“Dependable elegance, superior service”

Belmond Charleston Place
Ranked #13 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
NC
“Dependable elegance, superior service”
Reviewed 9 October 2010

Over the years since the Charleston Place first opened we have been MANY times for three day weekends and a few times with our kids for longer visits. This is an excellent hotel; well appointed, professional non intrusive staff in all areas of service to the customer, a fabulous spa, incredible salt water pool, a location in downtown Charleston that allows you to valet park your car and never need it your entire visit while still having world class dining available to you in walking distance and great shopping right outside the door. I heartily recommend the club floor....it really is worth every extra penny! Not to discount the restaurants in the hotel,also excellent, or the fine restaurants in Charleston....you could get enough food and free cocktails, tea, or juice to never leave the two club floors your entire visit! Get the Magnolia salt/sugar scrub in the spa your skin will thank you. We love this place. Home away from home.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (635)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 October 2010

My spouse and I returned to Charleston SC where we'd enjoyed a viist some years ago. We elected to stay at Charleston Place once again based on our first experience (friends advised us the first time). Truly the right decision --- the hotel is great, offering anything you could want. But the staff .... its the staff at this hotel that really knock your socks off. They truly enjoy helping you enjoy your visit and coming to know this wonderful, historic city. We stayed on The Club, the hotel's concierge level, and really enjoyed the lounge there --- always a nice food treat just when you need it. The manager there (Robin) was a delight, always calling us by name and eager to make suggestions. Love the wonderful indoor/outdoor pool! Great loungers on the roof deck.
The Palmetto Cafe on the first floor has a great menu (you'd never guess it was a hotel dining room). Really top notch menu and friendly staff.

The hotel location is central for getting around to historic sights and restaurants. We walked everywhere. Charleston is very walkable; we love looking at the old houses and mansions.

Will definitely return to Charleston and Charleston Place has us sold!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 8 October 2010

This past summer two of my grandsons, ages 8 and 10, and I took a special trip together. They wanted to go to Charleston and even suggested a place to stay. I took their advise about the destination but rejected their hotel because it did not have a swimming pool. Charleston Place was perfect for us. One grandson said that this was the first time he had stayed in a hotel with a mall. Location and accomodations were perfect for a special grandfather/grandson stay.

• Stayed July 2010
Fairview, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 October 2010

I stayed at the Charleston Place Hotel for two nights during my company's annual conference in September.

Pros:
-Location. The hotel is only a short walk away from the Charleston Market, King Street and the many bars, shops and restaurants in the area. While a car is necessary for golf, beaches or other extended excursions, visitors could easily occupy themselves for days remaining within walking distance.
-Rooms. Clean, nicely appointed, with generously sized bathrooms and comfortable beds.
-Service. Due to a mixup on the part of our event planners, my room reservation was accidentally canceled. However, the employee at the front desk never balked and immediately found me a room during what appeared to be a busy week.
-Conference facilities. Similar to convention-oriented hotels in larger cities, Charleston Place has an entire wing of ballrooms to accommodate multiple events and create some separation between conference activities and vacationers. Event-specific wi-fi was available to attendees in the ballroom wing.

Cons:
-Price. After deciding to extend my stay in Charleston, I quickly dismissed the idea of staying at the Charleston Place due to price considerations. While a romantic vacation would be worth every penny, tacking a few days onto a conference for some sightseeing just didn't justify the luxury lodging.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 6 October 2010

I stayed at the Charleston Place last month while I was in town visiting friends and family. I don't need to mention that the property is beautiful. The pictures speak for themselves. What makes Charleston Place truly stand out is the service. The entire time, I was treated so well by the whole staff. They are clearly trained to give the guests a phenomenal experience from check-in to check-out. I'll most definitely be returning!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 6 October 2010

Charleston Place is the perfect place to recharge your batteries! Staff at every level is exceedingly gracious and hospitable. The rooms are clean, comfortable, and beautifully decorated. Beds are plush and bathrooms were deluxe. The location is perfect for sightseeing and shopping. We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Summerville, South Carolina
Reviewed 6 October 2010

Charleston Place is located in the downtown historic district of Charleston, SC and I love it!!!
The service I recieved can be rated in one word "SUPERIOR". I was pleasantly surprised at how courteous, polite, friendly and helpful everyone was beginning with the hotel operator, who answered the phone when I called to make reservations ,and ending with the Bellman who got my car when I checked out. They made me feel like I was their only guest!!
I will continue to and have been telling my colleages, family and friends to stay their whenever they are in Charleston, S.C.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo