“5 stars to the staff but only 3 star rooms” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Renaissance Charleston Historic District Hotel

Renaissance Charleston Historic District Hotel
Ranked #42 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Berea, Ohio
“5 stars to the staff but only 3 star rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

The staff of the Renaissance were wonderful, polite and helpful during our 3 night stay. I could not have been more happy with their service but the rooms left a lot to be desired. Upon check in I was assigned a room on the 3rd floor right outside the elevator and the window overlooked the pool. Needless to say it was so noisy I had to change rooms. The bathroom floor and shower in this room was covered with hair and there was a big tear on the duvet cover. The staff quickly changed my room. The new room was much quieter but the duvet in this room also had a big tear. I would think the housekeeping would know to dispose of duvets with holes and tears in them but obviously not. Other than this the room was adequate. I give the staff a 5 and the room a 3. The location was awesome so I would consider staying there again but I would not seek it out.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Klabens

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

The entrance is hidden from the main streets but this keeps the hotel quiet and calm. 50yds from the shopping on King St and 100 yds from Meeting St where the night life starts. It`s a walking city and the hotel will serve as a peaceful base. As a Platinum member I was given a huge corner room with was well appointed. Shower was particularly powerful which is always welcome.

Staff were very welcoming and helpful and had lots of tips about what to see and do. Great place for a two or three day break

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

On Feb 18th, I booked a King Suite with a special request for a king-size bed for Friday, Feb 21st. My credit card was charged $476.56 on Feb 18th. On Thursday, Feb 20th I called up to the hotel and asked to cancel my reservation, but was told that could not happen unless I gave 72 hours' notice. I arrived at the hotel on Friday, Feb 21st at approximately 9:00 pm. Upon checking in, I was told that the hotel had been over-booked, and my room had been given away. I asked to be refunded the amount, but was told my card had not been charged. I then called my card carrier and verified that my card was, in fact, charged $476.56 on Tuesday, February 18th. They then transferred my reservation to a sister hotel, about 20 minutes away, a Marriott. Upon checking in to this hotel, I discovered I was being placed in a 150 sq ft room, with one full-size bed. I referred to it as the "broom closet". Seeing that I paid for and requested a king-size bed in a King Suite, it's safe to say I was quite upset. Still, I checked in and continued with my stay. What I was unaware of at the time, however, was that this Broom Closet was adjacent with the hotel gym. At 5 in the morning the music was blasted so loud, I could feel the vibrations through the wall. By 6, I got up, packed my bags and I checked out. I told the concierge about my stay and asked to be compensated with at least a breakfast or valet service. I was simply told they didn't do things like that. I then asked for a refund for the King Suite I had paid for, and I was told that $500 was the going rate for the weekend for a standard room. It took over half an hour to convince the manager to refund the money, and even when she did, she was reluctant. The worst part of this stay was the lack of compassion and apologies from all staff members and both locations, not even from the managers. I frequent the area often and pay good money to stay at four star hotels. Renaissance Charleston did NOT exemplify four-star service, and I advise every one of my friends and colleagues to NOT stay there!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anonymous5685
Brian W, Manager at Renaissance Charleston Historic District Hotel, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Thank you for staying with us at the Renaissance Charleston Historic District Hotel and we greatly appreciate the feedback you have shared with us. It is obvious from your feedback that you did not receive the level of service you have come to know and expect when you stay at a Marriott Hotel. I want you to know that I take your comments seriously and have addressed each item accordingly. We spend a tremendous amount of time and efforts in training our staff on how to handle issues resulting in a positive guest experience. It is therefore very disheartening when we fail to satisfy our guests as we did in your case. We value you as a guest and want to ensure that these opportunities are resolved to your complete satisfaction. Therefore, please feel free to contact me directly so that I may learn more about your experience and make sure that you are completely satisfied with the resolution.

Warm Regards,
John Benefield
Director of Hotel Operations
John.benefield@marriott.com
843-534-9013
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Love Renaissance hotels, and this one did not disappoint. Ideally located between King and Meeting, with easy access to everything in the historic distric. Comfortable rooms, with all of the features you'd expect. Highly recommended.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Ridgefield, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

For a Renaissance, this hotel does not have a big chain feel. The lobby and restaurant are small, more like the luxury boutique hotels in the historic district of Charleston. Easy walk to everything. Room just fine. Service great. I'd stay again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Indy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

This hotel is a very average example of the brand, so it was pretty much as expected from the get go. No pleasant surprises. I was a disappointed in the food and the level of service in the dinning room. I had to take silverware from another table to eat from the self service breakfast buffet, which did not have a self service beverage option. I waited quite a while to get a beverage and then turned invisible to the staff. Not even an offer to refill on the orange juice or any attention whatsoever, and i even had to get up and run down a staffer and ask to pay my bill. However, what really prompts this poor review is that I awoke this morning to find my invoice had been slipped under the door, indicating I was to check out today. The only problem was I was not leaving until tomorrow. I made my reservation on line and am a Marriott points elite member, so I double checked my email and online reservation, and confirmed that I was not schedule to check out until tomorrow. Why check me out early? Oh well, I guess getting shunned in the dining room on the juice refill and an early invoice under the door is just the polite southernly way of telling me I overstayed my welcome. No problem, I decided to check out and go spend my $ elsewhere. I will not be back.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Brian W, Manager at Renaissance Charleston Historic District Hotel, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
Thank you very much for staying at the Renaissance Charleston Historic District Hotel and for taking the time to share your experiences. It is disheartening to hear about your experience in our restaurant & hotel. I would love the opportunity to speak to you more about it. Please feel free to contact me directly so that we can discuss further. My contact info is listed below. We certainly value you as a guest and I want to ensure that these items are resolved to your complete satisfaction. Thank you again for sharing your feedback and I look forward to speaking to you soon.

Jamie Goss
F&B Operations Manager
Jamie.goss@renaissancehotels.com
843-534-0300
Cary, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Spent my wedding anniversary at this property.
It is very well located right at the heart of King St.
The service is friendly but not always attentive.
The rooms are comfortable but the bathroom is getting to a point when it will require some renovation (moldy grout).
I would recommend this place in spite of that.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple