The Mills House Wyndham Grand Hotel
US$366
  • Pool
Savings alert! 20% below average rates

The price you found is 20% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$458/night.

Free cancellation until 31/05
Free cancellation until 26/05
US$373
US$352
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$401/night.

Free cancellation until 29/05
US$237
US$213
  • Restaurant
Francis Marion Hotel(Charleston)(Great Value!)
US$246
US$214
Savings alert! 39% below average rates

The price you found is 39% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$348/night.

King Charles Inn(Charleston)
US$240
US$217
Official Website
Holiday Inn Express Charleston(Charleston)(Great Value!)
US$135
US$124
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$143/night.

US$130
US$124
Harbourview Inn(Charleston)
US$394
US$329
Agoda.com
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$368/night.

3,696 results
All reviewsbarbadoes roomgreat locationbarbados roompoogan's porchqueen streetwithin walking distanceholiday innhistoric districtvalet parkingbeautiful courtyardrooms are smallcorner roommeeting streetsouthern charmper daycharming hoteldowntown charleston
Reviewed 31 January 2014

You can't beat the location of this hotel. Well furnished and comfortable, the staff was very warm and friendly. I would definitely return to this hotel on our next trip to Charleston. We had a corner room which was very nice. The hotel is under renovation. The restaurant is relocated and smaller, but food was good. Mr. Ansari in the restaurant was very friendly and we enjoyed visiting with him. The construction did not disturb us or alter or vacation at all. FYI- the fitness room is closed right now with renovations as well. They have a deal with a local club a free blocks away.

Room Tip: We asked for a corner room with a nicer view. I think the rooms with the best view would be the direction of the circular church or where we were 715.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Brad B, General Manager at The Mills House Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

I was glad to read of your enjoyable visit to The Mills House Wyndham Grand. It was our pleasure to be of service.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

Most recently I visited this well reputed historical authentic hotel that came highly recommended from our contacts in Charleston, while on an important business trip. Had an awesome experience that I will not forget with superb customer service, excellent Valet Services that went above and beyond my expectations with such friendly attitude and great suggestion for local food spots…

I did have some issues with cleanliness of the room as my sheet did had a stain that I only recognized in the morning of the next from my first night, that I politely brought up to the ladies who clean the rooms and that was addressed and I verified when I returned later that evening. Also another annoying aspect of cleaning perspectives that I had was the fact my pizza boxes for two nights were never thrown away that were placed with used soda bottles and trash items.

Furthermore, due to a mix-up in billing my reservation extension was not properly billed and after 5 business days after my departure, I awoke to a lovely charge alert on my credit card unexpectedly from their establishment! I knew that I have cleared all of my charges when I checked out and so there should have been no reason for such a charge. Contacted the Fraud Team with my banking establishment and engaged a conference call that took over 1.5 hours of my morning today, not a pleasant experience to get to the bottom of the issue.

What was not appreciated and simply bad practice of business was that the receivable department, without notifying me decided to charge my credit card for the amount that was due that simply was somehow not captured in their system with the reservation company. Believe, it would be in the best interest of this reputable hotel to correct these types of actions; as I promise if I don’t hear something positive back from your management in correcting such actions for the future and I will never return to your establishment based on this failure in your billing practice, as it truly was disappointing!

The customer should always be aware when they are charged for any services rendered, not blindsided like what occurred to me today which truly ruined my day.
Hope to hear better news in the future.

Mãz Moezzi

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 January 2014

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
Reviewed 27 January 2014

The Mills House has a mix of pros and cons, but its style and location overshadow any other shortcoming.

Pros:
1. The Mills House is exactly where you want it to be in downtown Charleston. You can step out the door and stroll the classic streets of Charleston, find a perfect seafood restaurant, or walk along the water. Tip: walk around the corner to Poogan's Porch, for the perfect, simple southern lunch.

2. The lobby bar and restaurant was friendly, tasty, and like the rest of the hotel, provided a classic back drop for a cocktail or outdoor brunch.

3. Even with its dead center location, the hotel still has a small pool in an interior courtyard, which, during a steaming summer visit, was very welcoming.

Cons:
1. Parking is not particularly convenient, as the garage is around back and a few minute walk to the lobby. Not a terrible nuisance given the ideal location, but if parking right out front of your room for free is important to you, beware.

2. The rooms are not very updated, although they were clean and spacious. The rooms will not impress those who have stayed in W's, Park Hyatts, or Ritz's, but they were appropriately styled, and comfortable.

Another tip for those who have not visited to Charleston often: make reservations at restaurants early! While there are many choices around the hotel, these are the most popular places and get booked up fast.

Bottom line, the hotel provided a pleasant atmosphere for a long weekend away with my girlfriend. It was her first time in Charleston, and she loved the hotel, the town, and the whole experience. Particularly the sunny outdoor brunch in the courtyard, our friendly bartender who mixed up some great cocktails before a night out, and the perfectly walkable location. If it made her happy, then well, isn't that all I can ask for? To top it off, the hotel building has a storied history of hosting dignitaries, diplomats, and royalty. While that doesn't make for a more comfortable stay, it did add an intangible charm.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I cant say enough good things about this hotel. The staff, particularly front desk and valet, were outstanding and bent over backwards to ensure a quality vacation. The location in the historic district should not be missed and our south facing room in January gave ample sunlight. I actually paid for a night voluntarily when we vacated the room while visiting family in North Carlina because of the experience my family and I had. I have never stayed in such a quiet room in any hotel, which I greatly appreciated. I am a big fan of this spot now and cannot wait to make a future reservation.

Room Tip: south facing room to optimize sunlight
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family