“Spectacular Hotel with Great Amenities”

Ranked #13 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My husband and I had a wonderful stay in one of the recently renovated rooms at this beautiful hotel and it was terrific! The service was excellent -- from the housekeeping staff to the servers in the Throughbred Club (bar) and the Palmetto Cafe and even the staff in the many lovely boutiques on the main floor. The spa and fitness center were incredible -- complete with a glass ceiling that is opened during the day for full sunlight over the pool and a convenient snack bar with a limited but tasty menu. The location can't be beat and puts you right in the middle of everything with easy access to the museums, shopping on King Street, the waterfront (and the great harbor tours) and tons of restaurants. Don't miss this one!

Room Tip: The only problem we encountered were paper-thin connecting doors with the adjacent rooms. We heard E...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
CharlestonPlace, General Manager at Belmond Charleston Place, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Cheongsam,

Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff, amenities, and centralized location. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in one of our recently redesigned rooms and that you also had the opportunity to dine with us at both the Thoroughbred Club and The Palmetto Cafe. Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back again soon!

Belmond Charleston Place

Write a ReviewReviews (3,307)

Reviewed 3 August 2014

The hotel is beautiful and the staff very friendly and helpful but it is very expensive. Little bottles of water in the room refrigerator were $4.50 if you did not plan and purchase snacks and drinks outside of the hotel you were at the mercy of their very over priced snacks and drinks.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Melissa J,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at Belmond Charleston Place. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the majority of your stay and appreciate your kind words regarding hotel as well as our staff. We are sorry you found our mini bar to be expensive, but we appreciate your feedback as we use all of these reviews to better our guests’ experience. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

When I am in Charleston for business, Charleston Place is my home away from home. Long business hours make coming back after a long day? It is the Staff and 5-star service here that greets you and make everything special. Traveling here as a tourist? Charleston Place is right in the historical district to venture out on foot, bike taxi or carriage through the Holy City. Charleston Grille offers the best cuisine also. The rooms have been remodeled, well appointed and a turn down service. If there is availability for me to stay here, I feel blessed. Enjoy your stay here and thank the staff for everything they do for you.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear PebblesCalifornia,

Thank you for being such a loyal customer! We are delighted to hear that you enjoy staying with us and truly appreciate the kind words you have to stay about our staff, as we strive to provide the best customer service possible for our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back to Charleston again soon.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I really enjoyed my experience at this hotel. The staff was wonderful and very accommodating. After reading the other review I asked a renovated room and the front desk went out of their way to accommodate me. I actually stayed on a floor that they were actually finishing up renovations. Never once was I disturbed by the noise. If you stay at this hotel request a room facing King street, to me that is one of the best views of Charleston. Also this hotel is in an excellent location to walk around downtown Charleston. If I go back to Charleston I have to stay at this hotel. This is a must!!!!!!

Room Tip: High rooms have less outside noise and have a great view of the City. Get a room over looking King...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear vacationjunky2,

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us in one of our recently redesigned rooms. We truly appreciate your nice review regarding our staff, as we all always try to be as helpful and accommodating as possible for our guests. Thank you for your review and we hope that you will choose to come back and see us soon!

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I really have mainly nice things to say about Charleston Place. The staff was very helpful and courteous. Everyone that we passed in the hallways said, "Good morning" or "hello" and there was just an overall very warm feeling between guests and staff. The only reason I could not give five stars was because, for some reason, there was maintenance work going on at very odd hours of the day. 8:30 a.m. hardly seems like the time to be making a lot of noise in the hall fixing something. This morning at 9:00 a.m., there was some drilling going on in the room either next to or below me (I couldn't tell because it was SO loud). I was up but if I had been trying to sleep in, my efforts would have been thwarted. The only other small issue I had was that turn-down service was pretty late- around 9:30 or 10:00 p.m. If you're going to get up early, you need to go to bed early (or at least get into bed early). Knocking on the door at 10:00 p.m. was not something that I really appreciated (although I did appreciate the water bottles, so I never put the do not disturb out).

If you're up early and want a really nice hotel, check out Charleston Place.

Room Tip: My room was literally RIGHT next to the pool. If you're looking for a quieter room, ask NOT to...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Lynn M,

Thank you for your review of Belmond Charleston Place. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the majority of your stay and had a good experience with our staff as we do pride ourselves on having accommodating and friendly staff! We are sorry to hear that there were interruptions during your time with us, and appreciate your feedback as we use it to better our guests’ experience. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future as we work to make each visit better than the last.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Really nice hotel. Clean, classy and comfortable. Only disappointment was with the spa. The services are way overpriced for the quality. Other than that, helpful & friendly staff. Great location. Would definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Wonderful hotel for a convention. Excellent service and location. The staff is one of the best I have ever worked with, I can't wait for the actual convention to take place. This hotel has everything travelers are looking for.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Dear Christina J,

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your kind words, as we always do our best to provide excellent customer service and assist in ensuring that business trips run smoothly. Thank you for your review and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!