“Great place”

Belmond Charleston Place
Ranked #13 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Very nice and clean place to stay. The staff was helpful and very friendly. This place is near the market district close to many landmarks. I would definitely stay here again. You can't go wrong. Many great restaurants to try.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rick K
Write a ReviewReviews (3,336)

Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

The hotel itself is absolutely full of charm and elegance! Also, the gardens and landscaping outside the hotel is phenomenal on its own! Aside from it being gorgeous and having wonderful rooms, plus a fantastic location that's accessible from 3 different streets, the hotel staff is wonderful! For starters, I went to the restaurant for breakfast and I ordered something which I didn't end up liking, and they were totally awesome, they let me order the buffet but let me have anything from the buffet, including hot stuff even though I asked for the basic buffet! Secondly, I was so careless that I left my wallet, with money, credit cards, and my ID, in the hotel room, and by the time I figured it out, I was already 2 hours away in Savannah. They overnighted it to me because I was leaving for New Jersey that day, and I just got it now, and nothing was out of place! STAY AT THIS HOTEL IF YOU'RE GOING TO CHARLESTON! I highly recommend it! Thanks Charleston Place, I will return to Charleston solely to visit the hotel, and for the food! :)

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

For me, the best part of this hotel was the location for sure! Starbucks right out the back door, right at the start of Market St. And much more!

I was also impressed with the food for their banquets. We were there for a multi-day event and it was surprisingly good for hotel food. The buffet chicken was moist & flavorful. They had little creme br��l��e desserts the one day and I thought they were very good!

My hotel room as a bit different. Apparently they have remodeled several sections and my room was not one of those... The musty smell in the bathroom was difficult to overcome the very first shower... The wooden floor entry almost killed me several times with how slick it was!!! Shoes, barefoot, socks, it didn't matter - it was like a cartoon how I would slip around on it. Actually banged my elbow hard the one time. And I'm a (relatively) fit 30 yr old!

Beware of the floor & musty smell.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
CharlestonPlace, General Manager at Belmond Charleston Place, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Dear Soundadvice07,

It sounds like you enjoyed aspects of your stay including the banquet food and our centralized location, but that your room was not what you expected. In the future, please let the front desk know if you are unhappy with your room and if there is space available they will be more than happy to move you to another room that better suits your needs. Thank you for your positive and constructive feedback.

Paul Stracey
Charleston Place Hotel

Reviewed 24 March 2014

This hotel is very welcoming and the new rooms on the 6th floor are very upscale. The problem is with the t.v. Cable that stutters every few mintues-very annoying if you just want to watch a little tube at night. A light was broken on the bed that was also annoying because we both could not read at the same time. The bathroom is very weird- I am very short and could barely brush my teeth as the counter with the sink was extremely high. The bathtub/shower was weird in that you have to sort of climb over the high side that is marble. It makes for a big and high bathtub but if you are at all elderly or unsteady it is an accident waiting to happen. They should put in grab bars for really anybody as it is so high. We stayed for 3 nights and the bed was very comfy and the food at the Palmetto is very good(the she crab soup is the best soup I have ever had) . The food is very pricey but if you want to splurge it is very good. I would go back but they need to attend to the above problems.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room that has been renovated- the 6th floor is all done.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We recently spent 3 nights at this lovely hotel, which was the site of a business meeting I was attending. It is excellently situated in the heart of charming old Charleston, and despite the construction occurring at the entrances, it is a very pretty place. Top drawer service, friendly and knowledgeable staff and an excellent facility are all good things, and Charleston Place has them all. Catherine had one of the best massages of her life, and an excellent French manicure, at the Spa, and the small fitness center was adequate for my needs. We utilized both restaurants (Charleston Grill and Palmetto Cafe) and the Thoroughbred Lounge, and enjoyed all of them.
The facility was a superb choice for my business meetings, which went off without a hitch. There is a Club floor, but we stayed in a Junior Suite, which was large, spacious with a modern bathroom with top shelf products. The premier quality stores on the ground floor are another bonus. Quality and service like this doesn't usually come cheap, and that was the case here, but you get what you pay for, and I'm looking forward to a return to Charleston and we're definitely staying at the Charleston Place again!

Room Tip: I always like the Club Floor if one is available. I didn't sample this one, though. Our Junior S...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Simply put, this is a great hotel. Rooms are comfortable and immaculate, location is near everything, the pool is one of the nicest I've seen in a hotel. Most of all, everyone on the staff is warm, welcoming, and very helpful; especially the concierges who are never too busy to give you their time, attention, and great recommendations.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We spent four glorious days in Charleston, SC on a package we bid on and won for a local charity. The Charleston Place was a larger and more commercial hotel than we would have selected on our own, but we were pleasantly surprised by the hotel's very attractive furnishings, gracious and personalize service and obvious convenience.

We stayed on the 8th floor club level (nothing is too high in Charleston, except the steeples) and had a beautiful view of the battery and the harbor beyond. Our room was spacious and nicely appointed with room for reading and desk work in addition to sleeping and dressing There was also ample room for two to unpack for a week in the entertainment unit and to store personal toiletries in the bath. The decor was traditional old South, but comfortably of a bygone era.

The club level offered delicious and ample continental breakfast, afternoon tea and cocktail buffet. There were hot and cold entrees for each meal and excellent beverage service. There were two floors of seating for the club connected by a sweeping spiral staircase and another beautiful two story view of the battery and the harbor. We also had use of the excellent indoor outdoor salt water pool and up to date gym a few floors below with views to the rest of Charleston. The pool was great to keep up my lap swimming.

But what really made our experience special, was the amazing professional and personal service throughout the hotel. From the minute we pulled in off Meeting Street the doorman took our bags and directed us to easy self park, my preference. At check in we were greeted by name and knowledge of our charity package. We were upgraded to the club level and wisked away to our room all in 15 minutes. We stopped down at the concierge desk and were helped with lunch plans in two minutes with a printed map to the restaurant (an excellent choice for our first meal and only 4 blocks away). We came back for a more in-depth review of our tentative itinerary to make sure we were optimizing our stay. The knowledge and love for the city was obvious and every member of the concierge staff was eager to help. They helped us get the most our to our time and our meal opportunities (this place was great for foodies).

You might expect excellent service from well trained service staff members, but it was the housekeeping staff and grounds keepers that really amazed us. In addition to keeping the place spotless and beautiful, (did I mention that there were beautiful seasonal arrangements every where you turned), they always stopped for a brief but genuine greeting. These were happy folks, enjoying their work and truly wanting you to love their hotel and their city. And we did.

Room Tip: Ask for harbor side.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple