“This is a boss hotel.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview
Ranked #38 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
“This is a boss hotel.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Excellent value super helpful staff rooms are clean and fully furnished even the balcony. Near the water kids had a blast in the pool. Stay here they will accommodate ur needs. Had a great nite sleep woke up charged up and ready for the day. Being our first time in Charleston this place made a great first impression.

• Stayed August 2014
      Cleanliness
1 Thank trippynig

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Korean first
Aiea, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

Staff was very friendly and took care of several requests (credit card change, band aids, little stuff, but helped out in a cheerful spirit). Breakfast was standard with waffles in the shape of South Carolina. They made a yogurt/granola parfait; very good. Room very spacious, comfortable. Beds/linen very nice. Pool and fitness center were good. Only negative was parking. If you got back late on the weekend when the hotel was busy the parking overflowed onto the street. I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014
      Cleanliness
Clayton, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

For the second time in 3 years we spent 3 days and 4 nights at this Inn. As always the staff was wonderful and the accommodations excellent. The salt water pool is a very nice touch. Complimentary breakfast was usually quite good for that sort of thing. Proximity to the other islands and beaches as well as the free shuttle service downtown was perfect.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank Ligobear
Las Cruces, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

After a disastrous night at a different hotel we moved here. It was only a king studio, but it had plenty of room and a balcony with pool view and above all it was CLEAN. On the downside the a/c unit is vented to that balcony and blows hot air out if it's running which makes the balcony a little hot. We finally moved the furniture to the other side which made it more bearable. Quite nice early in the morning. The pool was a little crowded at night with children so I swam in the morning when it was quite peaceful. The staff were all friendly and very helpful. Hot breakfast in the morning was very good. A free shuttle to take you to the downtown area in the evenings. We liked it so much we stayed there an extra night. I am a Marriott rewards member, but had never stayed at Residence before, now we're hooked. I used their laundry facilities while we were there and everything was very clean and well maintained.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 3rd floor and it was kind of an inside corner room which was quiet and comfortab...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sharon B
Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

This was an great stay. The rooms are clean and quiet. The extras (evening snacks with beer and wine) were good and the evening shuttle rides to downtown were a great idea to avoid the hunt for parking in the evening.

The front desk staff was really exceptional- D'Andre was super and deserves recognition by the hotel management for providing great hospitality.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Elgin, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

I stayed at the Residence Inn in Charleston for 2 weeks while working and had disastrous results.

I've stayed at this hotel before (I'm a Marriott's Reward member) and was aware of their 'pet friendly' policy. On previous stays, I've gotten into the room to find animal hair on the furniture and carpet. They do not do a good job at cleaning the rooms after a guest brings a pet in.

This stay was for 2 weeks while I was working. I worked every day then came back to the room in the evening and continued to work every night in the room, eating my meals in the room. I didn't have time to site see or do any activities outside of work on this trip.

After 1 week in the room, I developed a round rash on my stomach and some intense itching and bumps below my belly button. I immediately reported this to the front desk and went to the doctors the next day (missing 3/4 of a days work).

The doctor confirmed that I had picked up ring worm (a very contagious fungus that can be transmitted and carried via animals and on surfaces such as bed sheets and furniture). Since the only places I had been were work and the hotel room, I have good reason to believe that I picked up the fungus from the room. Probably from a guest that had a pet with them.

I requested that the hotel change all the bedding and clean my room, which they did. They also followed up the next day with several calls to me and offered to send me to a doctor - but I had already been to one that afternoon. I also requested a change of room, from a one bedroom to a two bedroom as I was having family come to visit during the last 2 days of my stay. I requested they do extensive cleaning in the new room and it appeared that they did.

After the couple of phone calls that next day, no one from the hotel contacted me again regarding the incident and never offered to compensate me for anything. They didn't even offer points or free stays. I was completely put off by their lack of concern for something that was quite an ordeal for me. I've never had ring worm, not even athlete's foot, even though the doctor told me it was an easy thing to pickup as it is very contagious.

When I returned to my room the next day, I found water leaking through the bathroom ceiling and dripping onto the toilet. I reported this to the front desk. They did send maintenance up immediately to look at the problem. The toilet in the room above me was leaking and they repaired the leak right away but they couldn't get all the water out of the space between the rooms so it continued to drip water all over the toilet, splashing onto the floor.

After about an hour, I went to the front desk to see what they were going to do since I couldn't use the bathroom without having to clean up the floor and toilet, and without having water drip onto my head. - All attitude from the front desk clerk. The clerk smirked at me and told me there was nothing she could do as they didn't have any open rooms. I asked her what I was supposed to do since I couldn't use the bathroom without getting dripped on. She shrugged and said she had no idea. Several hours later she called up to my room to ask me if the dripping had stopped and sarcastically asked if I wanted her to come up and wipe the water off of the toilet.

Things just keep going badly as I changed rooms. I moved from a 1 bedroom to a 2 bedroom during my second week and specifically asked if the corporate rate would be different. I was told that the rate would be the same. When I checked my reservation online, the rate was higher. I talked with the front desk again and the desk clerk was all attitude (no surprise at this point), insisting that no one would have offered me the same rate for a 2 bedroom suite.

The rest of the stay was uneventful, although I'm can't imagine how it could have been any worse. They did give me the 2 bedroom suite at the 1 bedroom rate but that was all the compensation I ever got for the extreme stress that I went through.

I'd recommend skipping this hotel.

Room Tip: Request a room that hasn't had any pets in it.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Denise B
Katie R, Manager at Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Denise B,

I hope you are having a wonderful day and that your travels back to Elgin were pleasant! As a passionate service professional, you can imagine that I am disappointed to read that we did not meet all of your expectations and for that, I sincerely apologize on behalf of the entire team.

Even though we both agree the failures you experienced seemed to be "a perfect storm" and very uncommon, we stay 100% committed to excellence so that every guest's high expectations of us are met or exceeded. Please know that we take cleanliness very seriously and that we implement an all day de-allerization cleaning process for rooms that have housed pets. During this process, all linens are stripped and the entire room is professionally steam cleaned (including the curtains, carpets & sofa). We also have our pest control company visit on a regular basis to ensure that our hotel stays pest free. After much investigating and research, we feel as it is safe to say that the ringworm was not contracted at the hotel. ALL linens (including sheets, towels, bathmats, etc.) are washed daily in all of our suites.

I hope you are able to visit us again as it would be a pleasure to welcome you back and to demonstrate our commitment to excellence. Please contact me directly if you are planning a visit to the area again, and do not hesitate to contact me if I can ever be of any assistance to you.

Yours in hospitality,

Katie Register
Sales Manager
Katie.Register@marriott.com
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband and I just got back from Charleston and we stayed 3 nights as the Residence Inn. When we first booked the hotel we were a little worried that it wasn't right in the historic district but we didn't want to pay the prices for the hotels down there. I can't say how much we enjoyed our stay here.
They have a shuttle that will take you and pick you up from the historic district that runs from 5PM - 11:45 PM. The shuttle driver was very nice and extremely helpful. He suggested places to go and gave directions.
The hotel has ample parking. We got a rental car so that we could go to the beaches while we were there. We drove to Folly and IOP, the hotel was pretty central to everywhere we wanted to go.
For free hotel food, they have really good food. The breakfast was the best free hotel breakfast that I can think of. We also attended their Manager's Happy Hour one evening and a beer tasting another evening.
Every person we encountered working at the hotel was very nice and helpful. The pool was nice, it's small but it wasn't crowded, and they allow you to drink out there.
I would definitely stay at this place again when we hopefully make it back to Charleston in the future.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple