Belmond Charleston Place
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel(Charleston)(Great Value!)
US$284
  • Restaurant
King Charles Inn(Charleston)(Great Value!)
US$353
US$341
US$409
  • Breakfast included
US$284
Town & Country Inn and Suites(Charleston)(Great Value!)
US$147
US$249
US$224
Doubletree.com
  • Restaurant
Sleep Inn Charleston(Charleston)(Great Value!)
US$138
SleepInn
Francis Marion Hotel(Charleston)(Great Value!)
US$270
US$261
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express Charleston(Charleston)(Great Value!)
US$141
US$124
3,378 results
All reviewsclub levelpalmetto cafethoroughbred clubretractable roofbeautiful hotelrenovated roomroom serviceluxury hotelsouthern charmjunior suiterooftop poolking streetbell staffthe concierge levelturn down servicefitness centerheart of downtown
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 July 2014

What a beautiful resort, right in the middle of Charleston. There is a feel to the place, that is very charming and welcoming. The front desk, bellman and staff were very professional. Being in the hospitality industry I know what to look for, and they were all excellent. Our dinner in the Charleston Grille was above par. The servers were taking care of us from the minute we sat down. Not to mention, the food was outstanding. The only problem I had, was we were not there long enough.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This was my second stay at this hotel and I would do it again in a skinny minute! Beautiful hotel, superb location, great service! The club level amenities a lucky addition to our stay. The room was beautiful, clean, and had luxurious toiletries with the l'occetane verbena shampoo,conditioner, lotion, and body wash! The bed super comfy. The staff was attentive, and accommodating. Expensive but worth it for that perfect getaway!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I went to Charleston Place with the highest hopes, as is it been recommended to me by someone whose taste I trust but who admittedly had not been there in a few years. We were in town for a few days and were very much looking forward to our visit.

What surprised me most was upon entering the main lobby was it felt like a glorified slightly upper scale convention/resort center,and indeed there was some kind of the convention going on as there were many groups In the large lobby. The lobby is very big with this dual staircase in the center and a huge chandelier it felt a little dark and somewhat dated to me.....did not feel like it was sparkling and clean.

Upon going to the room, we noticed immediately the buckling of the carpet in the hallways, a grill off the radiator that revealed some chipped paint. At first glance the room was pretty, traditional and appealing but on closer inspection, it was run down.

The worst thing was that there was black mold in the shower, chipped paint, chipped floors, duct tape over the remote for the TV. It wasn't very cold despite turning the AC to 65.....it was not a good start.

This WAS MOST CERTAINLY NOT a 5 star hotel, not even really a 3 in my book. I have been fortunate to stay in many 5 stars all over the world and this does not even come close. We went for dinner and returned to see the turndown service which is possibly the worst I have ever encountered. The sheet were really wrinkled and it was so sloppy I had to take a picture. The beds were comfy enough and down pillows were not even on the bed..5 star???? I think not. I had to call housekeeping for them.

Next day we checked out early and went elsewhere. Had breakfast in the Palmetto Cafe which was actually really really good. Horrible overhead almost florescent lighting but fantastic breakfast.

Called and spoke to the general manager who to his credit was quite apologetic and very kind to refund me for my stay. He went on to tell me that they are in the middle of a huge renovation and that the rooms are nothing short of spectacular, which I am sure they are. However that does not excuse some of the gripes I had and even during a major renovation rooms that are in that poor condition should not be reserved as they are a very poor reflection of the hotel. The location is excellent, service was very friendly and I would possibly give it a second chance once the entire renovation is complete though it is hard to hold a candle next to The stately immaculate Planters Inn.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank fabfinds
CharlestonPlace, General Manager at Belmond Charleston Place, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear FabFinds,

We are sorry to hear your stay was not what you expected. It does sound like we were able to resolve the issue after your visit. We hope you do give us another try next time you are in town and that you choose to stay in the newly redesigned Premier rooms. Thank you for your feedback.

Paul Stracey
Charleston Place Hotel

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We brought our two dogs for a short weekend visit to Charleston. We selected the Belmond for its location and reported elegance and we were not disappointed. Our stay got off to a shaky start when our suite was not quite ready as the bellman opened the door, but we were given a bigger suite on a higher floor and a free drink & appetizer voucher for our inconvenience. The new suite was very spacious and nicely appointed. It did contain the ugliest club chairs and a noises fancoil unit over the kitchen ceiling but that did not detract from the overall feel of the suite. All the creature comforts were there and the staff brought up some complimentary chocolate covered strawberries & some treats for our dogs. We enjoyed the easy walk to restaurants & entertainment venues and the friendly service by all the hotel staff. We had breakfast in our room on check out day and it was prompt and quite tasty. We will definitely be back.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Brought my daughter for College Orientation. The hotel was first class. I wish we had more time to enjoy all the wonderful ammenities. The pool was very inviting, but didn't bring a swim suit, but will on next visit. I will make this my go-to hotel since I will be visiting my daughter often over the next four years.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel