“As good as things get in Charleston... and priced accordingly...”

Belmond Charleston Place
Ranked #13 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Charleston's charm is in large part a result of its historic architecture, and there are a number of small, charming hotels and B&Bs that reflect the city's unique heritage. But that's not Charleston Place. Charleston Place is a relatively modern hotel. It's architecture, while thematically evocative of the city's historic style, seeks to deliver a luxurious contemporary hospitality experience, and it succeeds on almost all fronts.

The staff is attentive and welcoming, and makes a genuine effort to make guests feel comfortable. The hotel's rooms are certainly pleasant, although having stayed in several over the past two years, they're ready for a refresh, which we were told is underway. Not that the rooms are an issue. Ours was spotless, attractively accessorized and furnished, and an opening balcony door allowed us to enjoy the pleasant fall air. (I confess an extreme aversion to hotels with windows that don't open...)

We were upgraded to the "club" floor normally an amenity that's hardly worth the price. You know... lots of free soda, melted ice bowls and salty snacks... crap you can definitely live without. But Charleston Place takes this feature to a new level with high quality pastries, fresh fruit, food items and beverage options changed several times a day to complement the day part. Definitely, a cut above the usual offerings.

Then there's the location. Right on the best block of King Street, an easy walk to most of the city's charms and best shopping, and great restaurants like 82 Queen and Husk. And speaking of restaurants, don't miss The Charleston Grill. Yes, it's stunningly pricey, even by this New Yorker's standards, but absolutely worth it. Maybe the best rack of lamb ever...

Speaking of price, in high season, Charleston Place is certainly premium priced, but again, it's a matter of getting what you pay for and in my view, the the hotel delivers. Of course, the savvy traveler will negotiate and explore the hotels' various web packages, of which there are many. So if it's old world charm you're looking for, Charleston Place might not be the most historically authentic option. But if you just want a very nice room, in a hotel with lots of amenities in a central location, and you're not on a budget, you'll be very pleased with Charleston Place.

Room Tip: You might want to avoid rooms facing King Street, which can get noisy.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Belmond Charleston Place

Reviewed 20 December 2013

From a letter I wrote to the general manager the day after we returned:

My husband and I had the privilege of staying at your hotel this week. As I'm writing this, I'm wondering if you grow weary of receiving compliments about your incredible staff, but am crossing my fingers that you don't.

We checked in on Saturday, losing nearly an entire day due to a flight cancellation. As soon as we set foot on property, we were very warmly greeted. Brenna at the front desk was so bubbly and without knowing of our delayed trip, she said, "You know what? Let's go ahead and upgrade you to our club level." She asked if this was our first trip to Charleston and told us to "prepare to fall in love with it." We did, thanks in great part to her thoughtfulness and your staff's "easy way.".

As the parents of three, we so enjoyed our beautiful room, its balcony view and all the peace and quiet it afforded over our three night stay. We awoke Sunday to the drifting aroma of coffee. How nice to be able to pad a few doors down for fresh, hot coffee and to be greeted so gently by staff. I felt quite weak at the sight of the pastry selection, but tried to be "good" in choosing fruit until I spied the smoked salmon and capers. Then, all bets were off!

An odd request before dinner one night, I asked for a Bloody Mary. The bartender, Ken, happily made me the most delicious one I've ever had. We live in Virginia, but have a second home in Maine and I really thought I'd tasted the best one "ever made" in Mid-Coast Maine, but Ken's superseded that. When I sheepishly returned for "seconds", the younger bartender offered me cucumber-infused vodka. This is the part where I reiterate that I am a mother of three. Requests are constantly made of me, never by me!

When I said how delicious my first one was, Ken went back and retrieved the mix he uses and showed it to me, offering to write down the funny name "ZingZang." I said I probably couldn't get it in Virginia and he said, "I think you have Harris Teeter's there. I know Harris Teeter sells it here. Try." The following evening, I asked for another one. Though the bar was very busy both nights, Ken said, "You've had one with and without the cucumber vodka. Which do you prefer?"

My husband and I have stayed at many beautiful, "superlative" properties, but never one where the staff seemed to enjoy their jobs so much and were so effortlessly effusive and cheerful for it. I don't think you can train for or teach that. We really appreciated the absence of pretention and affectation that we can't stand.

My mother remains is something of a "manners maven" and always professed that good manners were "nothing more than paying close attention and always considering others first." In suburban Washington, DC, that basic philosophy seems to be rapidly vanishing. We thank you for restoring it. Even the recent college graduate who tended the spa was so friendly and seemed genuinely glad to ask where we live.

We came home so grateful to the collective "you" and anxious to return to Charleston Place. "You" will certainly be an annual destination for us and we thank you and your gracious staff for all your Yuletide spirit. I hope, as a favor to me, you will include our thanks in Brenna and Ken's files. I'll bet both are quite thick with rave reviews, all very well deserved.

Room Tip: Club level is amazing
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kilbride2013
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My husband and I just returned from a fantastic weekend at Charleston Place. The real standouts of this hotel are the staff, the attention to detail and the cleanliness. The rooms are very nice but not outstanding. They are extremely clean with nice soaps, shampoos, etc. and turn down service. The hotel is older and our room wasn't very soundproof. We understood in that it is an older hotel but it was still a little noisy at times. What is outstanding is the staff and the way they make you feel welcome, appreciated and taken care of. Our experience started before we arrived with an email from a concierge asking if we needed dinner recommendations or anything else. After saying that we wanted to eat oysters, the concierge made an excellent recommendation and reservation at The Ordinary. The next day, we went to the concierge desk to ask for a lunch recommendation and were again given an excellent choice of The Leaf. We had such a perfect day on Saturday starting with a great breakfast at The Palmetto Cafe - had vouchers from the package we had purchased. Otherwise, it is a bit pricey for breakfast. We then walked around the beautiful waterfront area. The hotel has a 4.6-mile run all mapped out for you so we did that - another example of great attention to detail. Then we went for a swim in the divine salt-water pool - perfect temperature. And then to lunch at The Leaf, back for an afternoon nap and then dinner at The Ordinary. From the cleaners to the bellmen to the concierge, the staff was over and above. The location of the hotel was perfect as well. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: We stayed a couple of years ago in the main part of the hotel, which I believe might be newer. I do...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank catwh
Reviewed 19 December 2013

we spent a long week end in Charleston SC
stayed at a great hotel the Charleston Place great location and great service
dinning room also good
service great
self park a good deal
rooms large and very well done
the decoration for Christmas was very nice

Room Tip: ask for the 7 and 8th floor breakfast and drinks included
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 December 2013

The pillows in the rooms are horrible even after requesting new ones that were supposed to be softer.

Staff could be a little more welcoming at the door.

Lots of construction taking place inside hotel....noisy! Also my AC/Heat seemed to be malfunctioning.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Jay S
CharlestonPlace, General Manager at Belmond Charleston Place, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Dear Jay S,

While we are glad that you enjoyed the hotel's appearance, we are sorry to hear that there were aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations. We are installing new furniture and we apologize if this caused any disturbance during your stay. As for the air-conditioning and heating unit, we do have engineers available 24 hours a day for maintenance issues just like this. Though we are disappointed your stay was not what you anticipated, we do appreciate your feedback.

Paul Stracey
Charleston Place Hotel

Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

My husband and I expected a lot more luxury from an Orient Express property. This hotel was on par with a 3-star hotel, at best. It is outdated and the rooms, in particular, need a major refresh. The quality of the accommodations are not reflective of the price point. You will not get your money's worth at this property. On a positive note, the service was quite good. Until a renovation has occurred, we will not be back.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 December 2013

The Charleston Place was the perfect place to stay for a long weekend in Charleston. It is situated in the perfect place downtown with easy access to the market and harbor and lots of restaurants. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The spa,pool, and fitness center were added bonuses. We enjoyed our stay very much and definitely would stay again!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends