3,524 results
All reviewsclub levelpalmetto cafethoroughbred clubretractable roofbeautiful hotelroom serviceluxury hotelsouthern charmjunior suiterooftop poolbell staffking streetturn down servicethe concierge levelfitness centerheart of downtownbottle of champagne
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Belmond Charleston Place is in the perfect location for exploring Charleston. No need for a car if you stay here, unless you want to rent one to go to the beaches or drive out to visit a plantation. They have a terrific restaurant, Charleston Grill, where we went for our anniversary, and although there is no shortage of great food in Charleston, this was up in the top and had the best service. There is a lovely rooftop pool, but one complaint was that there was not enough service there--no one clearing wet towels from chairs, etc. There's a nice vibe about the place, which has a lot of kids (and pets!) as well as couples and business travelers.

Room Tip: Our first room had two beds (we wanted one), our second room looked out on a roof of air conditioners, but our third was a winner- one bed and a lovely view of the garden patio.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This rating would have been excellent except that the air conditioning in our first room on the second floor did not work. Staff quickly shifted us to the fourth floor and a room which had recently been renovated, where the ac worked to perfection. Our recently renovated room on the 4th floor was attractively furnished and quite roomy and while room renovations continue in the hotel, the level of impact to those staying appears to be quite limited.

Location is all important and the Charleston Place Hotel is located in the center of the historic downtown.

The pool and fitness areas are top notch and we enjoyed an opportunity to relax in the pool each afternoon during our visit.

Overall the staff were very attentive and thus service was excellent.

Our only complaint is that the ground floor is connected to a shopping area with several upscale stores - this tends to draw people through the hotel lobby and they stroll along on their shopping adventures - as a result traffic thru the lobby is heavier than it may be at some other downtown hotels. All in all, this didn't adversely affect our enjoyment of the facilities or our visit to Charleston - and we strongly recommend the Charleston Place Hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which has been renovated - I'd suggest those on 3 and higher.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I was fortunate to return to the Charleston Place Hotel as a guest during a business conference last week. This was my third trip to this hotel in the last 4 years and the only time I had any problem during my stay. I am an early riser, and a smoker. Since there are only a few areas on the grounds that one can smoke, I was naturally limited in my choices, and the second floor terrace is one of those places, I rose at 3:30 am, left my wife sleeping and grabbed my laptop to read the news and get some work done. I was disappointed to discover there were no tables or chairs on the terrace, so I went to the main desk and inquired if there were anywhere I could sit outdoors and use my laptop and have some coffee. I was told, in no uncertain terms that there were NOT any areas that could accommodate me. I asked if a small table and a chair could be set up on the terrace and was again told no. I pressed the night clerk (David I think) for help and was met with a callous and borderline rude response. I asked another night clerk for help and received the same treatment.

Fortunately, there were a couple of banquet tables set up on the 2nd floor lobby so I dragged one out onto the terrace, grabbed a chair and had some coffee delivered from room service. I was assisted by a delightful 2nd floor cleaning staff who was obviously unaware of how guests were to be treated at night.

Later that day I visited the hotel manager, Paul Stracy, and told him of my adventure. He was appalled at the treatment I received and promised me the rest of my stay would be different. He was good for his word. The following AM, there was a table and chairs set up on the terrace, my morning coffee was free, and the staff even threw in a croissant.

I must heap high praise on the Bell Staff. The manager Lewis ran a crack team of bellmen and valets who were Johnny-on-the-spot at every turn. I was treated extremely well by every other hotel staff I encountered and the balance of my stay was worthy of the 5 star rating that accompanies this review.

Major kudos to Paul Stracy and his excellent customer service! I would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Nathan S
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We spent six nights at Charleston Place for a company retreat. The rooms were very elegant and the service from planning the event, to the meetings, to housekeeping, food service, pool staff and valets was outstanding. Location is great within walking distance of everything. Definitely hope to stay her again. Very upscale and detail oriented.

Room Tip: Did not see any bad rooms at the hotel. All of our group was impressed with their rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Deb G
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Location is perfect , concierge floor offers an amazing happy hour, desserts & breakfast in an upscale atmosphere . If you stay it's worth the splurge.
Short walk to market and most Charleston tourist spots .

• Stayed: February 2014