“Upscale Historic Hotel”

Belmond Charleston Place
Ranked #13 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This rating would have been excellent except that the air conditioning in our first room on the second floor did not work. Staff quickly shifted us to the fourth floor and a room which had recently been renovated, where the ac worked to perfection. Our recently renovated room on the 4th floor was attractively furnished and quite roomy and while room renovations continue in the hotel, the level of impact to those staying appears to be quite limited.

Location is all important and the Charleston Place Hotel is located in the center of the historic downtown.

The pool and fitness areas are top notch and we enjoyed an opportunity to relax in the pool each afternoon during our visit.

Overall the staff were very attentive and thus service was excellent.

Our only complaint is that the ground floor is connected to a shopping area with several upscale stores - this tends to draw people through the hotel lobby and they stroll along on their shopping adventures - as a result traffic thru the lobby is heavier than it may be at some other downtown hotels. All in all, this didn't adversely affect our enjoyment of the facilities or our visit to Charleston - and we strongly recommend the Charleston Place Hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which has been renovated - I'd suggest those on 3 and higher.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,310)

Reviewed 14 June 2014

I was fortunate to return to the Charleston Place Hotel as a guest during a business conference last week. This was my third trip to this hotel in the last 4 years and the only time I had any problem during my stay. I am an early riser, and a smoker. Since there are only a few areas on the grounds that one can smoke, I was naturally limited in my choices, and the second floor terrace is one of those places, I rose at 3:30 am, left my wife sleeping and grabbed my laptop to read the news and get some work done. I was disappointed to discover there were no tables or chairs on the terrace, so I went to the main desk and inquired if there were anywhere I could sit outdoors and use my laptop and have some coffee. I was told, in no uncertain terms that there were NOT any areas that could accommodate me. I asked if a small table and a chair could be set up on the terrace and was again told no. I pressed the night clerk (David I think) for help and was met with a callous and borderline rude response. I asked another night clerk for help and received the same treatment.

Fortunately, there were a couple of banquet tables set up on the 2nd floor lobby so I dragged one out onto the terrace, grabbed a chair and had some coffee delivered from room service. I was assisted by a delightful 2nd floor cleaning staff who was obviously unaware of how guests were to be treated at night.

Later that day I visited the hotel manager, Paul Stracy, and told him of my adventure. He was appalled at the treatment I received and promised me the rest of my stay would be different. He was good for his word. The following AM, there was a table and chairs set up on the terrace, my morning coffee was free, and the staff even threw in a croissant.

I must heap high praise on the Bell Staff. The manager Lewis ran a crack team of bellmen and valets who were Johnny-on-the-spot at every turn. I was treated extremely well by every other hotel staff I encountered and the balance of my stay was worthy of the 5 star rating that accompanies this review.

Major kudos to Paul Stracy and his excellent customer service! I would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Nathan S
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We spent six nights at Charleston Place for a company retreat. The rooms were very elegant and the service from planning the event, to the meetings, to housekeeping, food service, pool staff and valets was outstanding. Location is great within walking distance of everything. Definitely hope to stay her again. Very upscale and detail oriented.

Room Tip: Did not see any bad rooms at the hotel. All of our group was impressed with their rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Deb G
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Location is perfect , concierge floor offers an amazing happy hour, desserts & breakfast in an upscale atmosphere . If you stay it's worth the splurge.
Short walk to market and most Charleston tourist spots .

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We spent three luxurious nights at Charleston Place and while very pricy worth every penny. We asked for and got a newly renovated room that looked out over the court yard. Every detail of the room was elegant and rich. The service was outstanding - the location couldn't be beat - they even made parking easy. We had a package that included breakfast and a dinner at the grill. Glad we did.

Room Tip: We didn't pay extra for the Club Level. When we checked in we asked for a renovated room on the...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

First, it is a beautiful hotel. When you walk in the lobby, everyone is so nice. The rooms are pretty and big and very very comfortable. The pool is great for a swim too. The hotel is located in a great area where a lot of stores and restaurants are in a walking distance. Overall this is a great hotel!

Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Charleston Place is in an excellent location that definitely can not be beat. The customer service from the bellmen , front desk and spa were all top notch. Everyone we encountered was very friendly and helpful. We booked a room on the club level which is definitely a nice perk. I was disappointed that we were not in a renovated room considering the price but it was still comfortable and clean. I guess you need to ask for that ahead of time. I was under the impression from reviews here that the club levels were already renovated but I guess they haven't finished that yet. The pool area was nice and they have tons of shopping right there. I had a massage at the spa and it was fantastic. Being able to walk out of the hotel and be right in the middle of everything was perfect. I do think its a bit overpriced but most of the hotels in downtown seem to be. We would definitely return to Charleston Place.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room and splurge for the club level
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple