“Good, but resting on its laurels.”

Ranked #13 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
“Good, but resting on its laurels.”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

First, let me see this is a nice hotel. It is in the heart of Charleston and walking distance to all restaurants, shops, sites etc. so it is a nice hotel in a great location. The hotel has been recently renovated and the rooms are bright and well appointed with lush fabrics and furnishings. However, some of the hotel staff is a little lax --- upon my arrival when I got out of my car the bellman asked if he could help me with my bag, I said no that I was good. He immediately walked away presumably because he was not going to get a tip. There are 2 entrances as you drive up so I was not sure where to walk into and was not guided or offered assistance to where I should go. I chose an entrance that put me near the restaurants not the front desk -- not a big deal but a little help would have been appreciated. The front desk staff was efficient, but I expected more southern hospitality being in Charleston and at a "grande dame" hotel. The housekeepers were also extremely loud, as they worked on rooms they yelled to one another down the hall. The person working directly outside of our room left their cell phone on the cart and it rang every few minutes and she would take the call in the hallway loud enough for everyone to hear. Really? We traveled with friends and their experience was similar. While this is a nice hotel it could be so much better with a little more attention to the details.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank irishupfl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (636)
east greenwich, rhode island
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Beautiful hotel with lovely charm and grace. Loved the "do not disturb" sign-- an empty grits bag with stones. Hotel is also pet friendly and certain rooms are designated as such. Only draw back is $34 cab ride. Otherwise, great hotel---- only regret is I was only here for 24 hours.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
CharlestonPlace, General Manager at Belmond Charleston Place, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Dear dermgoddess,

Thank you for your review of Belmond Charleston Place. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you will have the opportunity to come back and see us again in the future!

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I stayed there with a company I was working with for a week conference it was so so amazing and the rooms are huge and luxurious! The bathroom my dream! They cater to every want and need and have high tea! The food was amazing and the cocktail hours I cant say enough I cant wait to go sometime just for a vacation! Order the room service tea!!!! it is a ton of kinds, and real china and silver and cakes!!!!! and candles in the marble bath tub!!! Wonderful!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear emj513,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay on business with us at Belmond Charleston Place. Thank you for your kind words regarding our rooms and staff, as we do our best to provide an excellent experience for all of our guests. We hope to welcome you back again in the future!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

What a fabulous stay. Wonderful friendly service all around. Lots of family fun from the beautiful pool terrace to the restaurants. We had a new room that had just been renovated. Even with little ones this is a great hotel. We will definitely be back.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

The first room we had was noisy. Even though construction happens during east coast hours, (9am on) there was a guest with me from California. It was a rough first morning for her with the hammering and pounding. However, the staff fixed the issue. We moved rooms and were allowed to use the free club room - I spoke to a few other guests that had gotten full suite upgrades and a free dinner at the 5 star restaurant. I wish I remembered the lovely woman's name who came to turn down the beds, I think it was Margaret. She couldn't have been nicer and Latasha at the front desk was great as well. This is a beautiful hotel that is coping well with construction issues. I'm happy I stayed there. I will return.

Dear Danielle S,

Thank you for your kind review of Belmond Charleston Place. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the majority of your time with us and that the staff was able to resolve any issues that you might have encountered during your stay. We hope that you will come back and see us again soon so that we can truly exceed your expectations!

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

My family and I just left the Belmond, we were not overly impressed. The rooms were nice, but the shower was very difficult to get in and out of. It was very high! This was in one of the newly renovated premiere rooms. The A/C made so much noise it was difficult to sleep the first night. We told the front desk and they sent up someone to look at it. They said it was fine and all units made tons of noise. Beware! Also we didn't know this hotel allowed dogs. Only after we heard him barking did we find out. Also the lobby could have used a few more chairs to sit in. Had a grand style but needed to be refined a little more.

2 Thank Familytravelguy1
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 20 August 2014

The trip started off right with a room upgrade! The kids loved having a suite!

Miss Bonita at the Palmetto Cafe was just so warm, loving and caring towards us and our children. She gave toys, hugs and special care with sending out food she thought our kids would eat. She also sent milk and cookies to the room. She's just fabulous!

Lenny was also particularly kind and nice to our children. He shared personal anecdotes of his time in the city - things he loves as recommendations for what we could do. really nice man.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Jenny P,

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your say with us. Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff, as we all do our best to provide excellent customer service for all of our guests. We hope to welcome you back to Charleston again soon!