“Great stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #38 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Sarasota, Florida
“Great stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Had a really great stay in this hotel. The staff are all really friendly, and go out of their way to
Please. They have a shuttle to the historic district from 5:30 until 11:30 pm.
Besides a complimentary breakfast they also have different snacks in the afternoon, and in the
Early evening a light meal or wine,beer and appetizers. I would definitely stay there again.

K post

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Korean first
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I was greeted upon entry with pleasantness and goodies after a flight from Baltimore to Charleston. The flight, like any other flight in an American airport is always filled with hassles, long lines, and dynamic noises ranging from jet engines to small children. Upon entering the hotel, I was greeted with my favorite candy bar, a cold beverage, and smiles from all the staff. My room was well prepared and adorned in southern comfort and beach styling. The furniture was appealing as it was a sectional with comfort which i quickly took possession of till 1800. Snacks and games followed in the dining area where complimentary snacks and beverages were readily available. It was the perfect ending to a long day and a solid depress to next day meetings and work. A little bit of home, being far away....Righteous...: )

Room Tip: Always ask for the balcony...there is something about fresh air, a quality beverage, and the sounds...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank Rick G
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

We had a most unsatisfying stay. We had asked for two queen beds. When we got there we were told the two kings were sold out. Our room was on the first floor facing the pool. Except that the balcony was unusable due to the four air conditioning compressors sitting right in front of our balcony blocking our view of the pool. The compressors were loud and emitted tons of heat. The balcony was also filthy.
This hotel was a category 6 hotel which means we paid close to $300. Later in the week we stayed at a Fairfield Inn for $130 that was nicer and a better value. We are loyal Marriott customers that always use Marriott and have loved Marriott hotels and time shares. This was our worse Marriott experience ever. The hotel does not deserve the Marriott name.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 126

1 Thank Mike G
Katie R, Manager at Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Mike G,

I hope you are having a wonderful day and that your travels back to Washington DC were pleasant!

It is with deep sadness and regret to hear that your stay with us did not meet all of your expectations, and for that, I sincerely apologize on behalf of the entire team. Also, I apologize that we did not meet your perception of the accommodations you reserved. Our hotel does not have two beds in one room as other Residence Inn hotels may have. We do have two-bedroom suites which have two bedrooms and two bathrooms, but these are subject to availability upon booking. I have since investigated on our website, and feel that our room descriptions and room layouts are very clear and straightforward.

On a different note, I can assure you that our rates are competitively priced with other surrounding hotels. Our amenities, however, are second to none in the downtown area. Our complimentary evening social, hot breakfast, free parking, Wi-Fi, and evening shuttle to the historic district are amazing added bonuses that definitely add to the overall value. We truly apologize that you were not happy with your room view and balcony and regret to hear that we were not able to rectify the situation. Please feel free to email me with more details so that I can look further into the issue--- were we notified, etc? Our number one priority is 100% guest satisfaction, and your feedback is much appreciated in reaching that goal.

I hope that we are able to welcome you back next time you are in the area so we can demonstrate our commitment to service excellence. Please contact me directly if you are planning a visit to the area again, and I will be happy to personally coordinate your reservations.

Yours in hospitality,

Katie Register
Sales Manager
Katie.Register@marriott.com
Decaturville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Service was excellent!!! Room was clean & the people were so nice & helpful. Breakfast was offered each morning as well as snacks & such for a couple hours during the day. Weeknights there was social hour & dinner was served. Will definitely stick with the Marriott chain.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Pleasant hotel but noisy due to nearby construction. Helpful staff, nice amenities. They did run out of food 10 minutes before the scheduled end to dinner service which was disappointing. Also they were not able to apply an AAA or AARP discount after we arrived since we had already made the booking.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Clean and fun. Shuttle service to downtown in the evening. The pool was a little small but had plenty of chairs. The staff sponsors many extra activities. The bed was good but not great and could have been larger.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

My adventure with this hotel started with the manager Erin back in February. I was booking for a friends wedding this past weekend, June 13-15. I spoke with Erin on the phone trying to decide on Residence Inn or Spring Hill. I emphasized that water views were most important because this was also a celebration of our anniversary. She let me know that Residence Inn had water views and would be better because of the upgrades they had made to the rooms. Checked in Friday June 13, walked to my room opened up the curtains only to find I was looking eye level at the roof of the lobby. Oh and by the way not the upgrades I had anticipated. That would be strike one. Also, while on the phone with Erin back in February I told her that a good friend would be transferring rewards points to my account for our anniversary. Would this be a problem I asked, "no problem she said just call this 800 number." Talk about misleading! The hoops my friend had to jump through was ridiculous, not to mention there is paperwork to be signed and faxed in. Looks like strike two. Shortly after getting into our room Friday I needed to take a shower to make our dinner reservation. Got in turned on the shower and had no water pressure. Called the front desk and guess what the water main had just broke and the whole hotel was without water. "No water for at least an hour" they Ashley said at the front desk. Now I know things happen, but because of what I had already experienced prior to this I am going to give them strike three. Last but not least we were using the shuttle Friday and Saturday night to downtown. Friday we got to the shuttle pick up at 11:40 pm for an 11:45 pm pickup. Shuttle picked us up at 11:50 pm and all is well. Now on Saturday my wife and I got to the shuttle stop earlier at 11:35 pm and guess what no shuttle. I called the hotel at 12:00 am and the guy at the front desk said "we can't get a hold of Stanley, don't know where he is." After going back and forth with the hotel for a bit they finally got another shuttle over to pick us up. Looks like strike four. And just to be picky when I gave them my credit card at check in I was told we just need to "swipe it for a hold." Nope they charged the card $40. Could that be strike 5. Now I know there are far more horrific things going on elsewhere in the world and people may think I am being picky. But when you are paying $500 and not even staying downtown you hope for just a bit better. So the positives, breakfast was pretty good and the staff was friendly. That's about it. Now after this Erin or one of the other managers is going to make a statement below this about customer service is important, we're sorry, or something to that nature. Fact of the matter is it's too late and I will certainly not be back. I will also caution others to look elsewhere before booking here. My uncle is going to Charleston next weekend and guess where he is not staying....

Room Tip: Don't book here at all if you want to see water.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple