“Smokey Stench, Soulless. Give it a miss.”

Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview
Ranked #40 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We stayed at the hotel on 21st June 2013 while attening a friends wedding, as did many other invitees. When we arrived we were given a room which appeared attractive. We changed and went to the wedding reception but on our return the room had an overwhelming stench of cigarette smoke coupled with what also seemed to be strong marijuana usage. The stench was funnelled into the room by the air conditioning system, clearly no filtering taking place.

This was reported to reception who expressed thanks for having let them know !!! They would "look into it".

After an hour in which the smoke was aggravating my partners asthma and causing eye burn to me we again went to reception to complain. The receptionist was asked to accompany us to the room to experience first hand the stench and she agreed that it appeared to be cigarette smoke with elements of marijuana. She agreed to contact her manager and revert to us. Of course there was no further contact, no offer to change rooms, no apparent action to solve the stench. We had to endure the aggravation throughout the night because the hotel had no interest in their customers comfort or wellbeing.

The following morning our disatisfaction was again reported to reception. They seemed a little nonplussed but when we pressed the matter they simply offered a discount on our booking cost.

All in all, a very unsatisfactory experience from a hotel where high standards were expected. However the stench coupled with the repeated lack of concern suggests that this hotel should be avoided. On a general note, the hotel is remote from shops or bars etc and the reception area is lifeless.

Give it a miss, try elsewhere... the experience can only be better.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Katie R, Manager at Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Dear Nirvana999,

I hope you are doing well in beautiful Ireland! On behalf of the entire Residence Inn by Marriott Charleston Downtown/Riverview team, we appreciate your opinioned review, and we sincerely apologize that we did not fully meet your expectations during your visit with us. I thank you for the details you provided, and I assure you we already have and will continue to address those legitimate failures.

Since your visit, the front desk agent who you passed on your complaint to is no longer with us. Obviously, the issue was never passed on to management, as we take these matters very seriously. You can rest assure that this is not how we typically operate. We make complete guest satisfaction and service excellence our top priority and deeply regret that we fell short during your stay with us.

Our management team and owners stay 100% committed to continually enhancing all aspects of our hotel. I do hope you may consider staying with us again when you are in the area with the hopes that you will see for yourself the changes we have made. If you do decide to visit us again, I please ask that you contact me directly as it will be my pleasure to personally coordinate your stay with us. Thank you, and take care.

Reviewed 17 June 2013

My parents, my husband, my daughter, and I stayed here in April 2013 for a wedding. We had a two bedroom/two bathroom suite. The bedrooms were smaller than I expected (you had to unpack your suitcase and use the drawers), but the "living" area was plenty large (and well stocked), and the bathrooms were good sized. Our rooms were serviced promptly and throroughly each day, and they respected the "do not disturb" sign. My name and my father's name (since my parents checked in ahead of me) were both on the reservation, but we still had issues checking in. They also didn't really understand my request for a "flat" pillow (what is it about hotels only having bigg, fluffy pillows?). We got lost going to the hotel several times - Ripley Point Drive is a small little street off a twisted mess of streets, and our GPS (and the hotel directions) weren't the greatest - it was easier coming from points downtown Charleston than any other points. They did have a shuttle that ran on the half hour (if you are willing to walk a block over to the Springhill Suites, it was every 15 minutes) during the evening to downtown Charleston (right near the City Market), which was great and saved us from having to deal with Charleston parking and driving. Everyone used the pool but me, and said that it was adequate, but clean and had plenty of towels. The breakfast was adequate, but there wasn't enough seating. I thought the price was high, but we were travelling during peak season, and we did have the biggest room on property. My biggest complaint was that there wasn't near enough parking - if you weren't parked by 8 pm, you weren't getting a spot in the parking lot...on-street parking was legal free, but still.

Room Tip: High floors have less outdoor noise, and rooms in the back have a better view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Dear Gleek_Wisz,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your hotel experience with other travelers. We truly appreciate it as we are always striving toward service excellence and complete guest satisfaction!

We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed all the fantastic and complimentary amenities the Residence Inn by Marriott Charleston Downtown/Riverview has to offer! On a different note, we are so sorry to hear that you had problem with a parking space. Sometimes, due to large groups in house (several cars per room), we may run into this issue. Luckily, however, we are located on a private road and offer many different open spaces as a backup when needed.

We hope to welcome you and your family back again soon! Should we have the pleasure of doing so, please call the front desk for directions and/or if you get lost. We will be happy to guide you in! Driving in Charleston can get a tad confusing with all of the one-way streets and rivers, but we are here to help and to show you what southern hospitality is all about!

Reviewed 16 June 2013

We went to Charleston for a getaway with family. We had a two bedroom suite that was excellent. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. When we got to the room the AC did not seem to be working. The hotel sent some one up right away. He had it working in about 15 minutes and the room cooled down. The daily breakfast was superb.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Wolfgang37

Dear Wolfgang37,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share such a wonderful review with other travelers. We appreciate it more than you know! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and all the amenities the Residence Inn by Marriott Charleston Downtown/Riverview has to offer. We hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon! Thanks for choosing the Residence Inn by Marriott!

Reviewed 16 June 2013

As soon as we walked in, it was a pretty lobby (like an old, stately home). Unfortunately, there was an old, moldy smell that hit us. The staff at the front desk were so friendly, and helpful to us. They sold us the tickets we needed for some tours in Charleston and we can's say enough good things about them. The pool area was nice as was the breakfeast in the morning.

Our room was another story. The furniture was very outdated.....the kitchen table chairs were flaking and cracking, corners on all the tables were scraped up as was the kitchen cabinets, our desk chair was broken. The carpeting was older and fraying in spots. In one of the bathrooms there was a big spot of blood on the carpet. Yuck! You could see around the door jabs had been painted, but it wasn't the same color. Parts of the drapes in one bedroom weren't hooked on a hook, just hanging and one light didn't work while another had a bulb missing.

To top it off at 4:00 am the fire alarm went off in our room and we had to get up on a chair and take out the battery to get it to stop! After that we heard a small beep the rest of the night from the alarm since there was no battery in it. Needless to say, we were not happy campers. The front desk the next morning was apologetic and gave us 1,000 Marriott Points. That was nice, but I think most of our experience was just unacceptable.

We stay mostly all in Marriott hotels, and this was the first that we were not happy with. I can't believe how run down our room was. We directly checked out and went to a Residence Inn in Mt. Pleasant, SC and was pleasantly pleased with that property. You really need to keep up the rooms to the Marriott standard. I feel sorry for the people who work here as they were so very nice.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear Melissa886,

I hope all is well in Iowa! It is with my sincerest apologies that we did not meet all of your expectations and it is with sadness and regret that my team was not able to sense your discontent and offer their personal service resolution. Furthermore, I do greatly appreciate your honesty and opinioned review.

In regards to the hotel, we stay 100% committed to continually enhancing our facilities; in fact, I trust that you would be highly pleased with the hotel’s upcoming full renovation planned for the beginning of 2014. We recognize that there are great properties in Charleston and we are completely dedicated to frequent improvements of our hotel so that we may strive to meet and exceed every guest’s expectations. Complete guest satisfaction and service excellence is and always has been our number one priority.

I hope you are able to visit us again as it would be a pleasure to welcome y’all back and to demonstrate our commitment to excellence. Please contact me directly if you are planning a visit to the area again, and do not hesitate to contact me if I can ever be of any assistance to you and your family.

Reviewed 31 May 2013

When traveling my family will always stay at a Marriott Brand if it is available and this is the second time we've stayed at a Residence Inn. The young lady at check in was extremely pleasant and helpful. Our suite was a little smaller than the two bedroom we had in New Orleans but was much better in the fact that this two bedroom had two bathrooms. The décor was very nice, except for maybe the sofa...it was a little uncomfortable for sitting. Everything was so clean, especially the bathrooms...no nasty shower curtains and no sign of mold anywhere. The breakfast was so good every morning and no matter what time you went down they were never short on food. The layout of the stations was so much better than many of the other Marriott's we stayed at, no long lines at the waffle station blocking you from getting to the other food. They had everything placed so you could get to each station easily no matter how many people were there. The pool was extremely pleasing, loved the salt water...so much nicer than one with chemicals. Also loved that the staff took the time to arrange the chairs each morning and place clean towels on each of the chairs. The cleaning staff was so pleasant and also took the time to do little touches that I appreciated. I loved the location, just minutes away from everything downtown but also so close to Folly Beach that we could make a few trips to enjoy the ocean and sand. When making a trip to Charleston I highly recommend staying here, such a bargain for everything you get...spacious bedrooms and baths, breakfast and all the little touches that the staff does to make it feel almost like a resort. So much nicer than staying in a hotel room with two beds.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank JEllen59
Katie R, Manager at Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and all the amenities the Residence Inn by Marriott Charleston Downtown/Riverview has to offer! I will make sure to pass on your kind comments to the staff. They are a true asset to the hotel and to the guests. In fact, we were just rewarded #3 in Staff Service Overall in all of the Residence Inns in the WORLD!

Thanks for choosing to stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott Charleston Downtown/Riverview! We hope to have the pleasure again next time you are in the area!

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Many reviews have already stated that the hotel is not downtown and that there is an evening shuttle. This is not the nicest Residence Inn I've ever stayed in, but the staff could not be better. From a phone call before I arrived to the moment I checked out, each person at the front desk and breakfast bar was wonderfully helpful and friendly. The place is also very clean. It is a 14 yr-old Residence Inn that sees a whole lot of use so it is a big ragged around some edges. My only true criticisms however, are that: 1) the bed was very very very soft and my back did not appreciate it, and 2) there was no parking in the evening. At all. Except for in the grass some distance from entrance. Change the mattresses, add some parking, and its a winner!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank PenrynC
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I booked this location as it was close to where I needed to be in Charleston area. Overall, a very good stay. Check in was problem free. Young lady at desk, an "intern", was very attentive and should have a great future with Marriott. Reception was going on and we were invited to participate. We got drinks but we didn't see anything we liked (soup night). Room was on fourth floor (top) and overlooked woods and side parking. Room had separate bedroom. Very comfortable bed. Fast internet. Good choices for TV. Lots of lighting in room. Plenty of electrical outlets. We slept with windows open for the cool air but there were no screens in any window so beware during bug season. Water pressure in shower was good. Towels absorbant. Breakfast was fine. Nice selection of foods. Outside tables by pool were a nice touch. Hotel is seeing its age. Some stains on carpets. Parking can be a problem if you arrive late on a busy night. Many had to park in "non" parking spaces. Bottom line, a nice place BUT if I had the choice, as there are two Marriott properties next to each other at this location, I might stay at the other. Next door is a Spring Hill Suites and having stayed there in the past, I liked it better.

Room Tip: Inner court over pool seemed nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Katie R, Manager at Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay! I apologize to hear that you had issues with parking, but am happy to hear this did not take away from your overall stay. Our parking lot can get busy at times when we have large groups in with multiple cars per room. We do have a vacant lot next to the hotel that provides plenty of additional parking and is near a hotel entrance. Thank you for choosing to stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott Charleston Downtown/Riverview. We hope to see you again next time you are in the area!