“In the Center of Everything”

The Mills House Wyndham Grand Hotel
Ranked #20 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I was looking for a location in Charleston where we could be in the center of everything to see and do! I had heard about the Mills House and my family and I gave it a try. I would recommend this wonderful hotel to everyone. The location drew us in, but the whole atmosphere and experience kept us fascinated for days. That "Southern Charm" feeling takes over as soon as you check in and the helpful and friendly staff show what Southern Hospitality really means. I suggest a room on a higher floor to enjoy the view of this old quaint port town. Also take advantage of eating on the terrace as the experience is enhanced with light breezes and palmetto trees all around you. If you love to park the car and forget about it for your stay, walking and enjoying all that Charleston offers, the Mills House is the perfect choice.

Room Tip: Higher floors have the best views
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,567)

Reviewed 2 July 2012

The location can not be beat. We stayed for vacation purposes and I hate driving on vacation and this hotel was in the center of everything. The only time we drove was to the beach on our last day. We stayed in room 335, which was a suite.

Pros:
-Location
-Rob at front desk was very helpful on things to do
-Historic
-Priority Club Member free upgrade (I am platinum level)
-Free Drinks at check in
-Clean pool and facilities

Cons:
-Stayed on Queen Street side, there were deliveries every morning that woke us up varying from 5:30 until 9 a.m.
-They don't change your sheets if you stay for more than one night
-Different lady at the front desk was incredibly rude ( I just avoided her until Rob was there)
-Parking Garage, don't expect to find a spot on any level of the garage if it is a weekday, you are better off paying the extra $4 for valet.
-Parking is usually free at hotels that you are Platinum Priority Club member at....drink tickets don't suffice

*Bathroom was small, but I'm a get in and out type of girl so it didn't bother me much.

**if vacationing take the Palmetto Carriage tour, we took the private one. I wanted to be able to ask my own questions and not sit with any sweaty strangers. It was $135 for up to 4 people or $20 a person for a public tour.

Room Tip: Ask not to be on Queen Street side
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2012

From my review posted on FlyerTalk:

[B]Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?[/B]
Yes, very pleased.

[B]Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?[/B]
Booked two nights, one on poinits (25K) and one advance purchase ($150). Upgraded to top guest floor (7th Flr.), corner room (Jr. Suite).

[B]How are the rooms?[/B]
Medium size, bright and airy with nice furnishings; perfect size for two people.
Flat-screen with adequate choice of channels.
Kettle with tea/coffee set
View looking over the swimming pool/deck area.
Free wifi
Very quiet, central AC and well insulated walls.

[B]How is the exec. lounge?[/B]
N/A

[B]What was good and what was bad?[/B]

[B]Good:[/B]
- Hotel itself - Historic former residence of Civial War commander, General Lee.
- Onsite restaraunt Barbadoes (for lunch anyway)
- Staff was top-notch
- Location is right in the heart of everything, easy walking to all sight-seeing attractions.
- PC Platinum status recognized; free drink vouchers for fisrt night only.
- Nice room upgrade.

[B]Bad:[/B]
- Restrooms in desperate need of good, deep, thorough cleaning. Lots of mold found on the underside of bathtub soap dish and sink faucet. Classic case of housekeeping only cleaning what's on the surface.

[B]Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?[/B]
Yes, indeed. An enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2012

My sister and I wanted to return to Charleston where she had lived some sixteen years ago when her husband was in the military. So, she and I, along with her daughter, decided to return to the old city for the third week of June, 2012—just for old time’s sake. We began to scout around, but I had my heart set on The Mills House because on my last visit to Charleston four years ago when my second son was at Parris Island (Marine boot camp), I had purchased a journal, How Grand a Flame, about the Lawton family from the antebellum south. They were one of the first owners of the Mills House and because of this journal and the intriguing history of the era, I wanted to stay at Cecilia and Wallace Lawton's nostalgic hotel, and so it was settled. We would stay at the Mills House.

I first booked my reservation online, thinking I was getting Charleston's Best Package for $179 a night + $15 for an extra person. It included free valet parking and breakfast for two. When I got the conformation, the cost was $266 + the $15 for each night (four nights). So, I called the hotel and asked why. I was told that it was because I was coming in late Saturday night and the weekend (Thursday through Saturday) was $305 a night +$15 for the extra person. OK, I changed it to arrive on Sunday. Problem solved, or so I thought.

