“Average Hotel”

Belmond Charleston Place
Ranked #13 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 5 December 2008

I stayed at the Charleston Place hotel for business. While it is one of the nicer hotels in Charleston, I still think that it is overhyped for what it really is. Service is not spectacular. The rooms are a bit dated. And the food is terrible. Prices were outrageous for parking and other miscellaneous items. The beds were not that comfortable. And, I couldn't get the temperature set correctly. It was either too hot or too cold. On the positive side, the lobby looked beautiful as it was decorated for Christmas. Would I stay here again? No, I would not. It was a decent enough place to stay for business, but had I gone to Charleston for personal reasons, I would not choose this hotel. It is expensive and not worth the money.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (3,334)

Reviewed 23 November 2008

Simply the best hotel in Charleston. My wife and I took a short excursion to the coast, and had the time of our lives. The location was fantastic and the service even better. The Charleston Place does everything right!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2008

I recently recommended the Charleston Place to a colleague as the place to stay in Charleston, who then came across the “crummy convention hotel” review on your site.

I have stayed at the Charleston Place on several occasions over the past 5 years. I have even had the pleasure of staying (at quite a higher cost than listed in the review) in room 4C and 3C which are identical. So, when the review “crummy convention hotel”, was brought to my attention, I was compelled to write a response. The review made me rethink a popular saying to read “you can’t please everyone all of the time, and some people you can’t please any of the time”.

I am in the design field and am very attentive to detail. During my stays at Charleston Place, I have never experienced problems with the rooms or any of the hotel’s amenities. The rooms have always been immaculate and exquisitely appointed.

As far as the “busy feel” of the hotel is concerned, it is a large hotel, which should mean lots of people. But at no time did this interfere with the pleasure of my stay or impede my relaxation. As with a restaurant, if I don’t see people patronizing a service oriented establishment, it usually indicates something is not acceptable. The busy-ness of the hotel should be interpreted as a reflection of the quality of service.

The staff is one of the main reasons I stay at the Charleston Place whenever I am in Charleston. Nowhere else have I experienced a more pleasant, dedicated work force, period! Every staff member that passes by delivers eye contact and a greeting with a smile. This southern warmth is expressed by all levels of staffing and is responsible for my feeling of welcome and care while I am away from home.

I have stayed in luxury hotels around the world and find the Charleston Place to equal or exceed the standards for luxury accommodations.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank noahAnnapolis
Reviewed 7 November 2008

Charleston Place!
Hands down the best place to stay in Charleston. Perfect location because you don't want to be driving around. Amenities were way above average. Pool/spa area were the best! Even had a sauna/steam room in the locker room. The staff there goes completely out of their way to make sure you are pampered and taken care of! Amelia at the hotel was unbelievable

Thanks again!
Jason

Reviewed 30 October 2008

Just had a remarkably miserable stay at the overrated Charleston Place. For a hotel that is supposed to be THE hotel in town, it was a huge let down.
We stayed in Suite 4C which had a great view over the market and is on the extreme s.e. corner of the building.
The room was expensive and down at its heels. We paid $590/night exclusive of tax (and everything else in the world). For this kind of money, you might expect "free" newspapers of your choosing, internet access in the business center, or perhaps a bottle of water". WRONG. All are extras. 95 cents a minute to use a computer. Face value for the newspaper which is apt to show up after you've left the room since it didn't show up until after 8:30 on at least one morning, $2.50 for a bottle of water. Not big expenses, just obscene in light of the cost of the room. Why a hotel of this supposed caliber feels the need to nickel and dime you for everything is beyond me.
The room itself needs refreshing. The air conditioning broke down two days in a row and it was a pain to get it fixed. For some reason or other there are 4 holes around each window. We had 4 windows, so 16 holes. 14 had some kind of plastic insert in them. The other 2 were unfilled and we kept waiting for a rodent to poke its head out. Didn't happen.
The french doors that separate the bedroom and living room must have been re-draped because there are a number of holes around where the drapes are affixed to the door.
The room-despite wrap around windows-was dark. There was a couch in the living room but a floor lamp on only one end of it.
There was a dated TV/DVD/VCR unit in each room. Not high definition. These units were mounted in a bizarre way within armoires that did not have a pull out shelf so viewing was difficult given the configuration of the room.
The bathroom was pleasant enough but could have used lots more lighting.
This is a big hotel with more than 400 rooms. It seems to cater to conventions and not individuals. Each morning there were literally teams of housekeeping crews between you and the elevator bank. Bizarre. The housekeepers were all pleasant and made eye contact and greeted you, but I didn't feel the need to visit with 6 or 7 or 8 people from my front door to the elevator.
Also, the front door didn't latch so one had to pull it closed each time you left the room (which I forgot to do on a couple of occasions). The door into the bathroom was equally difficult to close.
There is a gorgeous swimming pool/jacuzzi set-up. Try to get there before late afternoon or it's overrun by people being released from their meetings.
The lobby was a zoo. With all of the convention business, it felt like navigating through Grand Central Train Station and not a luxury hotel.
In addition to all of this, one night the alarm went off throughout the hotel. An intercom told us to remain calm but they never issued an all clear. I had to call the front desk to determine there wasn't a need to evacuate.
We got caught in a heavy rain one evening and checked out two umbrellas from the concierge. Both were broken which is kind of the way things went with this stay. They opened but could only be closed by using a tie to keep them closed. Not a big deal but yet another hiccup.
All in all, a very expensive hotel that fails to deliver a luxury hotel experience. I'd be hard pressed to recommend this hotel to anyone.

5  Thank hotelfan
Reviewed 18 October 2008

I originally liked the idea of a B&B, but after scouting it out, I wasn't willing to shell out the $300 plus a night. The Charlston Place was around $200 - probably due to the fact it's a big place (400 rooms) so they can afford a bit of a 'discount'

As everyone says, location is great. It was one of those rare occasions where upon arrival, the room really wasn't ready until 3pm or so. They gladly stored our luggage, and we were off for a nice walk of town.

We got a massage, as the hotel indicates it was a 'top hotel spa" by some rating system. It was good, but I wouldn't say it was the best I've ever had.

We enjoyed the lovely murano glass chandalier in the foyer

Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank Service_Sommelier
Reviewed 11 October 2008

Booked my room on the website of WhataHotel - not only did I receive a great rate, but they also delivered to my room a nice bottle of wine and a cheese platter our first night. When we checked into the hotel, the booking agent provided coupon's for breakfast for each day in the Palmetto Cafe as well as an invitation for "high tea".
Our room was a "club level" room with a small balcony. It seemed that everytime we turned around, there was a new offering of food in the lounge...breakfast, small sandwiches in the afternoon, hot appetizers in the evening and unbelieveable desserts at bedtime! The bar was fully stocked and included in the room charge.
The floor also had a private conciegre who was able to make reservations at a moments notice for dinner and attractions!
The room itself was large with an extremely comfortable bed and linens. The towels were large and soft. Internet service was also included at no charge.
The workout facility was nice - take your headphones to tune into the televisions provided or purchase a pair for $2.00
You couldn't ask for a better location in Charleston!
The hotel was magnificent and I would highly recommend!

1  Thank yuswall