“Great Hotel, Great Location, Great Weekend.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Belmond Charleston Place

Belmond Charleston Place
Ranked #15 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Hotel, Great Location, Great Weekend.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Just concluded a wonderful weekend at the Charleston Place. In a nutshell, the hotel is great I was impressed with the service of literally everyone with whom we came in contact. Check-in was a breeze, the guys in the front were great pointing me toward a wine shop and where to take a scenic run. You feel the history at this place and it's a "go big or go home" place to spend the weekend. Location literally could not be more perfect.

Two small issues...First, we were in what was ostensibly a renovated room. The HVAC was simply not good enough. The temperature did not get in the zip code of the "target temperature" selected (yes, I like it cold, but despite selecting 66, it never got below 69). To boot, it got downright hot overnight because the system cycled on and off. The noise of the system switching itself back on was loud enough to wake me up and I don't consider myself a light sleeper.

The TV skipping/pausing/freezing issue is well documented and obviously true. This is a solvable problem by demanding solution from their provider to selected a new one. That it has lingered on suggests that management is not placing sufficient effort on resolving it which is disappointing.

Negatives aside, I would return without thinking twice. The place looked and felt "Charleston," which is about all one can ask for a weekend crashpad.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (605)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Not long ago I wrote a review about the French Quarter Inn calling it the best hotel in Charleston, SC. I now freely admit that I spoke too soon. Having now stayed and dined at Charleston Place as well, I believe that Belmond Charleston Place is the true #1 hotel in Charleston. There are a number of reasons. To begin, the rooms at each hotel are comparable. And while the evening "tea" at the FQ-Inn is wonderful, that is all there is. At CP however, start with a fabulous SPA with a large rooftop salt water pool and a comfortable sun deck and the FQ Inn is unable to compete at this level. Charleston Grill also gives CP the nod over the restaurant at the FQ Inn. But these are hardly the only reasons. FQ Inn is a "victim" of its own success. You just can't get a room there and if you are "lucky" enough to get one, the price simply does not justify what you get for the dollar (a nice room and a tea). Bottom line: you get more for less at Charleston Place.

CP is clearly the winner in this 2 horse race. However, if you are more comfortable with a quiet sedentary stay while you are in Charleston, choose the FQ Inn. But if you prefer a more vibrant atmosphere; if you are under the age of 90 or young at heart, CP is the place to be.

Upstate New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Charleston Place is a great hotel. It is luxurious and accommodating. The location couldn't be better right in the middle of the city. The room size was perfect, the bathrooms are spacious with a beautiful roomy, double spray head shower. Beds were very comfortable. Not a lot of down sides, the bar is nice but very small and right in the middle of the lobby. The staff was fair, we had a few lukewarm encounters, otherwise very good. I would stay here again without hesitation.

Bonita Springs, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

Charleston is a very lovely city. Charleston Place is within walking distance to shops, restaurants, the market and all types of activities. The hotel is going through some remodeling but they are doing it correctly a few rooms on a floor at a time. No noise at all during our stay and the new rooms are beautiful! Great food, and great people! Southern Hospitality

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Everett, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a couple of nights this week on a business trip. I would say the lobby is lovely and the front desk staff in the afternoons/evenings were very friendly and helpful. The location is great. The early morning front desk gal was a bit rude and was clearly irritated that I was asking for change for a 20 so I could tip the valet. She disappeared for quite some time and eventually a man came out with my change. It was very strange. As for my room, I am a frequent business traveler and I would say 99% of the rooms at this price point have a refrigerator and coffee maker in room. This room did not, as a traveller with special dietary needs this is vital. To add insult, I found out after checkout that my colleague who also needed a refrigerator received one at no charge and I was charged for mine. The sheets on the bed were inside out and the bathroom fixtures are very old and show some corrosion. Although these are what many would consider minor details, at the nightly rates of these rooms I expect these details to be covered. There were cobwebs on the bed table lamp and the floor under the table in the entry was very dirty. The housekeeping department I would classify as sub par. The WIFI was spotty at best and I am glad I did not need to rely on it. If I had I would have had to address the issue with the front desk. I noticed in many other reviews the manager frequently responds to the reviewer that they should have complained to the desk and then the problems stated would have been resolved. I take issue with this in this sense: travelers do not want to complain to the front desk to have problems resolved, travelers simply do not want to experience these problems at all. I also experienced the TV frequently freezing on the local stations (I was trying to get the local news and weather) and it appears to me the wifi, tv and other technical problems are not a one time or infrequent issue but ongoing issues that should be addressed and fixed by this hotel. The TV in the room was TINY. I would say my stay was mediocre but not terrible. Next time I am in Charleston it is likely I will try out a different location, I cannot imagine this is the best Charleston has to offer.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank spiderterp
Foster City, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

Such a perfect location and hotel . The 8th floor is the best with all the special touches . This is truly the place you want to stay from the gorgeous pool small but good gym to the spa . My husband loved the breakfast every morning in the grill . Could not have happier!!!!

Room Tip: Get the 7th or 8th for the special breakfast, cocktails and evening desserts
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Debbie L
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

I'll start with the bad because most of the good is covered in previous reviews. As noted in title - Stay away from room #358. This room and maybe 357 shouldn't be rented out. When you look across the the hall you will not see any rooms. That is because on the other side of the wall is the hotels in house laundry machines. From 8am until 10pm (actually during our stay until 10:20pm after complaining to front desk each night) you will hear a jackhammer noise when the washer or dryer or whatever machine is running. We had to increase the volume by 1/3 to hear the TV.
The TV cable is a problem. They use an out of city cable company (swisscom?). There was a power surge on day of our arrival and the cable was out until the next day. To the hotel's credit, the front desk told me to rent a movie at no charge. When watching the HD channels (ABC,NBC,CBS,etc.) every 3 minutes the TV would freeze for 4 seconds (yes, it was so annoying I decided to time it numerous times) and you'd miss that 4 seconds. Their Engineers tried resetting the TV 2 different times (day 2 & 3), then admitted the problem was the out of City cable company and the only way to correct it was when the hotel changes to a cable company located in Charleston.
As others have reported there is construction going on every day. During our stay they were on the 4th floor. Very, very, noisy- especially when they were working on room 458. The workers one night worked until 9:20pm. My call to the front desk got the response - their not supposed to be working after 5pm & they'd have security look into it. My 2nd call to front desk 30 minutes later got almost the exact same response, including having security look into it. I said, why don't you tell security to tell them to stop.
I will blame the manager for the above. They know which rooms are under construction. They should not rent those surrounding rooms(or directly below rooms). If they feel they have no choice, they should at least tell the guest upon check in and at that time offer compensation or transfer to another hotel. On checkout I shared this with the front desk and the front desk person put thru a $100 credit to my bill. While that was appreciated, I was there 6 nights and the last 3 days were a problem. If you are exposed to the construction "zone" more than 1 night you probably won't be happy, especially considering the price you are paying for the inconvenience. Just about every other hotel I've stayed will leave you a note/message the day before if anything is going on by your room. I'm not sure why, as nice as this hotel is, they ignore that the construction is going on when you check in.
I have noticed that the hotel manager reads these reviews and responds, so I'd recommend that he sleep and watch TV for 2 consecutive nights in #358 starting at 8pm.
Having the hotel laundry across the hall also let's you listen to the house keeping staff talking and yelling to each other as they constantly walk by the door. I came out one time and a bald supervisor was chewing out 2 of the staff just outside the door.
Now the GOOD. The hotel location is great. The Vendor market (which goes about 6 blocks deep) is right across the street with hundreds of vendors selling from A-Z. There are lots of great restaurants in the hotel and within the surrounding blocks. For a $10 charge the bicycle taxi is a great way to get around the city ($10 seems to be the flat rate) Also the hotel has a van that for $5 per person took us to the Aquarium, so I guess that would be the charge to/from other locations. The Valet guys called a bicycle taxi for us and he was there in less than 5 minutes. The house keeping staff does a good job …. let me single out "CHARLENE". I leave a gratuity every day. Charlene was the only one to leave a thank you note, which was greatly appreciated!
You may want to call an hour or so before arrival to find out about your room being ready. I called that morning and was told check in is at 4pm and will be available then. When we arrived at 3:50pm I was told it wasn't ready, but they'd put a rush on it and call housekeeping. So, if I'd called at about 2:30, as efficient as the front desk seems, and requested a rush on the room, I believe that accommodation would have been met. It will probably be a year or two before I'm back in Charleston, but I definitely would stay here again….. just not in #358.

Room Tip: Stay away from room #358 or close by. The hotel's in house laundry is across the hall. Very noi...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business