“Poor service is the story” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Belmond Charleston Place

Belmond Charleston Place
Ranked #15 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
SF
“Poor service is the story”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights as a family.
Rooms: We were located on the 7th floor. We got a room that was not yet renovated. The air conditioning was so loud that we chose to open the windows at night rather than have it drone. The technician told us that the entire hotel suffered from this problem, even the renovated rooms.
Otherwise, the room was good, a decent size and clean. The beds were comfortable. The walls are a bit thin.
Service: The service was extremely poor. We arrived at about 2 PM and were told at check-in that the room was not ready. We were asked to wait for about 1 hour while they put a rush on getting our room cleaned. They promised to call us when it was done. We decided to have a drink at the bar right in front of the check-in counter. We checked with registration after about 90 minutes with regards to our room. We were informed rudely that check-in was at 4 PM and the room would not be ready until then. Finally we checked in again at about 4:30, no call yet, and the room was ready! Really, 3 hours top clean 1 room! No call to let us know it was ready. No internet password given to us, no dog bowl for the dog, no apologies!!
The next morning we called house keeping and asked if they could clean the room as we were taking the dog out for a walk. We returned 2:45 minutes later and the room was still not done.
Having said this, the rest of the staff (valet, bar, pool, spa and others) were excellent. They were polite, went out of their way to help and make your stay nice.
This hotel is pet friendly, this is a big point in its favor.
Next time we will look for somewhere else. This is sad as the hotel has a great location.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Khaja
CharlestonPlace, General Manager at Belmond Charleston Place, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Khaja,

While we are disappointed that there were aspects of your stay that you were unhappy with, we do appreciate your feedback as we read all of these reviews to better our guests’ experience. I’m sorry that you did not receive a call during check-in from our Front Desk but am glad that overall the staff was friendly and accommodating during your stay.

Paul Stracey
Belmond Charleston Place

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (605)
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

I loved every minute of it -- even if the food was very, very expensive. This establishment knows how to "do hotel right". First of all, the lobby is fabulous, the rooms are spacious and tastefully furnished. Room service is delivered very promptly and with finesse. Everything in the room worked right; nothing leaked, squeaked, or smelled weird and the bed was super comfortable. The concierge is well informed and helpful. Car service was easy to secure. Popular sightseeing is within walking distance. A couple of days after I checked out to join a group staying in another hotel, I returned to Charleston Place for lunch, one of the servers remembered me and supposed I was still staying at the hotel. This is a very friendly place. On my list of "very important hotels", this one is now tied for #1, with the Williamsburg Inn.

Room Tip: Everything there is very good.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank TirzahRuth
Morris County, New Jersey
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 3,314 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

We enjoyed our stay here, if only for one night. The location is perfect and we were looking forward to our stay. We knew that the hotel was undergoing construction, but I was assured prior to our arrival that our room would be far away from it. Just walking through the grand lobby when we arrived, we felt that we indeed chose well. We were warmly greeted and the check in was very smooth and pleasant. Without me having to say anything I was told that the room on the 6th floor is away from any construction and it was.
The room was lovely with the rich silk draperies and the french doors opening on to a small balcony. The light grey paint on the walls was so soothing, that I am tempted to have our bedroom repainted. I was reminded of a similar room we stayed in Paris couple of years ago. The white marble bathroom looked brand new and had all the amenities you would expect in a luxury hotel.
Strangely, I did not get hot water in the shower early in the morning, but my husband enjoyed a nice hot shower just an hour later. We did not have enough time to see everything that the hotel has to offer, no time for pool or spa, but we had a great dinner in the hotel's Charleston Grille restaurant and a breakfast in the Palmetto Cafe- both first class. We also received a complimentary fruit and cheese platter and a bottle of wine and felt truly pampered.
But was our stay perfect? Well, almost! There was a small "glitch", probably due to the renovations. Because we travel extensively all over the world we know from experience that things seldom are perfect. However it is my opinion, that how the situation is handled by management is what counts the most in the end. We were very happy with the hotel's response!
Charleston is a city with a lot of history and lot of charm. We spent our afternoon browsing through the art galleries nearby and just walking on the King street. The old Europe feel, that we love so much will draw us back. We are definitely thinking of returning and spending more time here next year..

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Wenovo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

This was my first time visiting Charleston, and I plan to visit again. I would definitely stay at the Charleston Place hotel again. Wonderful hotel, comfortable, clean, centrally located, and beautiful! Concierge could not be better and more helpful. They helped us book a city walking tour and plantation visit that were both fantastic. Hotel has a great breakfast and bar as well.

If there was one slight negative, it would be that unlike the reception and concierge and everyone else at the hotel, the hotel manager was not welcoming (my booking allowed for a complimentary upgrade, and the manager flatly/rudely rejected the request - completely ok that it wasn't available, but he could have been more polite about it). Still a 5 star overall review, though.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank USTraveler121
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

We booked last minute through American Express Platimum Card. Having stayed at the Planter's Inn across the street, we knew the location was perfect. Our travel agent assured us the upgrades would be phenomenal & they were!

We were given a complimentary upgrade to a concierge level floor. The room was spacious & clean, well appointed. The concierge level gave us access to complimentary wine and top shelf cocktails, great assorted appetizers that made a big dinner almost unnessary, if you weren't in such a great dine out city, unnecessary. They even put out a huge dessert buffet on your return, should you possibly still have some room!

We were also given a $100 credit to use in any of the restaurants or bars. As we had booked a package that included breakfast, we opted to have lunch which was very good, as was breakfast in both the dining room (ala carte or a great buffet) and the concierge level room (buffet only).

I want to mention that service throughout the hotel was perfect from valet service, to check out.

The gym and indoor pool are very nice amenities, and they also have a spa which we didn't have time for, but will next time as we'll Definately be back!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lcquinn
Charleston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

My wife and I wanted to get away to give ourselves a second honeymoon after our first one was such a disaster with a cruise and a lot frustration with the airline industry as a whole. We booked a few days here and we couldn't have imagined a better experience. Perfect location to walk everywhere in town, the Charleston Grill might be one of the best meals we've had, and the staff and accommodations couldn't have been better. (If available get the inclusive rooms on the club levels 7&8 well well worth it)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

I want to be very fair here. Just in case I have petty complaints I should say that most people would probably love this place! I hesitate to share my full opinion because "maybe it was just me...", but then again maybe there is someone else out there who might value the same things as I do.
First I want to stress that the property is beautiful and spotless -and the location can't be beat! Everyone I spoke to on staff was courteous and helpful. The spa, indoor pool, hot tub, outdoor sun area were so very nice - and so was the staff in that area. Staff was VERY nice and spa area well-stocked and very clean... Ask for a 4th floor room if you plan to use those facilities much or it might be a good distance away from your room. Honestly, if I hadn't known that my husband's business was paying nearly $500/nt I guess I wouldn't have any negative comments at all - but since I did know that there were a few things I expected a little more from.

No coffee maker in room!
There was a little kiosk for coffee in lobby area but when I walked past it the attendant was always out. A sign on counter said "be right back" or it was not open at all. I like to be able to have coffee when I am getting ready to go out in the mornings, so that didn't start my days off well.

Bathroom counter was so high! I guess that's a luxury kind of thing. For hand-washing it was great but for a short girl to wash my face, since I don't bend at my breasts and didn't have a step stool it didn't add convenience for me.

No tub in room. I would have never thought about asking for that. As I understand now most rooms do not have tubs there. I did a ton of walking while my husband attended class. I would have really liked a room w/a tub. Hotel was "fully committed" so I didn't get one... Oh well...

If I rated the beds/pillows on a 1-10 scale I'd give them a 7. Certainly not a "Heavenly Bed" but it was okay. I asked for a firmer pillow, I think she meant well but forgot.

Not sure what kind of TV service they have but every few minutes it would freeze up and go silent. You'd miss a few seconds of viewing, which was kind of annoying when watching live basketball. No sports bars or other tvs on property. So we had to go down the street to find somewhere to watch the Final Four game.

The room was very formal. Two chairs besides the desk chair. They appeared to be very soft but were very hard w/out padding. I guess that's a European-thing. I rather have a comfy chair than a pretty chair.

One last thing: on the first night every time the AC kicked on it sounded like tennis shoes bouncing in a dryer. I did call about that and two very nice maintenance men came to our room, climbed into the ceiling and did something to quieten it down. They told me it was actually a pretty quiet unit compared to the ones in some of the other rooms. They said we were in one of the more updated rooms. Again, the room really was beautiful, very formal. It's just me I guess because if it were my money paying for the room I would have chosen to save $200/nt and stay somewhere less fancy.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business