When we arrived, the first thing I noticed was how beautiful the hotel was. I was in awe. It was like stepping back in time with all the charm of an era gone by. We were so excited...and then I opened the door to my room. My heart sank. It was terrible, so small with no room to turn around. But the bathroom was even worse. It was about 7x7 with hardly any counter space and no fan to dispense the moisture from the shower, and then the door opening out to the patio was stuck closed. I had to slam against it to get it to open. And that's another thing. I was supposed to have a pool view. I didn't. It was a sundeck view. Sure, you could "see" the pool once outside, but I thought my room would open onto the pool. Not so.

Then, if the above wasn’t bad enough, I discovered we didn't have the free breakfast. I called the front desk and spoke with the manager. After going back and forth, I paid $1 more per night and got the breakfast. However, at that time, I had not yet realized I was supposed to have the free valet parking, too. For some reason, that little detail had slipped my mind, but I’ll address that down below.

After the first day of a three day stay, we were so unhappy with our accommodations that I began to call around to the other hotels in the area. That was when I discovered that I had been way overcharged. At the Anchorage, for example, I could have had a three room suite with free breakfast for the same price I was paying for The Mills House in a tiny room with no free breakfast (until I called it to their attention). I actually considered checking out the next day and booking the room at the Anchorage. I wish I had now, because, when I came home and checked my package online, I discovered that I did not get what I thought I had reserved. I did not get the free valet parking for one thing, but that is not all. Without the free parking, the price I paid was for the better room with the pool view. The room I got was the cheapest room they had, $137 + $15 per night, and I paid the price for the better one! And to top it off, I have since learned from talking to other, more wiser guests the day we checked out, that if you walk in off the street, you get the better room for $119. That’s $60 cheaper than if you booked it. History and charm be…well you know. I won’t be staying here again.

Room Tip: If you stay here and make a reservation, be sure to print out what you think you are paying for and...
1  Thank MKBaxley
Reviewed 30 June 2012

This was by far the worst hotel experience I've ever had. from the service to the room. I stayed here for three nights with 2 other people, and as soon as we walked in the staff treated us like we were below them. There was only one nice valet that was friendly and upbeat. The lobby is gorgeous, so we had high expectations for our room. Big mistake. The room was tiny and the carpet had visible stains. There was no room to walk, and the door going to the sundeck was a pain because it only opened if you slammed your body into it. The beds were uncomfortable, and small. And there was no refrigerator, microwave, or safe like you find in many hotels. Another negative, was the parking. You can't get to your car without the valet bringing it to the front of the hotel. And of course that's not free, unless you get it with your package.They ended up screwing up our package which was supposed to be Charleston's best package which we payed for and didn't get, and when we made the reservations no one told us about the dollar a day breakfast that we could have added. I found it online the first night there and called to ask about it. Overall we had a terrible time, and the service sucked to say the least. So unless you have money to waste, Don't go there.

Room Tip: If you have the money, I'd suggest a suite.
4  Thank Andria B
Reviewed 28 June 2012

This was the worse hotel I have stayed in since an Extended Stay hotel.

I arrived in Charleston and had a wonderful night at Woodlands Inn, Summerville, and stayed at Charleston Place for the next two nights. I can't say enough about these wonderful hotels and Charleston. I loved the city so much, I extended my stay for one night, and decided to use Hotwire. I purchased a hotel in the four star category and was assigned Mills House. It went downhill from there. It is a Holiday Inn. I don't know of any Holiday Inns in a four star category. Even Holiday Inn does not rate it as a four star.

I called ahead of time and requested a King and was told none were available. Upon arrival, I requested King and again, told nothing available. On my way to my room, I heard someone mention Priority Club floor. I am a Priority Club member and had given my number to front desk when I called but this floor was not offered to me.

Well, the room made me uncomfortable due to odor and very worn down furnishings and decor. I fellt like I was at a puppet show. I contacted front desk and housekeeping came up and offered to spray my room and called the manager to request another room for me. She was very nice. The manager, who also was nice said there was a King available due to someone who just checked out because they were "allergic" to hotel.

The King room was a tad better but when I pulled back the bedspread which was very worn and dated, it didin't look fresh enough for me. Needless to say, I made a few calls, received a great rate at Market Parvillion and left the hotel.

The Market Pavillion hotel was like a breath of fresh air. This is a true 4 star hotel that could actually go for 4.5 No compariosn.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank yvi
Reviewed 28 June 2012

We have stayed at the Mills House Hotel several times and have always had a great experience. My favorite thing about the hotel is the location - right in the middle of everything! So easy to walk just about anywhere. The valet parking situation is less than ideal. We've had to wait ... and wait ... and wait. So now we just park the car in the same garage the valet uses. A bit of a walk when you're carrying luggage, but saves time.

The rooms could use an update, but the beds are super comfy. I love the lobby and outdoor patio. The restaurant / bar staff is also very friendly.

We'll definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple