“good conference hotel”

Belmond Charleston Place
Ranked #13 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 20 August 2009

I went here for a 3 day workshop. The hotel did a fabulous job with the workshop. We got rooms for $141 a night. The room was very nice - quiet, comfortable, cool, no mildew, which is common in the South. I'd rate the room at least at the 4 star level, but there were a few things that could have been nicer to make it 5 star - the TV was relatively small given today's options. Ditto for the channel lineup. I did not see in room movies. There was no in room coffee nor did they have a larger assortment of drinks. The robe and slippers were a nice touch, especially the two sizes. Health club is fine - although I've seem slightly better ones at regular chains such as Hyatt/Hilton. Pool is not large enough for laps but otherwise nice. It would have been nice to have wifi in the hotel room. One needed an ethernet cable, but it was included in the room price. Room service breakfast was nice but pricy. I had breakfast in the hotel restaurant and it was fabulous. Overall I'd give the service a step above the full service chains such as hyatt/hilton and the rooms roughly comparable to a westin club level, modulo the tv. Also the "minibar" was just a tray of food and soft drinks. No in room wine and no in room coffee. The coffee served at the workshop however was excellent. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank mybusinesstraveller2
There are newer reviews for Belmond Charleston Place

Reviewed 16 August 2009

Room rates at this hotel are similar ot those charged by the Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton and Intercontinental. However, the guest floors, room furniture and bed linens are typical of those found in hotels that charge half the rates imposed by Charleston Place. Our guest room was adequate but veryt tired and in need of an update. Virtually all of the staff encountered by guests (i.e., bell staff, reception and waiters/waitresses) are 20 somethings who seemed less than happy to be providing services. The only smile and true respect we encountered over a two-day period was with our waiter at breakfast. Speaking of breakfast, the dining room food and service were the highlight of the stay. Night security (to quiet down college-age kids partying an a nearby room at 2:00 am) was non-existinent.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
CharlestonPlace, General Manager at Belmond Charleston Place, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2009

As the General Manager of Charleston Place, I was pleased that a recent guest with the user name “jarrett6” took the time to post a review of our property. While I am very appreciative of the positive comments this guest had about his service at breakfast, I was disappointed to read the negative comments.

It seems this guest had some disappointment with his guest room. It is always our intention to overwhelm all of our guests with the luxury and service of Charleston Place. I am sorry we were not able to do so for this particular guest during his stay. As evidenced by the many favorable reviews of our guest rooms, this is not a typical complaint we hear from our guests. We believe our guest rooms are very comfortable and luxurious rooms and are we are constantly refurbishing our hotel to maintain the highest standards of luxury our guests have come to expect at Charleston Place. Regardless, had we known this guest was not satisfied, we would have gladly moved him to a different room. We have several different rooms with different configurations and I am confident we could have satisfied this guest.

Customer Service is very important to us at Charleston Place and every associate in our hotel is empowered to do what is necessary to ensure that all of our guests have a terrific stay. I feel confident that had we known about this guest's disappointment during the stay, we could have corrected the problem before he checked out. I invite him to contact us and give us another chance.

Reviewed 16 August 2009

We live close and frequently travel to Charleston and we always stay downtown but had never stayed at Charleston Place. On this trip we decided to give CP a try and it is now our favorite historic district hotel. The staff and hotel are absolutely terrific! Club level accommodations are terrific. The spa was, as usual, great as was the food in the club, dining room and room service! The only thing that can improve the CP is wireless internet access.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PhoebeSC
Reviewed 14 August 2009

I recently stayed at Charleston Place when in Charleston for business. I have never been to Charleston before and found it really charming and it felt very safe as a lone female traveller.

Having found some great rates online I went with the Charleston Place Club Floor - worth every penny in my opinion. Every time I went back to my room it seemed there was something else going on on the Club Floor - breakfast (with coffee available in takeaway cups if required - ideal when you are rushing to a meeting), afternoon tea, drinks in the evening and even some treats for dessert!

One highlight for me was the Charleston Grill. This is a great restaurant and bar where there was live jazz every night, a great host and a fantastic atmosphere. The food was exceptional as well - try the tuna!

Other high points include the spa, free high speed internet in the rooms and for me the fact you could walk out the doors and be on King Street so time to pop into the shops between meetings! The service as well was great - the renowned Southern hospitality meant everyone was always friendly and tried to use my name and make me feel welcome.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this to anyone - for me a 10/10 hotel!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank NJ22
Reviewed 8 August 2009

This hotel was one of the best hotels I've ever stayed at. I'm from Louisiana and I visit New Orleans about twice a year and compared these two cities. Charleston is an great city , like a souped up New Orleans without the smelly Boubon Street..The hotel, spa, and Charleston Grill were first class.
The location is easy to find wih nearby sites and excellent restaurants. We went to Sullivan's Island which was quaint and beautiful. I want to travel back to Charleston and I will stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank fuseLouisiana
Reviewed 5 August 2009

I was in Charleston to see a relative and a concert in the area. Luckily I was not footing the bill. I was in a double room (2 double beds). The room was great by my standards. The beds were nice and soft. Ahhhh..... bathroom had a double sink vanity with a hairdryer I found powerful enough. The shower head had lots of water pressure. Yay. TV has a DVD AND old school VHS players built in for the folks who want to watch their movies. The armoire also had bathrobe and slippers and even a shoe horn and also an inroom safe that can hold an 8" screen laptop or several Ipods. The desk has a power track on the side for computer needs and there is complimentary WIRED internet service that can be very helpful to someone doing very important business. Best to use versus a cell based aircard. Cell towers are spotty in Downtown Charleston due to heavy historic preservation laws. Room was absolutely clean as a whistle.
Only minor grumble is no fridge or Coffee pot in room. However you can call room service for nice pot of French Press coffee or proper pot of tea.
The pool is a salt pool that does not use harsh chemicals unlike lots of pools that do. Pool area has a retractable roof for year round use. Sadly whirlpool was out of commission. There is also an exercise room and a sauna and a steam room.
Restaurants were great and food was top notch. Just plan on having a huge budget for food. If you have to be on a beer budget, there is a Dunkin' Donuts across the street.
I had the strawberry pancakes and they were out of this world and the 12 oz burger was divine. Its suppose to be like the 21 Club in NYC. YUM! Concierge will know the good restaurants off premise. Service from all the employees was very top notch and I appreciated being called by my last name formally and that is what I call old fashioned service. Would strongly recommend for a formal occasion such as a honeymoon, anniversary etc. etc. If you go, you will be in for a treat.
This is a Pet friendly environment so you can bring Fi Fi and Fido and Tinkerbell with you.
Would gladly return when I can afford to shell out the dough.

• Stayed: August 2009
2  Thank penguinlimo
Reviewed 3 August 2009

My wife and I stayed at Charleston Place for a weekend in late July. Many positives about this hotel - convenient location, very friendly service, several excellent restaurants, and ammenities such as an indoor pool, spa, and gym. We thought it was a good value for what we paid and would definitely stay there again. They were having a summer special which included a $50 food/drink credit for use at the hotel.

My only complaint is that the rooms were a bit small, but it was fine for just the two of us.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple