“Less than Average Actually”

Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview
Ranked #38 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
“Less than Average Actually”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My adventure with this hotel started with the manager Erin back in February. I was booking for a friends wedding this past weekend, June 13-15. I spoke with Erin on the phone trying to decide on Residence Inn or Spring Hill. I emphasized that water views were most important because this was also a celebration of our anniversary. She let me know that Residence Inn had water views and would be better because of the upgrades they had made to the rooms. Checked in Friday June 13, walked to my room opened up the curtains only to find I was looking eye level at the roof of the lobby. Oh and by the way not the upgrades I had anticipated. That would be strike one. Also, while on the phone with Erin back in February I told her that a good friend would be transferring rewards points to my account for our anniversary. Would this be a problem I asked, "no problem she said just call this 800 number." Talk about misleading! The hoops my friend had to jump through was ridiculous, not to mention there is paperwork to be signed and faxed in. Looks like strike two. Shortly after getting into our room Friday I needed to take a shower to make our dinner reservation. Got in turned on the shower and had no water pressure. Called the front desk and guess what the water main had just broke and the whole hotel was without water. "No water for at least an hour" they Ashley said at the front desk. Now I know things happen, but because of what I had already experienced prior to this I am going to give them strike three. Last but not least we were using the shuttle Friday and Saturday night to downtown. Friday we got to the shuttle pick up at 11:40 pm for an 11:45 pm pickup. Shuttle picked us up at 11:50 pm and all is well. Now on Saturday my wife and I got to the shuttle stop earlier at 11:35 pm and guess what no shuttle. I called the hotel at 12:00 am and the guy at the front desk said "we can't get a hold of Stanley, don't know where he is." After going back and forth with the hotel for a bit they finally got another shuttle over to pick us up. Looks like strike four. And just to be picky when I gave them my credit card at check in I was told we just need to "swipe it for a hold." Nope they charged the card $40. Could that be strike 5. Now I know there are far more horrific things going on elsewhere in the world and people may think I am being picky. But when you are paying $500 and not even staying downtown you hope for just a bit better. So the positives, breakfast was pretty good and the staff was friendly. That's about it. Now after this Erin or one of the other managers is going to make a statement below this about customer service is important, we're sorry, or something to that nature. Fact of the matter is it's too late and I will certainly not be back. I will also caution others to look elsewhere before booking here. My uncle is going to Charleston next weekend and guess where he is not staying....

Room Tip: Don't book here at all if you want to see water.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank J M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Korean first
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My husband and I have attended quite a few meetings at this hotel but we actually stayed here this past weekend. We have always found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The hotel decor is very attractive and the suite was perfect. The hot breakfast is very good and varies from day to day.

The fourth floor has recently been refurbished. At this moment the second floor is under renovations.

The hotel does not get five stars from me because there is not sufficient parking. We had to park on the shoulder of the road out front. We had a suite with an eastern exposure. I never figured out the source but there was a frequent, loud, dull "roar" that seemed to come from somewhere outside. If you have a choice ask for a fourth-floor room that does not face east.

The hotel calls itself "Downtown/Riverview" but it is neither downtown nor does it have what I would call a view of the river. Yes, you can see the river if you look over parking lots and the tops of other buildings but in my mind "Riverview" conjures up the idea of a hotel on the river. It is not that. The hotel is actually located west of the Ashley River. You cannot walk to downtown. There is a shuttle service. As long as potential guests understand the situation I would recommend this hotel as a good place to stay in Charleston.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Stafford
Reviewed 15 June 2014

This property is my "go-to" hotel for the area. Fantastic staff, flexible booking, wonderful rooms. The shuttle service to downtown is a huge deal, as are the meals. Overall a fantastic option for anyone visiting the Charleston area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed 14 June 2014

This was our first visit to Charleston and our first leg of a trip up the east coast. We often stay at Residence Inn's as they accommodate our two dogs. This hotel was clean, well decorated and at a lovely location. The staff was helpful, and very courteous. I know that we will be staying here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Richmond, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Wonderful property, great staff, great shuttle service. Couldn't have been happier with our stay.
Room was very clean and spacious. Complimentary breakfast had nice variety each morning. Wine tasting on Friday evening was very good.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Jimmy B
Murrells Inlet
Reviewed 11 June 2014

The staff at the hotel was very friendly and helpful. I loved the towel turtle that was on the bed when we arrived. The only negative thing I could say is that the sofa was not very comfortable to sit on. The shuttle and pick up from downtown is a plus. I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 11 June 2014

My family arrived from Atlanta and we greeting nicely from the desk person, who let us know that our groceries were already in our room upstairs. Wow, that was nice. Room was large and clean, and everything stocked it was supposed to have. Breakfast in the morning was Residence Inn-like - I like making my own waffles. That night, the snack was pasta, meatballs, sauce and garlic bread - all very nicely done. And no end to the beer and wine either. No soft drinks, but endless sweet tea and lemonade more than made up for that. Great value in a nice hotel - located very close to downtown. Did not use free shuttle to downtown from 530-1030pm, but heard it worked great for those who did.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family