The Meeting Street Inn(Charleston)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 03/08
Book now, pay at stay
US$209
US$184
  • Breakfast included
King Charles Inn(Charleston)(Great Value!)
US$205
US$194
Official Website
Free cancellation until 28/07
US$261
Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$322/night.

Holiday Inn Express Charleston(Charleston)(Great Value!)
US$107
HIExpress.com
French Quarter Inn(Charleston)
Free cancellation until 29/07
Book now, pay at stay
US$343
US$117
HolidayInn.com
Town & Country Inn and Suites(Charleston)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 04/08
US$136
The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel(Charleston)(Great Value!)
US$215
US$206
Priceline
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$240/night.

Sleep Inn Charleston(Charleston)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 01/08
US$103
3,456 results
All reviewsclub levelpalmetto cafethoroughbred clubretractable roofbeautiful hotelrenovated roomluxury hotelthe location is perfectsouthern charmjunior suiterooftop poolking streetbell staffthe concierge levelturn down servicefitness centerheart of downtown
Reviewed 9 December 2013

This hotel has it all and is in the heart of historical downtown Charleston. The staff are second to none and I could not have been more pleased. Valet employees, housekeeping, room service and the Concierge were all more than helpful!

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 9 December 2013

My party of three arrived at Charleston Place late Thursday night November 27th, 2013 due to the weather and was greeted by very warm and friendly staff. Our room was very nice, although I will select a Junior Suite on our next stay. We did have our Yorkie with us and he was very comfortable throughout the stay. We had a delicious meal on Thanksgiving at the Charleston Grill was very exceptional.
During the morning of Thanksgiving we had breakfast at a delightful restaurant, Toast. The breakfast hot and very filling portions. Another morning we had breakfast at Eli's Table and the sweet potato pancakes were awesome. We had Friday dinner at Hyman's Restaurant which was very good also. I will stay at Charleston Place on my next vacation. It was my fourth vacation to Charleston. I am looking forward to the next vacation. My party of three were celebrating my daughter and future son-in-law's engagement. Very Satisfied!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We've been visiting Charleston since the 70s. Since Charleston Place opened we consider it the ONLY place to stay in the city. The hotel is run impeccably; the staff is always courteous, friendly, gracious and extraordinarily thoughtful and kind. We've always been pleased with how comfortable and quiet the rooms have been- somehow I always sleep later than I ever can at home. The food is well prepared and beautifully presented. The lobby bar is our favorite place to unwind at the end of a day with just the right mix of vibe and soothing music along with impeccable service. We always look forward to spending time on the rooftop pool area- it's an oasis from the heat with its cool drinks and soothing pool. I always try to fit in at least one service at the Spa- it's divine! We've stayed over 10 times and each time we leave with regrets.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I've never been so tired the next day after staying at a "high end" $300+/night hotel. Maybe it was the drive home at 2AM or the 2 hours of listening to people talking in the hall, the air conditioner fighting with itself, sirens, snoring, and cars honking in the parking garage every time a valet fetched a car. Regardless of the reason, if you are looking for a comfortable place to get a good night's sleep you will want to choose another location in Charleston.

The biggest problem, by far, was the 1960s heating & air conditioning unit in the room. You would think for $300/night (on discount, $400+ normally) that they would spend the $2100 and start replacing these units. It was by FAR the loudest unit I've ever heard in the hundreds of hotel rooms I've stayed at in my life. Every time the compressor kicked in it was like listening to a dump truck trying to fight its way up a steep hill. "KERRRchunk.... brrr ggrrrrrr aaaawwwww BOOOOOMMMPPHHH psssssstttttt KERRRchunk bbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrr" then, after the cacophony of sound the fan would kick on for a completely random amount of time. Could be 2 seconds or 10 minutes before it would shut down being accompanied by the obvious sigh of relief from the compressor... like a 400 pound guy that just made it to the top of the Ravenel bridge after a jog... "awwwwwww pffffffffffffffffffffff gaaaah". Then, dead silence for an unknown amount of time. Oddly we had the fan set to the on position to help drown out the noises elsewhere in the hotel, but it clearly was overworked much like the compressor and would stop whenever given the opportunity.

Dead silence, by the way, is a description of the air conditioning unit only. As soon as all was quiet there you would hear all kinds of fun noises like people walking down the hall talking. I'm sure they were not yelling but it sounded like EVERY person was sitting on the foot of our bed and having a conversation. Doors slamming. People snoring. I felt like I was staying in a boarding house for the homeless.

As for as maintenance & upkeep, don't let the beautiful lobby and mall downstairs fool you. While common areas are well maintained the room was clearly neglected. The front entry hall, while having potential to be beautiful, was overly worn. It reminding me of the $400/month 4-bedroom apartment my brother rented in the 60s with worn-out uneven floors that you stepped over so you wouldn't fall through them to the first floor. They clearly have never used Tilex to clean the bathroom tiles with black mold clearly defining the outline of the shower spray on the walls in the what-was-white grout in the bathroom. A sitting chair arm popped off as soon as I went to move it. I'm not sure if the MODEM / phone port on the wall was charming or a clear sign that these rooms have not been updated since 1992 when the Internet first started to become popular with travelers.

The staff, while a select few were very friendly & helpful and worthy of 5-star service reviews, were inconsistent. More than half were "stiff & unfriendly" with a distinct "I've got a stick up my behind" attitude more reminiscent of a New York hotel stay than the typical friendly & warm greetings that are far more prevalent in Charleston. It was clear which employees have been in Charleston long enough to be infected with the warm, friendly & over-accommodating (in a good way) influence of our home town and which are either "new imports" or clearly believe that the cold & dry approach is how 5-star service personnel are to behave.

If it were not for the few great staff members and the ease of dealing with the manager the next day to get a credit back for our stay, this would be a 2-star review. Hopefully Charleston Place starts paying attention to customer reviews at places like TA and starts doing a FULL rennovation soon. The hotel is in a GREAT location right at the end of The Market and leading over to King Street (though midtown between Calhoun & the Route 17 "crosstown" is the new hot spot in town), has a great lobby and a great restaurant, and has a LOT of potential. However most people end up spending 6-8 hours straight in the room where sleeping is a priority and until they fix these very-easily-addressed problems Charleston Place will become a far over-priced 2-star experience. You can pay far less for a far better stay in Charleston with the brand-new hotels in downtown & newly developed Midtown taking away the last few remaining reasons to stay at this location.

As for the area, if you are in town for 24 hours definitely check out Cru Cafe for lunch and Cyperss for dinner. We've heard FIG is great as well, but in 2 years we've never been able to make weekend night reservations even 4 weeks out... if you plan on going there make reservations for Friday/Saturday night at least 2 months in advance.

Room Tip: Not sure if there is a good room, but based on noise intrusion on the 3rd floor I have 2 recommendations... as far away from the elevator & main hall as possible. Stay off the 4th floor where the spa, pool, & fitness center reside. Maybe you will hear less hall noise. Maybe.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
CharlestonPlace, General Manager at Belmond Charleston Place, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear CharlestonSW_com,

We are sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations. We do often repair and replace our air conditioning units on a very regularly basis, but we are sorry if your particular room's air conditioner had maintenance issues. I can assure you that we are looking into this room's air conditioning unit now. I am glad to hear that management was able to provide you your credit back in an easy manor. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Paul Stracey
Charleston Place Hotel

Reviewed 7 December 2013

We came here for a birthday celebration/staycation and were sorely disappointed. My husband wanted a place in downtown Charleston with a pool and spa. This is the only hotel that I know of that has both so despite the mixed reviews, I booked a room.

When we arrived, it was very busy. The front desk was neither very warm or welcoming, though at least not rude. The lobby was beautifully decorated for Christmas with a large train display and several Christmas trees.

When we got to our room, it was hot and we could not get the air conditioner to work. Within 1 hour maintenance had 'fixed' the a/c. The room was mediocre, with lots of wear and mold in the bathroom shower between the tiles. Our room had an adjoining room on BOTH sides of us.

We went to Cypress for dinner (excellent experience) and returned to our room around 11:30 PM.
We are experienced travelers and always turn the fan on to drown out noise from other rooms/hallways. The noise level in this hotel seemed a bit louder than many we have stayed in. Before dinner we heard a person walking down the hall speaking profanities as clear as if she was in our room. We were very glad our 7 year old was not with us.

We turned the fan on in our room when we were ready for bed. The fan would kick on for about 5 minutes then turn off for another 15 minutes. Then it would turn on for literally 2 seconds and turn off again for another several minutes. Each time it kicked on and off it was very loud. We laid in bed for about 2 hours trying to fall asleep in between doors slamming, fire engine sirens blaring, cars zooming by, & people talking in the hallways. The final straw was hearing loud snoring coming from the room next to ours.

For $300+/night we found this unacceptable. So at 2 AM we packed our bags and headed home for a good night's sleep in a comfy bed (the bed in our room was so-so in comfort).

The next morning I called and spoke to the manager who was apologetic and refunded our money. We were ready to give this hotel 2 stars, but because of the way the manager handled the situation, we gave it 3.

Note to hotel: your front desk and housekeeping staff need to take customer service lessons from Mickey at the Charleston Grill.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear nillarilla,

As we said for your husband, we are very sorry that your room's air conditioner was an issue, but we are glad that we were able to resolve the issue with you and your husband afterwords. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Paul Stracey