“HO HUM!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #23 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Charleston, South Carolina
“HO HUM!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2010

Stayed during the week, for one night on Tuesday night. Not a lot of business so, since we live in Charleston and were celebrating out 42nd. anniversary, I worked the day and drove downtown arriving in the evening. We ask if we might be able to have a late checkout, since we were checking in, in the evening and the desk individual said sure, she could charge us for another half day ($75) and we could check out late the next day. I ask her how business was and she indicated slow. I can understand why.

While the room was fine and the hotel nice, good service might have made a future customer of theirs. As is, they must be hurting for money and certainly I'll have to think again before I consider their place in the off season.

Frank Smith

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
Niagara Region Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Mills House in late August. We had a great time. The room was spacious, easy access to restaurants, and easy to drive to. The front desk staff were great, along with the wonderful pool and lounge area.

The drinks at the bar were a little expensive, but on par with most hotel lounges.

Charleston is a great place to visit, we ate at some great restaurants, including Magnolias. Magnolias is by far one of the best restaurants we have ever been to.

My only complaint was the bed was a little soft (but comfortable) for my liking.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Phoenixville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2010

After a bit of a challenge finding the hotel but with helpful directions from the front desk staff (the name Mills House is prominently displayed on the building but unfortunately I was looking for Holiday Inn!), we were happy to check in to the Mills House. The entire facility is lovely and my fourth floor room overlooking the pool was clean, comfortable, and well equipped. Everyone was friendly and helpful and we quite enjoyed our ability to use the hotel as a home base while we explored the city. When I return to Charleston, I will definitely stay here again. It has the feel of a small independent hotel with the benefits that being part of a chain provide.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2010

We stayed a night with our 3 teenagers in August; the location is great , in the heart of the historic district ;Hotel building is beautiful, fitting elegantly in the Historic District. Beautiful lobby,lovely courtyard and terrace, nice bar .At night, the boys appreciated the outdoor pool while we were having a drink on the terrace . We stayed on the 7th floor and the rooms were exactly as described on websites : nice decoration, good bedding, very clean.
We really enjoyed our stay here and found the hotel much better than the Holiday Inn Historic District, on Calhoun St, were we stayed 2 years ago. Parking: there is a cheaper public parking close by.
A real find in Charleston .

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
New Baltimore, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2010

I read a lot of reviews and was very skeptical of my stay. I didn't know what to do as I read many different reviews. I am so picky as my rooms have to be VERY clean and pleasant to look at. I set high expectations. So we arrived and to my surprpise, I was VERY pleased with the hotel. The lobby was georgous and rich in history. The rooms were of decor fitting for theme and ambiance of the hotel, but again very clean. I really cannot complain about anything (which is rare) other than the bathrooms are VERY small. But considering the year the hotel was established, you would have to expect that. I would stay there again, no matter what the price. The location is excellent. Remember just use the desk area to get ready ladies !! Enjoy ..

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
COLUMBUS, OHIO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2010

I first stayed at the Mills House 35+ years ago, and it still maintains its high quality low country charm and service. Barbadoes Room has wonderful desserts - Mud Pie, Key Lime Pie and others. Have breakfast in the beautiful Courtyard by the fountain. Room was not huge but was very tasteful and had a fine view of the Charleston "skyline" - beautiful church steeples. The Mills House is more manageable than Charleston Place (also an excellent hotel) and has a more convenient location. It just exemplifies the beautiful city.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2010

The finest hotel we have ever stayed in!
Our stay at ‘The Mills House’ in Charleston, South Carolina was a truly unforgettable and phenomenal experience. The interior of this hotel was atmospheric and a vision to behold. The hotel was decorated with taste, passion, imagination and flair. Our bedroom was the epitome of comfort and luxury. The sheer individuality and character of this hotel make it must for anyone to stay! My husband and I are in no doubt that we will return to ‘The Mills House’ sometime in the near future.

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple