“Great Place! Great Service!”

Belmond Charleston Place
Ranked #13 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Just returned from a great long weekend in Charleston-a surprise from my husband! We had 3 rooms; our adult children came with us! The rooms were beautiful, comfortable and well accomodated! Charleston Place is close to EVERYTHING! It is in a great location!

Room Tip: Our room was pretty close to the elevator-although no rooms were directly adjacent to elevators. If...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank AlgernonofChrisKay

Reviewed 18 June 2014

The Charleston Place definitely lived up to its hype. Located in the very heart of downtown Charleston, in the historic district and within walking distance of most everything, we never got back into our car until we left! Upon check-in for a 2 night stay (6/7-8/2014) we did have a few issues with our room but they were quickly resolved. We had another issue the following morning due to a "training" error which happens....neither issue was a big deal and resolved with an I'm sorry and a smile. Our room was lovely and had a small walk out balcony (which VERY FEW rooms have). I have attached pictures. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was roomy with everything provided incase you forgot something. I loved how at turndown at night they turned the TV to a soft music station. Was nice to return too. On the downside; The air conditioners really don't cool to the temperature stated in the room, we just assumed they had a cap on what you could set it too. When it did run it was LOUD. Unfortunate for such a high class hotel. Also, They didn't offer anything complimentary which I feel they should for the price of the rooms, even a glass of wine at the hotel bar would be something they should consider. We didn't eat at The Charleston Grill, which has received wonderful reviews, as we felt the Menu was more fitting for us elsewhere. (Circa 1886 & Poogan's Porch :-))
In the morning if you want a quick cup of coffee and a Danish or piece of fruit they have a small Barista set up that is only open for a short time. Perfect to take the edge off until lunch (The Griffon!! It is a MUST).
The hotel is beautiful with a perfect location, very pricey but the location makes up for that cha-ching sting.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony....it was NOT an additional charge.
1  Thank Carolyn P
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The Belomond Charleston Place is a wonderful hotel. We had a great experience there while in town for a wedding. The accommodations, staff, restaurants and locations are all perfect. Centrally located and within walking distance of nearly everything, this hotel provides everything you need for a comfortable and relaxing stay while enjoying Charleston.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We just got back from Charleston Place where we were treated to a quadruple upgrade by the lovely girl who checked us in. We were put on the 8th floor, Club Level. The food and service were incomparable to many a concierge level on which I have stayed prior. The hotel is beautiful and the lobby is breathtaking. The rooms are average size, and the air conditioning was adequate. I had to ask for a fan to augment. The hotel is centrally located within walking distance from many fine restaurants, and tons of shopping. I found all but the housekeeping staff to be very attentive, most specifically in the evening. My husband was told that turn down service was available until 10pm, which was perfect for us considering that we like late dinners. Day 1, no one showed up to turn down the room. Day 2, the room was turned down, but no dirty glasses etc were removed, and day 3 someone showed up at 6:45pm. When we asked them to return at 9, we were told that they only had 2 rooms left to do and that they were leaving for the evening. Other than that criticism, I would highly recommend a stay at Charleston Place. You would be hard pressed to find such a convenient and grand hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a renovated room
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Belmond Charleston Place is in the perfect location for exploring Charleston. No need for a car if you stay here, unless you want to rent one to go to the beaches or drive out to visit a plantation. They have a terrific restaurant, Charleston Grill, where we went for our anniversary, and although there is no shortage of great food in Charleston, this was up in the top and had the best service. There is a lovely rooftop pool, but one complaint was that there was not enough service there--no one clearing wet towels from chairs, etc. There's a nice vibe about the place, which has a lot of kids (and pets!) as well as couples and business travelers.

Room Tip: Our first room had two beds (we wanted one), our second room looked out on a roof of air conditioner...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This rating would have been excellent except that the air conditioning in our first room on the second floor did not work. Staff quickly shifted us to the fourth floor and a room which had recently been renovated, where the ac worked to perfection. Our recently renovated room on the 4th floor was attractively furnished and quite roomy and while room renovations continue in the hotel, the level of impact to those staying appears to be quite limited.

Location is all important and the Charleston Place Hotel is located in the center of the historic downtown.

The pool and fitness areas are top notch and we enjoyed an opportunity to relax in the pool each afternoon during our visit.

Overall the staff were very attentive and thus service was excellent.

Our only complaint is that the ground floor is connected to a shopping area with several upscale stores - this tends to draw people through the hotel lobby and they stroll along on their shopping adventures - as a result traffic thru the lobby is heavier than it may be at some other downtown hotels. All in all, this didn't adversely affect our enjoyment of the facilities or our visit to Charleston - and we strongly recommend the Charleston Place Hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which has been renovated - I'd suggest those on 3 and higher.
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I was fortunate to return to the Charleston Place Hotel as a guest during a business conference last week. This was my third trip to this hotel in the last 4 years and the only time I had any problem during my stay. I am an early riser, and a smoker. Since there are only a few areas on the grounds that one can smoke, I was naturally limited in my choices, and the second floor terrace is one of those places, I rose at 3:30 am, left my wife sleeping and grabbed my laptop to read the news and get some work done. I was disappointed to discover there were no tables or chairs on the terrace, so I went to the main desk and inquired if there were anywhere I could sit outdoors and use my laptop and have some coffee. I was told, in no uncertain terms that there were NOT any areas that could accommodate me. I asked if a small table and a chair could be set up on the terrace and was again told no. I pressed the night clerk (David I think) for help and was met with a callous and borderline rude response. I asked another night clerk for help and received the same treatment.

Fortunately, there were a couple of banquet tables set up on the 2nd floor lobby so I dragged one out onto the terrace, grabbed a chair and had some coffee delivered from room service. I was assisted by a delightful 2nd floor cleaning staff who was obviously unaware of how guests were to be treated at night.

Later that day I visited the hotel manager, Paul Stracy, and told him of my adventure. He was appalled at the treatment I received and promised me the rest of my stay would be different. He was good for his word. The following AM, there was a table and chairs set up on the terrace, my morning coffee was free, and the staff even threw in a croissant.

I must heap high praise on the Bell Staff. The manager Lewis ran a crack team of bellmen and valets who were Johnny-on-the-spot at every turn. I was treated extremely well by every other hotel staff I encountered and the balance of my stay was worthy of the 5 star rating that accompanies this review.

Major kudos to Paul Stracy and his excellent customer service! I would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business