“Romantic Weekend-- even with kiddies!”

Belmond Charleston Place
Ranked #13 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Charleston, South Carolina
“Romantic Weekend-- even with kiddies!”
Reviewed 25 September 2011

We scheduled a romantic staycation-- had sitter issues-- ended up bringing the kids with us- luxury is not the only word that describes this hotel! Amazing time will do again in a heartbeat! Hated to leave-- kids had music this am-- had to go-- but will be back for sure!

Room Tip: Stay on the club level for amazing treats and a wonderful bar!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (626)
New York City
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Stayed here in the end of august with one of my friends.

Pros: hotel is absolutely beautiful, great lobby, there is a mini mall in the hotel and the restaurant in the hotel is simple, good food for breakfast. the concierge is amazing, the most helpful concierge i have ever experienced at a hotel... they give out direction cards to everywhere you want to go and literally cannot wait to help you. amazing location. this is in the center of everything- you don't need a car at all (if you're staying downtown).

Cons: there werent many. oddly enough, we had NO cold water, it was terrible. we called and complained and were told "We're in downtown charleston..." hmmm ok, i guess thats a valid reason? Also, the rooms were dated... huge clunky tv in an armoire that breaks the whole room in half and a tacky huge shower curtain/drapes thing that you know has never been washed...

overall, i would come back and stay here because of the staff and location. but they need to update the rooms.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Greenville, SC
Reviewed 15 September 2011

The Charleston Grill and Charleston Place Resort are worthy of every accolade available.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles
Reviewed 15 September 2011

My family and I stayed at the Charleston Hotel because it was listed as a fine hotel from American Express. The front staff was rude to us, when we checked in. The reservation was not exactly as I was told to on the phone and instead of trying to fix it, they blamed for asking for special accomendations that I had requested when making the reservation and being told it would not be a problem at all. Our rooms weren't ready even though it was after four. They ignored the customer in line behind me even though there were people behind the desk just chatting with each other. The mens' spa was under construction and they didnt bother to mention that to us when we made our reservation, so there wasnt either the sauna or showers etc in the men;s locker rooom. When I went to sit by the pool, they were out of towels. The breakfast that came with the room was very good and the service there was excellent. On the other hand when we tried the bar for lunch it was a different story. I can honestly say I have had better food at mall food court than what they served us and charged me almost $80 for a family of four for chicken tenders and sandwiches. Would not stay here again and can honestly say I would never recommend it either. The hotel is pretty but overall the service would not be acceptable in a three star hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank cktravelerla
CharlestonPlace, General Manager at Belmond Charleston Place, responded to this review, 23 September 2011
Dear cktravelerla,

Thank you for your recent review of Charleston Place. Although I am sorry your stay was less than satisfactory, I appreciate you bringing these issues to our attention. I wish I had the opportunity to address this while you were on property. I have shared your comments with the departments you mentioned in order to prevent these issues in the future. Thanks again for your thoughtful feedback.

Paul Stracey
Farmington, Connecticut
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I have stayed on the Concierge/Club floor of this hotel approximately ten times in the last 12 months. Imagine how unappreciated I felt when I just requested the hotel waive a two night stay minimum when I requested a reservation for a November visit. My daughter just enrolled at the College of Charleston and I will be visting often as the food and service I have experienced in the past has been excellent. Yes the rooms are a little dated... but that is part of the Southern charm.

I have requested that Lucy Franklin who is the "Luxury Service Coordinator (the person who denied my request) provide me with the General Managers (Paul Stracey's) contact info to request that he honor my request. We'll see if she gives it to me? Or just ignores it?

Room Tip: Stay on the club floor
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
CharlestonPlace, General Manager at Belmond Charleston Place, responded to this review, 22 September 2011
Dear Clark K.,

Thank you for sharing a review of your recent email exchange with Lucy
Franklin. I am glad a member of team was able to speak with you by phone so that we
could better understand your needs. We look forward to having you as
our guest for your stay in November. We take pride in being a "second
home" for the parents of our local college students. In the future if there is
anything you need, please don't hesitate to call me directly at 843-722-4900.
Thank you for your continued business at Charleston Place.

Paul Stracey
usa
Reviewed 13 September 2011

This is the only property listed with my premier travel program in Charleston, so we decided to give it a try. It was a great choice ... not super luxurious or five star quality, but a good, solid four star selection. It was very convenient for a city tour and was perfectly located for visiting with our family at the College of Charleston. The rooms are comfortable, with older style decor and selections ... exactly what we expected for a historic, downtown Charleston hotel. We had a junior suite with a king bed and a small sitting area. Bathrooms are not an updated style - fixtures were newer, but we had a tub/shower combination in a small space. We had a courtyard view in our suite, however my sister had a room that overlooked the main (King) street. We all agreed that it was more desirable to have the beautiful city view to watch the activity below, even though there might have been more street noise. The halls were already a bit noisy, so if this is a concern - you might want to request a room away from the elevators and at the end of a hall. Overall, this is a great choice for downtown Charleston, as there are few other options available in this category. If you want a more luxurious property, you would need to take a 35-45 minute ride to the Sanctuary at Kiawah Island. For a city stay, I would recommend Charleston Place.

Room Tip: Suites offer a lot of extra square footage, so ask for or book the upgrade. Rooms on the street sid...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank stilloutthere
Midlothian, Virginia
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Hotel and staff were nice. Concierge was not very helpful and gave us incorrect information twice...seemed too busy to pay attention to our requests. I think overall the room and service were nice but they could provide more attention to their guests. I personally don't like all the shops in my hotel and prefer more of a boutique hotel ~ something smaller with more character and charm. Parking was very convenient.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple