. I will stay here every-time I stop into the Charleston area. BUT BEST OF ALL....,
Occasionally I travel with my (uber well behaved) 6 year old Boxer dog, and I look for hotels that are pet-friendly. I have stayed in many over the years. THIS location ranks among the BEST.
Yes the pet fee is a little steeper than some, but it is well worth it. I would not have even guessed that the room was pet-approved - no hint of past puppy pals.

I cannot conclude without a shout-out to Robin at the Front Desk - she was so friendly ( I mean aren't all southerners) - but she took the time to explain where best to focus out sightseeing to optimize our limited time. And her dining recommendations were spot-on. She called our cab for us, and was just delightful. An asset to any competitive hotel location.

Our Boxer gives this a 4 Paws Up rating ( with a tail wag added for Robin)

Room Tip: Request Room # 130 - close to the exit for dog walking - won't disturb other occupants
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Katie R, Manager at Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2013

Thank you so much for the great review! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay! We love pets here at the Residence Inn and consider them part of the family! Make sure to check out our pet package on the package page next time you are in Charleston. We have so much to offer our four-legged friends! I will make sure to pass on your kind comments to Robin. She is a true asset to the hotel and to our guests!

Thanks for choosing to stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott Charleston Downtown/Riverview. We hope to see you and your sweet boxer again soon. Give him a scratch behind the ears from us! :)

Katie.Register@marriott.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charleston
SpringHill Suites Charleston Downtown/Riverview
Holiday Inn Express Charleston Downtown - Medical Area
North Charleston Marriott
North Charleston Marriott
#21 of 60 in North Charleston

Been to Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview? Share your experiences!